Cruise and Rubber Ducks

My wife and I noticed the rubber duck social activity that passengers have been doing. It's definitely catching on with many cruisers.  Although, the ducks are not overabundant. I kept my eye open for hidden ducks for a 10 night cruise and saw one hidden myself. My wife found 2 ducks in her rounds. We had brought maybe 20 ducks and they were special with a bible script, and note to rehide.  Mostly we hid the ducks in teen and young children's areas to make children happy.  My wife is a retired school teacher and would even hand a rubber duck to children we pass.  It is a good thing and I truly hope no one ever throws a duck overboard.

• Thanks 1

@MJK The idea of keeping the ducks spare is a great choice. I love the thrill of the hunt! They get passed around anyhow so they really could pop up anywhere. 

@Cerfer39 It's just something fun to find. There is nothing wrong with a little fun. I also hope that no one ever throws the ducks overboard. That would ruin everyone's fun. They don't belong in the ocean, and it would not be safe for our marine life. I would imagine most guests are aware of this. I wouldn't venture to throw anything overboard. That would be disrespectful and against cruise rules!

If Carnival banned cruising ducks I'm  not sure the cruise would be the same for us. We live playing hide and seek with the ducks and walking around the ship hunting or hiding the ducks helps us to get our 5 miles of walking every day. Anyone who has witnessed  one of the younger people finding a duck would never ask for them to be banned! I would love for Carnival to provide a way to really track the ducks....it would add to the fun if you could go to a website and see what ships and different ports the duck you found has visited. On our last cruise we sailed for seven days and found 52 ducks....we fully intend to move them to our next cruise and hope they continue to travel. Wake up Carnival this is a fun activity that many people enjoy.....you should not only be accepting it you should be promoting it!!!!!

• Thanks 1

@Sandra young That's a very ambitious walking goal! Five miles a day is not for the faint of heart. It's a pleasure to hear you have enjoyed this lighthearted fun of hiding cute rubber ducks. The game is particularly fun for children. My children surely enjoy it, and it's a novelty to find/hide them. The tracking of ducks is a fun idea, but very unlikely considering the cost that may be associated. I can't believe you found 52 ducks! You must have had such a great bunch of duck lovers onboard that cruise. I feel lucky to find one or two on my cruise itineraries lately. I think CCL is one of the cruise lines that participates the most in this ducky activity. At least CCL is still on board the fun train, and hopefully, cruise lines like DCL will change their stance on discouraging ducks. There is no need to be a killjoy! 

CCL Ambassador John Heald addressed the whole banning of the ducks, to which has stated the CCL has NO intention to ban or remove the ducks from the CCL cruise ships.  

I for one am a full supporter of Donald and Donald juniors being hidden about the ship.  I don't intentionally go out seeking them but I do stumble across 1 per cruise and it puts a huge smile on my face each time....and I'm a grown adult, what more for kids. 

@euroguy You have to love John Heald! Rubber duck fun is here to stay and guests are thrilled about it. Why hate on the ducks? They didn't do anything wrong. I don't see the point in banning them, but maybe I'm just missing the memo. I would feel differently if they were disruptive or vulgar, but they are too cute to dislike! The crew has to love them. They keep things fresh and exciting. What's not to love?

• 2 weeks later...

@Northlakefamily This is very exciting, for you and those who will be cruising amongst you! I think the idea of rubber ducks onboard is such a classic example of cruise culture. Cruise lovers are very likely to join in on any fun-filled activity, and I love how fun-focused cruisers can be. Everyday of your itinerary the ducks onboard will undoubtedly bring smiles to more guests than you can count. Will this be your first time cruising onboard Carnival Sunshine? CCL is very accepting of rubber duckies onboard and most guests will welcome them with excitement! It's so lovely to see how one simple measure can bring so much joy onboard a ship.