Traveling With A Passport

When we first began cruising, we always carried our passports when we left the ship. Now, things are different. All we need is our sail and sign card and a government issued photo ID. At our age, health issues may crop up at any time so we do carry a photo copy of our passport. It's just so much easier to leave the passport in the cabin safe - no worries about losing it. We also go into a port with a minimum of cash and one credit card. We have photo copies of all of our cards and the appropriate phone numbers in case of any emergency. We've never had any problems off the ship but being prepared, to the extent we can, is the way to go.

• Thanks 1

@Tootie I do agree with some you state like limit cash, 1 credit card and making photo copies of credit cards and passport.  

With that said i think carrying a copy of your passport really is not very effective as if you needed to seek sanctury in a u.s. embassy or proof of citizenship a copy will not hold up, nor a government issue I.d. I would recommend to get a passport card which is as good as your actual passport and the size of a driver's license. This way you can carry the card with you and leave the actual passport on ship. If you don't have the card you can order one. If you don't want to do that then I would carry the actual passport and leave a copy on the ship safe.  Also I've never been asked for my drivers license when reboarding the ship at a port, all port personnel and ship security ask for the sail and sign card and when scan it shows on there computer your picture to verify its really you. 

Consider this... would you travel by air to another country, let's say in Europe would you leave your passport at the hotel? The answer should be No!! It's your proof of citizenship and undisputed proof of identity.  A cruise ship would be no different.

Edited by euroguy
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Tootie I always bring my passport off of the ship as a just in case measure, but the idea of leaving it behind sounds luxurious. I get nervous walking away from my bag at the beach/water-based excursions because that's where I end up storing the passports. I always get so anxious that I wouldn't be able to get back on the ship without them. A copy is a great thought. It would feel better to at least a copy, but it would also feel less risky. What if I ended up loosing the passports while off at the port? That would be too awful. I struggled enough to get my daughter's here on time before this cruise. We forgot to put her gender on the renewal and it messed everything up. Let's just say it ended up being the most expensive passport ever. 

@Kendall James-Vargas you should get the passport card, it's about the size of a driver's license and also hard plastic. This way you can leave your passport on ship and carry the card or vise versa 

I keep hearing people saying they are concerned about getting g back on the ship without their passport in hand... I've never been asked for anything other than my sign n sail card which the ship scans and shows your picture. Im really confussed by this fear... have you had to show your passport to get back on ship???? 

i fully understand the stress of getting g a passport... couple years ago I didn't realize my passport had expired and booked a cruise and was 4 weeks out ...no appointments for several weeks and then the processing time... so had to camp out all night at a post office to be a walk in, then hired a expedited service that would walk my application in and process my application same day.  I received my passport in 5 days. Yep never will I let it expire again lol. 

• Thanks 1

@euroguy That's a great idea, and likely a bit more affordable too. I don't think I have actually ever had to show my passport to get back on the ship but you just never know. That's my fear, the unknown! We just waited way too long for this passport and had to expedite it initially, but then we missed one piece on information (that the clerk overlooked as well). At that point we had to mail additional information and a physical addendum to correct this issue. At that point they processed the information as correct and we had to pay an additional fee to have it expedited again. Then it was taking too long and we had to request to change the shipping address it to our Florida property address in order to receive it in time. They sent it to our other home address and left it on the doorstep. I had to call a neighbor to rush to grab it, run to the post office, resend it to use at an overnight fee of $70. It's been such a headache; I basically have an unhealthy relationship with the passport now because it's so valuable.

@Kendall James-Vargas oh my... you soumd traumatized and certainly need you upcoming cruise and maybe a spa  massage while on the ship 😇

Rwgarding the passport card, i ordered mine at same time I applied for passport. I believe you can order it separately.

I agree i would never leave the ship without either my passport or passport card as it's the one and only real proof of citizenship in the event of an emergency while off ship, but never ever fear about getting back on ship without it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@euroguy It was a headache but it all worked itself out in the end! It felt good to vent about it on the boards though. It's a reminder to all to not wait until the last minute for anything. I blame my husband for the entire experience. I'm more of a "get it done a year in advance" type of person. This may be why I booked another cruise for two years out onboard this last cruise! The deposits and onboard cruise credit were just too good to pass up. The only downside, cruising out of a cruise port that is a little inconvenient for me. It's a new-to-me port of embarkation so I'm excited to give it a go. I definitely learned my lesson about the passport though. I will never wait that long again. In case of an emergency, I always want to have an active passport in hand regardless if I have a cruise planned or not. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 1:31 PM, Kendall James-Vargas said:

@euroguy It was a headache but it all worked itself out in the end! It felt good to vent about it on the boards though. It's a reminder to all to not wait until the last minute for anything. I blame my husband for the entire experience. I'm more of a "get it done a year in advance" type of person. This may be why I booked another cruise for two years out onboard this last cruise! The deposits and onboard cruise credit were just too good to pass up. The only downside, cruising out of a cruise port that is a little inconvenient for me. It's a new-to-me port of embarkation so I'm excited to give it a go. I definitely learned my lesson about the passport though. I will never wait that long again. In case of an emergency, I always want to have an active passport in hand regardless if I have a cruise planned or not. 

John Heald recommends leaving passports on the ship.

• Thanks 1

@Old Cruiser Well if John Heald said it, I should trust his word for it! I trust his judgement for ports familiar to me, but when it comes to exploring foreign territory, I'm hesitant. On my last cruise, I took @euroguy's advice and left it behind, but I went to ports I had visited in the past. You just never know when you may need it in an emergency situation. Sometimes I think the likelihood I will loose it is likely higher than that of me actually needing it off-ship in an emergency situation. Do you typically leave your passport on the ship when you cruise?

4 hours ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

@Old Cruiser Well if John Heald said it, I should trust his word for it! I trust his judgement for ports familiar to me, but when it comes to exploring foreign territory, I'm hesitant. On my last cruise, I took @euroguy's advice and left it behind, but I went to ports I had visited in the past. You just never know when you may need it in an emergency situation. Sometimes I think the likelihood I will loose it is likely higher than that of me actually needing it off-ship in an emergency situation. Do you typically leave your passport on the ship when you cruise?

We never take our passports. They go into our safe and stay there until it's time to disembark.

This is the Q & A from John Heald on 1/30/24

John Heald 

12h  · 

Name: D---

Message: Hi John. There has recently been a discussion on what to do with your passport when leaving the ship in port. Some people say you should bring your passport with you at all times in a foreign country, and others have said you are supposed to leave your passport in your cabin's safe. It had been mentioned that Carnival will assume the responsibility of getting your passport to you in the event it is needed (ie a medical emergency) or leave it with someone in port if you miss the ship.

People on both sides of the discussion have stated Carnival has an official policy regarding this and each side states the policy backs their argument.

Can you provide any clarity to this discussion?

What should people do with their travel documents while in port?

Thank you!

---------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much, it’s a very very good question and when this is asked, it’s always a good time for me to remind everybody what we recommend. You should not take your original passport with you when you go ashore.

Most people will take a photocopy of their passport or use a drivers license or something similar to show the local security when returning to the ship.

In case of an emergency which meant you could not return to the ship we do indeed have a policy in place. Your passport would be collected from the guest cabin ( including retrieving it from the safe) and by our housekeeping officers, a Guest Services officer and someone from our security team

We would then return the passport to the ships agent. We have one in every single Port who takes care of the ships needs during the time there. The agent would return the original passport to you.

What do you take ashore with you as documentation?

cheers

@Old Cruiser Thanks for sharing that comment. It's impressive John Heald was that bold to share his stance on leaving passports behind. I just don't think a copy is good enough in every situation. Particularly when cruising to areas with travel advisories, I don't know if it's safer to bring them along or safer not to in case your personal belongings end up being stolen. If I'm booking an excursion with the cruise line, and just doing that, the idea of bringing a passport photo copy seems like a no brainer. If I end up exploring on my own, keeping my documentation with me is a solid choice. Imagine this, you don't make it back to the ship in time because your rental car breaks down and the cruise ship leaves you behind, taking along with it everything you left in the stateroom. This situation would leave you stranded in a foreign country with no documentation! That's a big risk to take! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 3Sisters said:

@Old Cruiser Thanks for sharing that comment. It's impressive John Heald was that bold to share his stance on leaving passports behind. I just don't think a copy is good enough in every situation. Particularly when cruising to areas with travel advisories, I don't know if it's safer to bring them along or safer not to in case your personal belongings end up being stolen. If I'm booking an excursion with the cruise line, and just doing that, the idea of bringing a passport photo copy seems like a no brainer. If I end up exploring on my own, keeping my documentation with me is a solid choice. Imagine this, you don't make it back to the ship in time because your rental car breaks down and the cruise ship leaves you behind, taking along with it everything you left in the stateroom. This situation would leave you stranded in a foreign country with no documentation! That's a big risk to take! 

@3Sisters  As a bit more information, John Heald confirmed that in the case of passengers not making it back onshore before departure, the ship's crew has specific procedures.  These include certain identified crew going to that person's cabin and removing any documents found in the safe or other places and leaving them with the onshore agent for Carnival.  Every port has an agent responsible for being CCL's point of contact.  You may have seen these names on materials passed out as you disembark the ship at the port.

Having said that, I still get extremely nervous about getting back to the ship way ahead of the appointed time, regardless of the issue about passports.  I just freak out that I'm going to be left behind.  So, I feel your concern for sure.

If you search countries on the State Department web travel advisory site, there are some that say it is required by law that people have their original passport on their person — photocopies are not good enough.  Just something else to think about.  

• Thanks 1

Prior to having a passport card, which is similar to a driver's license but for your passport I would always carry my passport... now I leave my passport on ship and carry my passport card, which is easier. 

Bottom line is passport or passport card is a key instrument when in a foriegn country to.prove your citizenship, divers license won't cut it. If you need to go to u.s. embassy passport is essential, especially if things go bad and it's on lockdown and you're seeking safety.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Be proactive v. reactive 😁

• Thanks 1

@RoadTravelled Thanks for sharing this information with me! I had no idea that some areas require physical passports and that photo copies won't suffice. I'm glad you shared an alternate perspective. Sometimes I'm so nervous about making it back to the ship in time that I book an excursion through the line just in case, although I would have preferred to just go off and do something on my own.

@euroguy A passport card is a great idea. I guess I just haven't jumped the gun to purchase one, but passport cards are even waterproof I think. Is that correct? I love that analogy, it's better to be proactive than reactive. @FJB I'm glad you agree with me here. 

2 hours ago, 3Sisters said:

@RoadTravelled Thanks for sharing this information with me! I had no idea that some areas require physical passports and that photo copies won't suffice. I'm glad you shared an alternate perspective. Sometimes I'm so nervous about making it back to the ship in time that I book an excursion through the line just in case, although I would have preferred to just go off and do something on my own.

@euroguy A passport card is a great idea. I guess I just haven't jumped the gun to purchase one, but passport cards are even waterproof I think. Is that correct? I love that analogy, it's better to be proactive than reactive. @FJB I'm glad you agree with me here. 

Just check the itinerary you are going on for the requirements. Most closed loop cruises the go to the Caribbean or the Bahamas don't have ports that require a passport. If they did you wouldn't be able to embark with just a birth certificate and govt ID.

• Thanks 1

@Old Cruiser That's true! It really depends on where you are cruising to. This may come as a shock, but I have never boarded a cruise (even a close loop cruise) without my passport. I know I could just show up with my  birth certificate and government ID, but I still use my passport anyways. Maybe after I become more and more seasoned at close loop cruising I would give it a try. I just feel more secure always having it just in case. It's one of those emergency situation ideas I have stuck in my mind. It feels like the best form of identification if there was an emergency. This whole perspective goes to show how I'm not much of a risk taker.

22 hours ago, 3Sisters said:

@Old Cruiser That's true! It really depends on where you are cruising to. This may come as a shock, but I have never boarded a cruise (even a close loop cruise) without my passport. I know I could just show up with my  birth certificate and government ID, but I still use my passport anyways. Maybe after I become more and more seasoned at close loop cruising I would give it a try. I just feel more secure always having it just in case. It's one of those emergency situation ideas I have stuck in my mind. It feels like the best form of identification if there was an emergency. This whole perspective goes to show how I'm not much of a risk taker.

If you have a passport you might as well use it. I use mine even when we fly domestically.

• Thanks 1

@Old Cruiser That's a great way to see it. If you have it, you might as well use it! I wish that I could have a waterproof passport. Putting it in a waterproof bag would likely be a good call. I never do that, but it's a good idea, extra precautionary. 

I read this pretty awesome article that addresses this topic in further detail. I know @euroguy speaks very highly of his passport card. I'm considering it for closed loop sailings. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/u-s-passport-card-vs-book-whats-the-difference/55074

image.thumb.png.ee587aa493c3b2259bfcf581f496e018.png

• 2 weeks later...

@3Sisters that's a great article and will help many travelers decide what's best for them. As you mentioned i am a big supportwr of the card hiwever with that stated i do carry both the card and book on all sailings.  depending on my destination dictates which one i bring with me off ship. As the artical mentions mexico and Caribbean work well for the card.

@euroguy Thanks for sharing what documentation you bring along. That's a really brilliant strategy. For most local ports, I would feel confident with the passport card, but anything in another continent makes me hesitant.

@Old Cruiser It's a great idea to use it for domestic flights too. I didn't even think to do that! 

@3Sisters youre absolutly correct, i would 100% bring my passport book to different continent which you probably would have to anyways as you would need to go through customs and even CCL says on certsin sailings you will need the actual passport book and visas for the country visiting and if you dont have your papers in order you wont be able to board the ship and no refund issued. Matter of fact i just recently received an email regardi g this point. @Old Cruiser i have pre check so i can skip the long tsa lines and everytime i fly i use my passport book for all things related to flying and never anything else. takes out all the questions or issues.

• Thanks 1

@euroguy That's true! I have been eying some transatlantic sailings and would love to cruise from the US across the Atlantic to a new continent! The fact that you could miss you entire cruise and not be refunded would be horrid. That's almost like my worst nightmare! It's certainly worth noting that passport books are important, and it is important to bring them along outside of the Caribbean/US territories (for the most part). Did CCL send you the email?