Dinner Seating

@Ditzy Diner I would do exactly what @Woody14 recommended. As soon as you are able, ask the dining room staff to help make those adjustments. I would do it as soon as you are able to ensure it all gets taken care of. The closer it gets to dinner time, the longer/more chaotic the lines will be. It's very likely you will be able to get both you and your family on the same dining time. Hopefully you are both assigned to dine in the same dining room! When is your cruise?

@Ditzy Diner I agree with what others have advised. You will need to speake with the head of dinning which will be at the entrance of the restaurant in an officers uniform.  

on my last cruise in september i had an issue with my dinning as i was approved for early dinning but for whatever reason the system put me for anytime... barf.  Now comes the twist in the past I've had to make ding ING changes and the person was always available prior to opening g time however during my Alaska cruise noone was available until the time the restaurant opened which was a real pain so be prepared for that possibility. I would maybe make sure your whole family is with you when talking to them

@Ditzy Diner  I would agree with all of these suggestions.  The first thing we do when we get onboard is to head to the MDR and speak to either the maître d' or whomever is at the reception desk to check our table assignments.  We tend to go for the 2-top tables rather than being a part of a group.  It's just better for us, especially for long cruises.

The dining staff are always helpful in switching us out to a table we prefer.  They either do it right there on the spot, or more often they put us on a "waiting list" and then we'll receive confirmation later that day in our cabin of the change (or lately we notice is on the HUB app as to the change).  But, the key is to get to them first thing onboard.

On only one occasion were they unable to find a table for us at early dining that worked.  So, we stepped out and went to YTD dining instead.  We actually liked that as it gave us more flexibility to stay in port.  Many of the ports had sail away times after early dining started.  So, that helped with better use of our time.  We did however miss having the same waiters each night that knew our preferences and didn't give us a chance to get to know the wait staff well as usual.  But, we had some great waiters nevertheless and got to sit all over the MDR as a result which was fun too.

A quick reminder.  Many of the ships have 2 MDR venues.  So, if you go to one and there's no one there, trek over to the other one.  We found this to be the case multiple times that they only pre-staff one.

• Like 1

@RoadTravelled It's such a great idea to approach the maître d' and ask about seating arrangements. I will be cruising with another family this month, and I want to ensure we are sitting at the same table together in the MDR. It's a brilliant idea to stop in there and ensure we are all at one big table together. Thanks for reminding me of this. I have our bookings linked, but we booked at alternate times. I also have a slightly better booking package so I want to make sure we are still together even though the rooms are linked. This is another great tip, ensuring we are all in the same MDR. I can't imagine how much more of a headache it would be to switch dining rooms! Although I typically fleet to the buffet first, on this cruise I will go straight to the MDR. Your input is much appreciated! You may have just saved our dining experience. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 8:18 AM, Ditzy Diner said:

Assignment is second seating. Family has first. What can be done? I am afraid of Dine your time that we will ear at 4 ir 11 pm please advice

I would do what the others have suggested.

Just an FYI. If you had anytime dining or whatever Carnival calls their version of it you would eat when you choose between 5:15pm and 9pm.

• Thanks 1

@Old Cruiser Thanks for the tip! I haven't had My Time dining in such a long time. I believe the program has advanced so much since my cruise with that dining flexibility. It's very nice to stroll up to dinner whenever you feel like it. On my recent cruises I chose the early dining time slot. Sometimes it's great and other times I wish I had more flexibility to dine a bit later based on the ship itinerary for the day. 

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem I've seen with CCL anytime dining is they make you use the hub app to say you're ready to be seated and usually there is a large crowd waiting g to get in so you end up waiting 30-60 minutes utes to get seated.

I personally select early dining as this allows a lot more flexibility for shows, comedy clubs and other activities. I do agree at times it does at times creat a short window between re boarding at a port and dinner and it makes it usually difficult to see sunsets. I guess I pick my battles.

@euroguy I wouldn't want to wait to be seated. If that's the case, I would prefer to dine at the selected dining time. I prefer the predictability piece of not not having to wait. Once I roll up to the dining room, I'm ready to eat! I also enjoy the early dining hour when possible. I don't mind leaving a port early to make it back in time to get ready before my dinner slot either. The MDR experience is a luxury I hate to miss. I typically try to dine in the MDR as often as possible, including lunch and breakfast if the schedule allows. Sometimes it's harder to make lunch in the MDR when you are having a good time out by the pool. Pizza and burgers can end up being more convenient if you have a good spot near the poolside entertainment!