Flooding on Serenade of the Seas

Just days into the ship's ultimate world cruise, it's flooding! I saw some photographs that leaked the flooding onboard Serenade of the Seas and it's not looking good. I would be pretty uneasy if I was on this ship for another eight months. I hope RCL gets to the bottom of these flooding issues so it can continue on this ultimate journey without having to change or cancel the entire sailing. The price of this cruise was not cheap! It's a once-in-a-lifetime experience for sure. 

image.thumb.png.0a00ab802ba3210fbd1e6a3186134a59.png

Wow, this is some serious flooding. Cruise ships shouldn't flood like this. Apparently, all of this water damage was due to bad weather, but what if the weather is bad again? Even the ship's forward elevators were closed due to the water damage. If I was a guest onboard, I would be very apprehensive about continuing the voyage on this ship. It's going to keep happening unless the issue is properly addressed. I wonder if there are some adjustments that could be made to repair the issues for the time being. This itinerary still has many days to do. 

Any ship with a mid deck height promenade deck will suffer this issue in heavy seas and high winds. Water will get on the deck and enter through the sliding and other types of passenger access doors, especially if the ship is suffering side on winds causing a few degrees of list.

P and Os Aurora took a real battering on her recent Norway/Arctic Circle cruise with multiple water ingress to both public areas and balcony cabins, she's still sailing though!

• Like 1

@FJB They certainly are not, but seeing images like this is worrisome. I guess it's comforting to know that other cruise ships experience things like this and continue to safely host guests without any major issues. However, I don't think that the carpeted areas onboard are meant to become submerged in water. 

@Dougal I didn't realize that the mid-deck height promenade decks were more susceptible to this type of water damage, but it makes sense. I always figured newer ships were designed with better waterproofing seals in the doors to prevent the water from seeping into the interior of the ship. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Dougal That isn't the only thing guests are complaining about on Serenade of the Sea's world cruise. Influencer guests onboard are making a fuss about lots of other things besides the flooding issues. I always wanted to try a world cruise but now I'm second-guessing it. It seems if you want to actually enjoy a RCL world cruise you must be high up in the Crown & Anchor Society to get the best treatment. I always thought RCL was really good about treating guests pretty equally. I'm surprised to find guests onboard this itinerary are experiencing subpar service due to their loyalty status. It makes me wonder if these accusations are truly accurate. They sound a little dramatized if you ask me. 

5 hours ago, 3Sisters said:

@Dougal. Influencer guests onboard

It makes me wonder if these accusations are truly accurate. They sound a little dramatized if you ask me. 

I think you answered your own question.  It’s all about the clicks.  

@FJB I guess you are right. I think you just reassured what I was feeling to be true. It's a bummer guests have to portray cruises in such a negative way. After reading that, new cruisers likely assume inferior treatment without having a loyalty status with the line. RCL is known to be a great cruise line, and most guests I have cruised with feel the line treats everyone equally and fairly. Ultra-negative comments like that are so unnecessary. I don't even think that the guest posted anything positive about the itinerary, which isn't a good sign. 

If you watch the latest footage for this cruise drama, you will likely catch on to the fact that it's very theatrical. I'm usually very open-minded to varying opinions but this one seems to have gone too far. It's really all about the views @FJB

https://www.cruisehive.com/why-the-ultimate-world-cruise-is-getting-out-of-hand-on-tiktok/121391

It goes to show how easy it is to get negative publicity out there. Let's just hope the other guests onboard are feeling this same way. A 9-month world cruise is supposed to be really amazing, not the way it's currently being depicted online!