Solo Traveler - Mardi Gras Feb 24, 2024

@euroguy You know I wish I was! A few users have posted about their upcoming solo CCL itineraries for 2024, but I have yet to see any cruising on the same date and ship. I know @Chris Yates will be cruising on a CCL ship in April as a solo cruiser. Maybe one day you guys can connect on another cruise. You both seem like avid CCL cruisers. A meetup cocktail would be so much fun. Hopefully, you find a great group on board to vacation with during your cruise!

@Cruising Caribbean I really should have title it for anyone not just solos. I think it would be a hoot to meet some of the board members, have a cocktail and couple laughs. I always seem to attract and connect with different groups and people/strangers during my cruises then keep in touch with them afterwards. It must be my charming smile 😃 🤣 or maybe it my cologne 🤔 actually i have a pretty outgoing personality love to joke and laugh which makes it easier to travel solo and fits perfectly on a cruise ship....at least I think so.

• Like 1

@euroguy Yes! The invitation is for anyone who wants to hang out. I love that. I'm surprised you haven't come across the board members already! You are a VIP cruiser. I love keeping in contact with cruise friends after the cruise. As a child, my family always did that and we would meet up in random parts of the world for hangs. I have many friends from travel I keep in contact with via social media. It's a treat to come across wonderful individuals while traveling. You know how to keep a conversation going! It's likely all of the above. You may think it's crazy, but I have yet to take a solo cruise! I always end up cruising with others, but it would be so cool to cruise on my own terms and do whatever I want all day. That hasn't been an option for me for quite some time! 

@Cruising Caribbean I agree its great meeting new people and finding out how small our world really is when we bump into them or even planning future trips with them. You should do a solo it's really nice being able to be the captain of the ship 🤣 and do as you please, when you please. I'm sure meet some fun people on Mardi Gras in Feb... FYI I will be on Firenze Sept 7 out of Long Beach just incase you decide to head this way 😉 

• Like 1

@euroguy Our world really is smaller than we think. I have been on cruise ships and seen the same crew members from other ships and even seen friends from highschool on a couple of RCL itineraries. That was actually really bizarre because I was engaged with my partner, and they were all still in their college party stage. I guess I got over that scene faster than most. I love the idea of being the captain of my own ship! I haven't cruised out of Long Beach since I was a child. I saw the area has experienced lots of flooding lately. Have you seen that news? 

@Cruising Caribbean things a Long Beach port have greatly changed even over the last few years. I think for the better.  

Don't believe everything you see on the news. Yes we had a lot of rain but major flooding has not really been an issue. Sure isolated issues but nothing major. Love how the media finds the worst area and present it as the whole area or state 🙄 

The one thing I think is poorly designed about long beach port is loyalty cruisers gold and lower they stand outside and in lines according to there boarding times with no shade or water and it can get pretty hot or raining depending on time of year. As a platinum or Diamond regardless of your boarding time you get to walk right into the building verify your info then go to a lounge and relax took about 5 minutes for me. 

Seattle was similar as I saw ppl standing in line out side to get in but Platinum and Diamond card holders got right in and process was seamless and took me all of 10 minutes to get through the process and seated. They didn't have a vip lounge but had a roped off area for us to sit and wait and got to board 1st. 

I'm curious as to how it will work for me on my upcoming cruise in Feb for Orlando.  Also curious how Miami port handles platinum and diamond guests vs lower levels.

• Thanks 1

@euroguy I'm glad I clarified it with a local then! It did come off as a pretty bad issue. Shade would be a really nice addition! Many cruise ports don't offer enough shade and I don't understand it. I'm laughing so hard thinking about my daughter last night. She told me she was hot in the car but didn't want to take off her coat because "she has to practice waiting outside to get on the cruise ship and see how hot she can't get." It's the price you pay for getting on a Caribbean cruise. The fire alarm went off in the middle of our embarkation process last time and we had to wait 2 hours in the unshaded street until the building was cleared. It was brutally hot; like an oven. I think that's what she was practicing for!

I love Port Canaveral and you will too. Everything there is a breeze and it's never too busy. Mostly an older, not first-timer crew onboard. I think you will love all of the newness of the facilities and the whole design. It's an optimal size!

• 4 weeks later...

@euroguy Kids really do just say the darndest things. Most of the time, they drive me crazy, but then they say something hilarious and I forget all about their behavior beforehand. One thing I wouldn't do it turn my home temp to 100! Can you imagine that? I might as well just hop in my oven! To be so fair to her, the weather outside can seriously sear you in the sun without shade. It can be pretty torturous. I should be smarter and bring along those water misting fans. That could be the highlight to waiting outside to get onboard your cruise. The little fidget toys they had distracted them for like 5 minutes before they were visibly dripping in sweat!

Bring umbrellas for each person, I know just one more thing to think k about but would make it so much better and maybe a small soft sided cooler that you can freeze before hand and fill with frozen goodies to munch on, like frozen fruit. That way its healthy tasty hydrating and cold

Just an idea....

• Thanks 1

@euroguy You have all the pro tips! I think you should write a traveling with kids blog. You would win daddy blog of the year award. Frozen fruit is so easy to bring too and entertaining! I love the idea of a packable umbrella as well. Those could double as shade/rain repellant devices. You never know when rain will strike! Both of these things are just genius. To be honest, I basically never bring food items onboard. I always feel hesitant to do it and I don't know why. I know it's allowed! I just forget about it. Cold snacks will be brought for our next cruise for sure. Thanks for the awesome tips! 

@Cruising Caribbean 😆... it's seems you and few others think I should do a blog... hmmm not really sure how to set that up nor if i would have enough info... so maybe this board will be a good stage 

Regarding the soft side cooler i know ive seen them at walmart and probably on amazon.  Thwy are just right size to carry a six pack of sodas so not to large also they have a internal gel inside of the sides so you can fold it up and put in the freezer then it will be frozen and keep things cold longer.

It would be great for your kids while waiting outside in line. 

Well tomorrow puts me one week out and off i go to Mardi Gras

P.S I just looked and amazon has a variety of choices for less than $20

Hope my suggestions make the kiddos happy

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

@euroguy Blogs aren't too difficult to create but they are a time commitment for sure! You have to dedicate time to write and gathers your thoughts together in an easy-to-read way. Conversing on the boards is more lighthearted and convenient for sure. I have yet to get a cooler that would freeze itself! I always have to add the heavy icepacks which are bulky and take up a lot of space in the cooler. The benefit to those over ice is that they don't melt or leak. Once again, thanks for your tips and tricks. I think that cooler is worth it for less than $20. That's a very reasonable price!