Cruise Hive Boards

Shuttle or Park at the Port

Taxi or park at the port  

1. 1. Do you prefer to taxi to the port or park at the port?

• Park at the Port
    • Pay for a Taxi or Shuttle

Do you prefer to take a taxi/shuttle to the port or park at the port for the duration of your cruise?

I have been conflicted about which option to choose since the cost will be about the same. I will be renting a car but have the option to leave the rental car at a friend's home about thirty minutes out from the port. The biggest conflict I'm facing is shuffling one car seat and two boosters along if we choose to take a taxi to and from the port. It seems like such a waste to pay for my rental car to sit at the port (or my friend's house) for a week, but it's so much easier and cheaper than renting a new car after the cruise disembarks. 

I wish our friends could shuttle us to and from the port, but we won't all fit in one car!

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas

If you are traveling with car seats, it's worth it to park the car at the port. I have never ventured to take my car seats onboard a cruise! I also have no idea if there is a holding area for them, but I would imagine you have to bring them into your stateroom. Has anyone brought car seats onboard a cruise ship before? If so, where do you store them? 

We usually fly into port cities so this hasn’t been an issue for us.  For the couple of cruises we have taken that are close enough to home to drive to - one was a large group cruise so we hired a bus to take us and pick us up.  For the other, we drove and parked our car at the port.  

concerning car seats - I guess I’m a bad daddy!  My daughter has been cruising since she was about 20 months old and I don’t ever remember taking a car seat with us.  Taki rides are usually short and busses are one of the safest modes of transportation so no car seats/seat belts necessary.  Besides, I’ve never been a seat belt user and my daughter has followed in my footsteps. I survived riding in the back of a pickup truck and on the fender of a tractor during my youth so it’s all good.  

• Like 1

@FJB I wish I could say the same about the car seats, but I feel guilty leaving them behind while traveling anywhere in the U.S. by car. I wouldn't want to chance anything happening while in the car, although driving in the ports of call can be daunting. I try to book bus rides/excursions since I don't intend to bring the car seats along, storing them in my stateroom. I'm not sure you don't want to hear this, but you should wear your seatbelt. I have heard so many horror stories, and after losing a cousin to not using his seatbelt, I fear for your safety! Clearly, you have been safe thus far, but to me, it's not worth the risk.

• Like 1