Cruise Hive Boards

Which Cruise Line Has the Best Ice Cream/Gelato?

3Sisters

Which cruise line has the best ice cream or gelato to date? Please share your personal experience below. I'm going with MSC Cruises because not only the gelato is spectacular but so are the flavor options and the fresh cones! The last time I was on MSC Armonia, unlimited gelato was included for guests. From what I have seen, all of the other fleet members don't offer this perk, so I was truly blessed during that sailing! 

@Woody14 I have heard Celebrity Cruises' ice cream is really delicious, but I have yet to try it! RCL's Ben and Jerry's is great but won't be as prominent onboard the fleet anymore. Call me crazy but I'm a lover of CCL's soft serve. It's almost nostalgic to me. I grew up cruising with the line and watching it melt on the pool deck. That unlimited soft serve just doesn't compare. 

@FJB I'm so curious if Celebrity Cruises makes ice cream onboard each of its fleet members. This is such a perk to me! To top it all off it's free. You may have just sold me on the line. I'm assuming the After Eight flavor is chocolate mint. That's my favorite too! Do they have special flavors each day? My mouth is watering just thinking about this homemade ice cream! I have to get my hands on some.

• 2 months later...

@Victoria Thanks for chiming in here! I have yet to cruise with Oceania cruises and and I haven't tried Humphry Slocombe ice cream or sorbet so this would be a treat. I have heard amazing things about the cruise line. I'm so accustomed to cruising with your basic, average cruise line, I think Oceania cruises would knock my socks off. Have you cruised with the line before and if so what ship would you recommend for a first-timer? 

Also, do you know if Humphry Slocombe ice cream is sold in large retailers in the US? I would love to try it but I'm not in California. 

Another ice cream I've yet to hear of is Humphrey Slocombe. It's strange how we don't get the big ice cream chains over to the UK. The only brand I've heard of is Ben and Jerry's, and that's not really that well heard of much either I don't think. I did try some for the first time not so long ago I must admit.

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ I don't think Humphrey Slocombe is sold at any big box retailers, but after doing some research, I think it's a top quality product. Most of the storefront locations for Humphrey Slocombe are in California, Nevada, and Oregon. I also found other "scoop fronts" in other countries outside of the US. At this point I'm trying to become a wholesaler so I can get my hands on the product, but before I know it may be sold at a place near me. The word about Humphrey Slocombe seems to be spreading like wildfire. Maybe it's the next Haagen Daz!

Now Haagen Daz I have heard of, and I think I may have tried it at some point. However, we tend to use the local companies, I believe the flavours are so much flavoursome than the big names. I find myself disappointed when I try the bigger names and to me tastes so bland in comparison.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I used to love Haagen Daz! There was a storefront in my old hometown and I went back last month to see it had officially closed down. It was such a bummer to see it gone, but it reminds me of Baskin Robins. It used to be so popular and now I barley see any storefronts around. Smaller, mom and pop ice cream shops are much more popular and I see why. They are all made fresh in house, using really wholesome ingredients. Who wants to consume ice cream made last month when they can have some made just earlier that day? The micro-ice cream shops are all the rave now, and I'm down for the crave! 

@3Sisters absolutely correct. It's because times have changed and that has allowed us as society to be more creative, which everyone wants. As you say, why be happy with sub standard mass produced ice cream, when a local companies try out different things and keeps it fresh. I love ice creams, but I love trying different things also, so it's a win win situation.

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ Everything seems to be mass produced nowadays but there are many flaws in this system we have created as a society! All small businesses really struggle to keep up with the mega companies and stay competitive. The cost of goods has gone up and people are looking for better prices to stay afloat in this economy. The housing prices have truly skyrocketed! Local mom and pop shops have to charge a bit more, but the quality is surely better and fresher. It's better to support smaller businesses when possible, but if you are on a tight budget, it can be hard to do. Society is starting to catch on to this dilution of quality for services and goods. I just hope we can get back to a place where we better support smaller businesses. 

There are pros and cons to everything. Big companies are dependable. You've heard of them so you have sense of trust about them rather than a local person. The pricing varies, however a local independent company will take more care and attention than the bigger company, but that could prove to be expensive. I used to prefer local businesses, and would always say to use them to keep the money for them to feed their families rather than the mammoth corporation that doesn't care about you, but over time, especially in the UK, I found when it comes to it, local independent one person companies are soooo unreliable, so untrustworthy, and so ignorant, that now I always use the big well known companies now. If there is a problem, they get back to you, there is someone to speak to, a location to go to, and more importantly, they will show up when the day they will, do the job you've paid them for, and if that costs you slightly more, at least the job you want has been done.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

@LukeJ You make a really good argument. I love shopping small, but it isn't always affordable or consistent. Large, big box retailers are more dependable and reliable. I find myself shopping more at the big, commercialized stores because it's a one stop shop. I don't have the time to shop around or drive to and fro to find the best of the best products. It's convenient to only have to go to a one stop shop. Farmer's markets are fun and can be consistent but the products aren't backed like other stores! If I have a defected product, I can go back to the store and have it replaced without hassle. It's not always the same with small businesses. I try to support both parties, but when it comes to day-to-day purchases, I choose the large retailer. 

I guess it doesn't have a right or wrong answers. It all depends on your view point and maybe what you require at that time. It falls to the same topic as cruise lines. Whether you choose a larger ship or smaller, it depends on your preferences. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ I value what you are saying here. Don't get my wrong; I rely on the large stores for many things. I try to balance my shopping and spending, avoiding Amazon at all costs unlike most of my friends and family. That whole Amazon Prime operation has destroyed much of the in-store shopping experience. Most of my friends have groceries/goods delivered to their home the same day or via 2-day shipping. We as a society are all about instant gratification; we need it now! I can't imagine the expectations of the next generations. 

• Like 1

@3Sisters I'm not a huge fan of Amazon to be honest. I can understand why people use it, very simple, convenient and popular. But my experience, it takes too long, the products aren't all that great and I'm tired of heating the name lol. I'd much rather go to store and buy but then again, they cost more because they want to cover the overheads costs.

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ At least I'm not alone! My husband loves Amazon prime. He has a membership for all of the Amazon things, and I just avoid all interaction with all Amazon products. I'm not going to lie it's so convenient and almost addicting, but I don't support the premise. We even have our photos linked to the unlimited storage, but I don't like that idea either. Eventually, Amazon will charge and up the monthly cost to store your photos there. That means everyone will have to pay whatever Amazon decides to access their personal photos. That's just insane and displays the lots of control that the Amazon can have over people. Most people just don't know how to live life without it! 

• Like 1

Yes it's ab addictive brand I admit that. As soon as you discuss buying something with someone, almost instantly it's a "I'll get it on Prime. No paying for deliveries." That seems to be the main factor with customers, is the free deliveries. It's a shame other companies don't follow suit.

As a small business retail hardware store owner, I tell my customers they will be sorry when Amazon forces us mom & pop stores out of business.  How will you get your plumbing problems fixed the same day when every plumbing repair requires a minimum of three trips to the hardware store.  I despise Amazon - don’t even have an account with them!   

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately the internet has destroyed the retail industry. Our bustling towns now are dwindling, my city especially is only fit for students, and shops are disappearing fast, mainly because people can buy things cheaper and easier online rather than going to the shops themselves. It is sad when we think of it, and I'm guilty of buying online. The sheer task of getting to the city is terrible where we are, to find somewhere to park is a joke, and when you do find somewhere, the prices are ridiculous. On the other hand, they cut the bus service, so would need to wait an hour for one to show up which is usually full, so would need to wait again for a free bus, that will go every single location before you get there, it's easier to jump in the car. So all on all, staying at home and purchasing online is easier I find .

• Thanks 1

@FJB I'm so glad you shared your perspective! The little guys are being pushed to the side and even those necessary occupations like plumbing/electric/automotive/air conditioning aren't accessible as they once were. I don't know how to do any of those occupations, but if my AC breaks, I don't want to wait 72 hours for someone to come out and fix it because that's how long it will take until a technician is available. Our society pushes all of these "upper level" careers, but no one knows how to do anything for themselves anymore. I'm one of those people that actually can't change their oil or a tire, and that's honestly a shame. We should encourage and support all careers, including smaller mom and pop retailers because without them it wouldn't be the same! These are essential occupations.

• Like 1