I am very disappointed with Royal Caribbean.  My family and I were looking forward to cruising on Icon of the Seas.  Several of my family members and myself have serious allergies and asthma.  We are allergic to dogs and cats/pet dander.  These are medical conditions that can be deadly. They do not get the same attention as peanut allergies and other allergies. 

Rover is an indication that Royal will be changing its pet policy.  Why is this forced on all guests?  Rover is not a service dog, because people are playing with him and petting him.  Service dogs are not supposed to be played with or petted.  When Royal changes its pet policy, how many pets will be allowed on a cruise.  Imagine the dog hair from people clothes that will go into the restaurants.  Imagine that in the Windjammer.  That is not a sanitary image.  Everyone does not feel the same about a pet as the pet owner.  I understand how much people love their pets.  I would feel the same, if I had that opportunity; but, I would not force my pet on others or inconvenient others.  Royal is our favorite cruise line and cruising is our favorite vacation.  Now, we have to make changes.

• Like 1

@Helen Mitchell One thing I have noticed for sure is that Royal Caribbean is really accepting of dogs. I don't have an allergy to animals, but this must be very frustrating as a guest with a pet allergy. I think it's admirable that cruise lines allow service animals for guests that need it, but I'm not an animal lover so I try to avoid the animals onboard if I'm being honest. There are plenty of other cruise lines that either have more strict pet policies and/or don't really have many pets onboard. CCL does attract dogs, but I don't think you spot them much at all on Celebrity Cruises and MSC Cruises. RCL is a wonderful line and it's a bummer you are now having to contemplate cruising with another line. I have a feeling Icon of the Seas is going to attract plenty of pets at sea. 

Bow Wow. I once called and asked if I could bring my support pet Fluffy on my cruise and they said NO, no pythons. I was heartbroken...

On a more serious note, the cruise lines should charge for each pet as a passenger, including the daily gratuities fee. Each pet gets a bag of dry food per week.

• Haha 1

@kefthecruiser I'm not going to lie; I really like this idea. This may deter the influx of pets at sea. Perks may include all you can bark packages starting at $99 per day. I guess it's cheaper to bring your dog friend than your human friend onboard right now, conversation is minimal but companionship is second to none! Dry food is a pain to bring along, so a food-included options sounds really great. The wet food option could come at a premium. It could be a great way to reduce food waste onboard. Dogs love meat scraps and leftovers. There could be a clean up dog crew after hours. They are also incredible at cleaning up crumbs off the floor! It's one reason I wish I had a dog actually. My friends with dogs don't have to clean up around their children's high chairs. I'm the only foolish one who sweeps up three times a day. 

• 2 months later...

Service dogs for blind folks...absolutely.  But if your mental condition is so frail that you need to bring a dog...absolutely not.  That also goes for those who just can't bear to leave the mutt home.   On land, if l  see that a restaurant allows dogs,  that is my last visit and I inform the manager why.  Dogs belong in the yard. 

• Thanks 1

@Joeblow I partially agree. If you are blind, a service dog can be so beneficial! Since I don't have a mental health condition, it's hard for me to assume that a dog isn't imperative or beneficial. I also haven't had a service dog. My family dogs were always just a pain so to think a trained dog is able to assist in a mental health scenarios seems far fetched, but I have seen some people with special needs really benefit from a service dog. I agree most regular dogs belong in a yard. I wouldn't really want an indoor dog, personally. Service dogs do serve great benefits. I don't mind really imperative service dogs onboard, but the idea of bringing your "service pet" along on your vacation for fun doesn't sit well with me. For the record, I have lots of friends that bring their dogs onboard their cruise itineraries that aren't even service dogs. The supporting documentation needed to bring your "service" dog onboard is slim to none.