David Statue from Carnival Pride - Returns!!

Previously the removal of the "David" statue from the Carnival Pride was discussed in length by many here. Yes I was one of the contributors and was on the Pride when it was still on the ship.

I recently read that since the removal from the Pride, the David statue is suppose to be relocated onto the Italian Fun Ship Firenze during it dry dock prior to relocating to Long Beach port. 

I will be cruising on the Firenze in September this year and curious to see if it's on board. It seems fitting to be on an Italian themed ship.

What are your thoughts about the return of that David statue and being on an Italian Fun Ship???

Edited by euroguy
  • Like 1

• euroguy changed the title to David Statue from Carnival Pride - Returns!!

@euroguy  I think this would be a perfect place to put it, given that of course the "real" statute is on display in Florence (Firenze), Italy.  Will be curious to see if this happens.  I've been fortunate to see the one in Florence on two occasions and there's a definite reason it is considered a masterpiece.  Keep us posted please!

• Like 1

@RoadTravelled I didn't realize that Florence was the location of the original David statue.  That is cool youve been able to see the original and you are correct it would only be fitting for it to be placed on the Firenze.

I truly hope that it becomes reality. Time will tell.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@euroguy You may be able to catch it onboard your upcoming Carnival Firenze itinerary! I doubt it will be so taboo on an Italian-style ship. It's immaculate art. I don't know why it got so much negative attention on Carnival Pride. I think David is going to be a great look onboard Carnival Firenze, and I hope you share a photo of the statue on the boards if you get the chance to spot him!

image.thumb.png.f0cff43d5513fce93e65771f94424843.png

@RoadTravelled I think it's going to be a hit onboard! It must have been such an unforgettable sight to see the real David in person. 

@euroguy You have a good opportunity of seeing it on your upcoming itinerary. It's a statement statue for sure, but that's the point of a statue to me. Even if you don't catch him onboard, I believe the cruise will still feel like a piece of Italy. I hope David is brought on because it would complete the theme of the ship perfectly! 

@3Sisters I have a feeling I will see the David statue on my Sept cruise with the Firenze.  I suspect it will be put on the ship during dry dock/refit which is scheduled  prior to coming to long beach. I will of course give an update when I return but that's a few month out still.

• Like 1

@euroguy I'm hopeful too. If it didn't make it onboard Carnival Firenze, where would it go? It's such a waste to have it hiding somewhere, when guests could be appreciating David's beauty every single day! You are always amazing at circling back around. I love that you keep us all in the loop. I'm envisioning David being dressed up for the holidays already. Maybe someone will toss a Santa hat on his head to add some seasonal flair come December. 

The Firenza is officially in dry dock in Spain. The artical I read mentioned some of the food changes they will be doing and changing the funnel and paint to CCL  but didn't mention anything about the David Statue. I'm still hopeful that they will put it on and announce it later or not say anything and just do it. 

Previously I watched a video of the CCL president which she was standing in an area of the Firenza and talking about how ccl acquired the firenza and hinted how a familiar face and item would be placed right behind where she was standing. I can't remember exact wordi g but you certainly could connect the dots.

• Like 1

@euroguy I guess CCL doesn't need to notify guests of any addition, including the David statue. Thanks for sharing the article!  It sounds like there is a great chance it will make its way back on this ship. Maybe the cruise line is being ambiguous just for the fun and thrill of it all. It's fun to surprise guests with exciting new things! Do you think some guests will have negative things to say if it does appear onboard Carnival Firenze? I can almost assume some fiery feedback from certain guests. It's an Italian style ship! David fits the theme perfectly. 

Edited by 3Sisters

• 2 weeks later...

@3Sisters of course someone will complain can not make everyone 100% happy, such as life and i think CCL realizes this as well, but i really do think its 100% fitting to have the david statue on the firenze and i so look forward to seei g it again as it was on my 2nd cruise, which was on the Pride (many years ago) that I saw it and thought to myself that it was spectacular to have that on a ship. Honestly it was a positive impression for me as it wasn't something I would have thought to see on a cruise ship and really set the stage.

• Like 1

@euroguy That's just the truth! You can't please everyone. You never really can. I hate to see it just sit around. It's a beautiful piece of art, a statement piece for sure. Permanently placing David on Carnival Firenze will be a bold move but I think majority of guests will absolutely love it. I love that you have positive memories of it on board and feel so fondly about it. I think you are going to get to see him in all of his glory again pretty soon! My fingers are crossed anyways. I forget where it was placed on Carnival Pride back in the day. Was it in the main atrium? 

@euroguy  The statue originally was the focal point in the steak house on the Pride — called David's Steak House.  When they rethemed it to conform to CCL's Fahrenheit 555 Steak House it was removed as it no longer fit the theme.  I'm really hoping it does re-appear on the Firenze as that would be perfect considering the original of this statute is in Florence aka Firenze, Italy.

• Like 1

ITS OFFICAL!!! The David Statue will be on the Firenze.  Below is a small snippet regarding the Firenze in dry dock

While few details have yet been revealed about what Carnival Firenze will offer, one iconic element is known – the replica of the famous Michelangelo David sculpture is being installed on the ship. The art piece was formerly on Carnival Pride, but was removed when that ship was renovated in May 2023.

Carnival Firenze is scheduled to welcome her first guests on April 25, 2024, an earlier-than-originally-planned inaugural sailing. The ship will be homeported from Long Beach, California, offering 3-7 night Baja and Mexican Riviera itineraries

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

@euroguy Maybe you need to share a selfie of your time together! I didn't realize you saw David on your first-ever cruise experience. Times surely does fly by. Now you are the cruising king, traveling the seas whenever you get a chance. When I was younger, I cruised on a Costa ship and it was my most memorable cruise as a child. I vividly remember the decorations and the food. It was unlike any other cruise line I had cruised with. I think Carnival Firenze is going to mimic those unforgettable qualities. As you likely know, this ship was once a Costa ship!

image.thumb.png.4dbfa777242425e7955336d9122ac821.png

@3Sisters yep seeing again the David statue will be going down memory lane from a time gone by. I do look forward to seeing once more and perhaps in a even more appropriate ship. 

Everything I hear about the Italian fun ships is that they are without question a different experience and more upscale as well as much different from the typical CCL ships. I am excited to be on it 1st week of September.

Wow!!! Now I'm the "cruise king" huh 😂 Not so sure about that but i definitely take my fair share of cruises. I've already booked Feb. 2025 and looking at few more in the year.

Do plan to travel on one of the Italian fun ship?

• Like 1

@euroguy I think David may have found his permanent home onboard Carnival Firenze. It clearly wasn't on the right ship before it wasn't appreciated enough. I think Fun Italian-Style ships have to have a more intimate and luxury feel to that of a typical Carnival ship because of their previous Costa design. I recall the lighting being lovely and moody and the decor was much classier than that of the more whimsical look of most CCL ships. You do cruise a lot, but you are a very strategic and thoughtful cruiser. You don't just hop onboard you itinerary and wing it; you make memorable experiences out of every itinerary you cruise on. You booked February 2025! That's awesome! I would love to cruise on an Italian Fun ship instead of a regular CCL ship because I believe I would enjoy it more. I can only imagine the elegance onboard. 

@3Sisters yeah I suppose I do cruise a bit and been on 13 different ships some of which im not even sure iare around anymore...wow thats dating me ....hush !!! Lol. Ok maybe I'm becoming the "cruise king" 🤣

You certainly have been following my cruises and explorations. I am strategic and plan to optimize my experiences, the last thing I want is "oh snap i wish I would have seen or done that"... then be disappointed. So lots of research and planning, but the key is figure out what really is important and to keep a balance so you actually enjoy your time and don't feel rushed and stressed.

Yep already booked a cruise for Feb 2025 (horizon) already set for another this year (firenze) in few months, looking to see what other cruises I will book for the remainder of 2025. But kinda holding off to see what other free cruise offers I will get besides the balcony, hoping for free suite...yah yah yah wish in one hand and ##% in the other and see what comes 1st lolol 

You wouldnt believe how many free balcony  cruises I can go on right now... it's crazy so I'm being selective with my choices and time. 

What's your next cruise?  Didn't you just finish one?

• Like 1

@euroguy At this rate there is no going back. You are likely going to keep cruising on for years to come! I feel that way about cruising. There is no going back for me. If anything, I will just continue to expand my horizons when it comes to cruising from lines to destinations. 

I agree about that. If you make it all the way to this exciting vacation spot and realize in hindsight you should have explored something you missed, it you be very upsetting. You have to make the most of those cruise stops! One thing I don't like feeling is rushed, particularly when it comes to getting back to the ship on time. 

If I had the opportunity at a free suite I would hold off too! I actually have never cruised in a suite before. At least you have one booked for 2025. Carnival Horizon will be a great time. Will that be your first time on that ship?

I did cruise on earlier this year and it was great! I was unable to book a 2025 cruise onboard, although I wanted to. None of the dates worked for me. I anticipate a very busy 2025, so I may just have to do a last minute cruise and fit it in when I can next year. It's not ideal, but with the busy schedule ahead, I can't commit to a date at this time.