Holiday at Sea

Holland America Line has some interesting holiday itinerary options too. I have been browsing some of the line's selections; although, I'm not quite sure if the holiday decor could compete with CCL. Carnival Cruise Line goes all out for guests cruising over the holidays. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/holland-america-line-offering-special-holiday-getaways/108344

@FJB Why is Christmas cruising not your thing? As someone who hasn't done it before, I'm curious as to why you didn't enjoy it. I could assume a cruise experience may not feel as festive. I'm used to lounging in my pajamas in the morning and hosting a big brunch. I love the idea of brunch being served to me. That sounds like a treat. 

If I took a Christmas cruise, I would have to bring my elf pajamas along for the ride! 

Carnival has a pretty epic holiday lineup. I was just reviewing an article about it this morning! 

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-line-announces-holiday-activities-onboard/115158

I love how festive the line is. It really entices guests to consider cruising over the holidays! If I were cruising over Christmas, I would most definitely participate in the ugly sweater contest. 

image.thumb.png.df60aeddb6992f9ffa3f5ee4aaf51cd4.png

21 hours ago, 3Sisters said:

@FJB Why is Christmas cruising not your thing? As someone who hasn't done it before, I'm curious as to why you didn't enjoy it. I could assume a cruise experience may not feel as festive. I'm used to lounging in my pajamas in the morning and hosting a big brunch. I love the idea of brunch being served to me. That sounds like a treat. 

If I took a Christmas cruise, I would have to bring my elf pajamas along for the ride! 

Christmas is about traditions and family - midnight mass, waking up on Christmas morning and watching the kids open gifts, heading to grandmas house in the afternoon for the big dinner.  None of this can be experienced on a Christmas cruise.  

• Thanks 1

@FJB I love reading about your Christmas traditions. Reading these makes me miss living close to my family. Having moved away, those "heading to grandma's house" traditions aren't the same for me anymore. A Christmas cruise sounds like a fun experience, but I'm not sure it would be an every-year option. I would like to cruise at least once over Christmas, just like I want to do a Christmas in NYC with my children one year. I appreciate the family-focused traditions. In fact, I will be cutting down my Christmas tree with a permit with my family in a couple of weeks! I can't wait. If I cruised over Christmas, I wouldn't waste my time cutting down a tree that year.

@FJB @Kendall James-Vargas I think Christmas is what you make it no matter the location. You can always take a little pre decorated and lit tree that is 1-2ft tall to put in your room and decorate the room and give smaller presents. Sure it's not 100% traditional but isn't it about spending time with family and celebrate the birth of Jesus. No I'm not trying to be overly religious but point is spending time with our loved one is wonderful regardless of location. Yes exceptions do exist like relatives that are getting older and spending time with them is important.  

Another thing to keep in mind a lot of people are single/alone and may not have any extended family to spend time with, which im getting close to that stage and a Christmas cruise can bring great joy to them to be around others v. Being home alone.  Something to think about

• Thanks 1

@euroguy I love the idea of a pre-lit tree in your stateroom for the holidays! Everyone who cruises over Christmas should do the same. That doesn't sound overly religious. That's the history of the holiday! It's important to make your holidays feel special, and for many that can be done by celebrating what is most valuable to you! 

That's a great point. Those who don't have family or friends to spend the holidays with can find a great sense of connection on holiday. Cruise ships are such a great way to connect and explore with others. Not to mention, those who are cruising for the holidays are commonly likeminded individuals. I love the diversity of guests onboard cruises too. It can be easy to make good friends and strike up excellent conversations with those onboard.