Cruise Hive Boards

Front, Back, or Mid-Ship?

3Sisters

What is the best stateroom location? Do you prefer the front, back, or middle of the ship? I'm also curious if it's better to be on the upper or lower decks. I booked a family stateroom on the aft of the ship and it seemed very rocky. I got a bit seasick, and that's generally very unlike me. I didn't realize the location of your stateroom makes a difference in your overall cruise experience. This seasickness could have been due to rocky seas, but when I got out of the stateroom I felt just fine. Maybe I felt this way because of its proximity to the engines. You could feel them working, particularly rumbling on sea days. All feedback is appreciated! 

Edited by 3Sisters

It depends on the type of stateroom you are looking for! The aft of the ship can have some incredible views. I typically opt for mid-ship. It makes the most sense to me and haven't had an issue with it. I was under the impression that the lower decks feel more movement. The upper decks are usually more popular as they are typically more centrally located to the fun amenities like pools and buffets. 

@LukeJ I was under the same impression it's kind of the safe zone. It makes sense engineering-wise. The middle of the ship is likely rocking less than the ends. I'm picturing a toy boat in the ocean, for reference. The center is like the stabilizer. Since I'm not an engineer I don't know all of the correct terminology, I think mid-ship upper decks would likely experience the least amount of movement. Also, it's nice to stay close to the stairwells and elevators but not too close. If you are too close to the stairs you will hear a lot of the passerby noises that can keep you up at night. 

This may be controversial but I like back/aft or front better than mid-ship, given the choice of anything I would take aft facing.     Mid-ship is 'preferred' in the minds of cruise lines so they charge more for those areas.   But it is really all preference based on what some one wants.

@LukeJ I'm pretty sure it all depends on the size of the ship too. I forgot to factor that in. If the cruise ship is large I would imagine less feeling of movement, but on a smaller ship, I believe you feel everything more. I haven't cruised onboard a particularly small cruise ship yet so I don't have anything to compare to. Stay away from the aft is probably a good choice, especially if you are in an interior cabin. The front of the ship could be amazing if you had a balcony or suite option. Then you would be able to get out and not feel so claustrophobic when there are rocky seas. 

I just like being on the ship.  To me, it doesn't matter where.  If it's a special occasion, we'll get a balcony & did an aft balcony a couple of times.

As far as price, the higher you go, the more expensive it gets.  On one deck, the middle is usually more than the ends.

Lastly, I try to pick a cabin that is surrounded on all sides by other cabins.  You are less likely to have some odd noises from something like a janitor's closet early in the morning or a dance floor late at night.

• Thanks 1

@SpaceCowboy9 That's the way to be! I love that you are open-minded. I prefer to get easily accessible staterooms, but I don't want to be near the stairwell. I have been close to the stairwell many times and the late night noises keep me up at night. I guess I'm a light sleeper. I really appreciate your tip about booking a stateroom that is surrounded on all sides. It's actually something I never considered until you just pointed it out. The ship does it all and sounds travel pretty easily. It's better to find yourself in a room that is noise-buffered. It makes perfect sense to me! That's such good insight!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The rear of the ship is the worst for movement- you get the up/down and side-to-side movement.  The front of the ship is not as bad - mainly just the up and down movement as the ship breaks thru the waves.  Lower decks in the middle of the ship have the least movement.  

Unlike the rest of you, we book near the elevators midship because we are just steps away from the transporter to the fun!  Motion doesn’t usually bother us.   We don’t notice the noise, and maybe that’s because we sail mostly celebrity, which has fewer kids and a more mature audience that doesn’t make a lot of noise.  The ultimate deck is exactly midway between the lower entertainment decks and the upper pool/buffet decks.  I can easily do 3 flights of stairs up to the buffet or 3 flights of stairs down to the theater.  From this cabin location, I can usually be anywhere on the ship in less than 3 minutes taking the stairs!  Helps me keep my girly or speedo figure.  

• Like 1

@FJB Thanks for this info! I always thought it was the upper decks that had the least movement. I was so wrong! I'm glad I asked this question. I'm so surprised you barely get the noise while sleeping by the elevators. I do value being close to the elevators though. I have been far away from them, which can be a very annoyingly long haul, especially if I plan to bring food or drinks back to my stateroom. I guess that's why people opt for room service.

That's the best tip I have received!  Three flights away from all the food and fun is so smart. Before I call the cruise line to book I need to do a better job of locating that deck ahead of time. I usually just call the cruise line and ask them to book me a "good one."

• Like 1