Carnival Jubilee Pioneers 5G Connectivity at Sea

The latest cruise ship to join the CCL fleet in December, Jubilee, will be the first in North America to offer guests the luxury of 5G mobile phone service. This industry-first initiative is a result of a collaboration with Wireless Maritime Service (WMS), a leading cellular provider.

The cruise line has completed upgrades across its 25-ship fleet, installing the infrastructure needed for SpaceX’s Starlink Satellite service for internet access.  So, this is definitely a step up in providing access to the outside world while onboard.

Having said that though, we generally try to avoid the internet while onboard.  After all, we are on vacation.  But, typically we will buy a one-day access about in the middle of the cruise just to keep the emails from backing up too much.  And, our recent cruise on the Venezia we felt the internet speed and reliability were excellent.  Just like being at home really.

While on land, we have started buying e-Sim cards for our phones from 3rd party companies that give you access to local foreign country providers for data.  They are really cheap, easy to self-install, work great, and do come in really handy when trying to using Google maps for example to navigate an unfamiliar city.  And, with VOIP apps you can even use that data to make calls (assuming the other party has the same app).  And, now you'll be able to call from the ship on 5G?

I don't know.  At some point, is all that technology needed to enjoy your cruise?  I guess if you are working it is great.  But, I'm kind of conflicted about it.  What do others do to keep in touch to the outside world?  Do you buy the full internet package for the whole cruise?  Or, do you disconnect from all of that?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RoadTravelled said:

I don't know.  At some point, is all that technology needed to enjoy your cruise?  I guess if you are working it is great.  But, I'm kind of conflicted about it.  What do others do to keep in touch to the outside world?  Do you buy the full internet package for the whole cruise?  Or, do you disconnect from all of that?

We get about 90 mins of free internet thru our cruise loyalty program. That is enuff to put out any fires that may be occurring at home.  Otherwise, our connected devices stay in the safe.  

• Like 1

I'm really sad that everything seems to be geared to keeping people's faces in there phones. When I go on vacation it to disconnect from life's stresses, hit the rest button and connect with people in a friendly environment which is rewarding g in so many different ways. Now days on the ship I see people noses barried in the phones, what's the point!? 

When I'm on ship I only use the carnival app for schedule of events and reminders of such and leave it in airplane mode. 

I do see @RoadTravelled point of when on shore to use for directions and information. I can also see the need if on shore and have an emergency. Not sure if at&t will work in domican Republic or Puerto Rico guess I should find out hmmmm

• Like 1

@euroguy I'm glad you are on team disconnect. It's pointless to cruise if you plan to do the same thing you always do at home, burying your mind in your phone. You can get so hooked on it and its endless browsing options. It's mind-numbing and draining! Everyone needs a break from their phones and computers. It's just a totally different cruise experience! Being without technology truly amplifies your cruise experience. When you have the wi-fi package, you end up using it for more than what's necessary. You might as well get your money's worth right? It's all such a distraction from the present! 

Edited by 3Sisters