Melting Chocolate Cake is Shrinking?

I can't believe my eyes! CCL's melting chocolate cake isn't the same anymore. This fan favorite has been reported to be smaller in size, being served in a smaller ramekin. A few guests have reported these changes on differing CCL ships. First Celebrity Cruises starts charging for cookies and now this! Beware the next time you cruise with CCL, the melting chocolate cake is shrinking in size. It isn't your imagination! It seems this change will likely be a permanent one. The dessert is almost bite-sized now. At least you can order more than one with no upcharge. You can't order two entrees in the MDR anymore without an extra fee attached. 

image.thumb.png.9b5afe099e7a401fe882aa9718a6bf5f.png

Do you think this change is due to cutbacks or trying to reduce the amount of calories in the dish? This is such a delicious dish, but it does have a hefty calorie count. I have seen the recipe posted online and it is very dense and decadent. I think if the change was due to calories, CCL would stop offering side substitutions like peanut butter cups that really up the calorie count. I have yet to request other side options. I bet it would be pretty delicious with a peppermint flair for the holidays. I'm a sucker for peppermint mochas this time of year. 

I doubt Carnival is concerned about calories unless they fall under the laws of the state of California.  I’m sure this is all about keeping costs in check.  It’s called shrinkflation.  

• Like 1

@3Sisters  Just one point of clarification.  Unless this has recently changed again, you can order 2 entrées in the MDR without an extra charge.  It's the 3rd one that the charge is incurred.  And, as you say, you can still order multiple melting cakes if you want.  I'm thinking this change to the melting cakes is just another iteration of the ongoing attempts to cut down on food waste.  I can't tell you how many times walking out of the MDR I've looked at tables full of half-eaten food, or watched the waiters carry off plates still full of uneaten food.  Just my two-cents.

• Thanks 1

@RoadTravelled you are correct that the last ive heard the 2nd MDR dish is free and 3rd has a $5 charge. 

Regarding the chocolate melting cake size I will the 1st to say that ive been one of those that would not finish it as it is so heavy and rich... and have to watch my girlish figure🤣 just kidding!!! I know shame on me! I welcome the smaller portion as I won't feel so bad about leaving half uneaten. 

I do wish they would return the jumbo shrimp cocktail vs. The miniature shrimp cocktail 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@RoadTravelled Thanks for sharing your insight! I didn't realize that the sound entree dishes in the MDR were still free of charge. I read somewhere that the second entree order apparently came at an upcharge, but I'm not the type to order two entrees. The topic of food waste didn't even cross my mind. That's likely why the size has changed. It does have a high-calorie count, but most guests who order the cake aren't so concerned about that. 

@FJB You make a good point. Since it's such a rich dessert, I see how this smaller size could be beneficial. I agree about the jumbo shrimp cocktail, but at least you can order two of the minis! 

@Sonya Carroll You are right. I'm not sure why that didn't cross my mind! I think it's because I'm not a food-waste type of person. I usually only order what I will finish and typically opt out of dessert. 

@FJB This was my initial thought too! I love the idea of shinkflation. It made me laugh.

• Like 1

@euroguy I'm glad you circled back with me. I will be back out on a mission today to search for it. It has been a busy holiday season for me. I have had three sets of back-to-back guests from December into early January. As soon as everyone left my entire family caught the flu; it's been over a week now. I'm still coughing up a storm. It was a brutal virus! I finally feel alive to go back out in public. Not to mention the temperatures this weekend were wild! It's been in the negatives all weekend. 

@3Sisters that sounds like a hose full. Sorry to hear everyone gor sick but happy you're on the mend. Yeah I'm still smelling and tasting my most favorite pie...hehehehe.  during Christmas mom made my second most favorite which is cherry pie...she makes the old school way so it's a bit tart with a touch of sweetness... omg!!!! I was in heavan 😇

• Like 1

@euroguy Cherry pie is amazing! I'm glad to hear you were able to enjoy one of your favorites. There is nothing like mom's home cooking! There is a cherry pie place near my home and it's to die for. I love how tart and robust the cherry flavors are. It's really hard to beat. I don't like when it's overly sweetened so it sounds like your mom's recipe is one I would really enjoy! I don't find pie served much on my cruises lately. Have you been offered any pie onboard a cruise? I usually go for the chocolate pies if I go to a diner. The chocolate silk ones are usually my go-to. Do you like chocolate pies? That's one flavor that doesn't need to be ala mode.