Cruise Hive Boards

Oceana never again….

Oceana Insignia 7 day Bermuda cruise Aug. 30, 2023

we we’re so looking forward to this cruise.

Although my husband and I have cruised so many times  over (big and small lovely ships) this was our first with Oceana. 

I am going to make this short. The trip all in all was a huge disappointment.

1) Our paid transfers from NYC airport was mismanaged. We had to keep chasing the Oceana representative, who was playing hide and seek on us. After over 2 hours of waiting we were finally on our way to pier.

2) This was a cruise to nowhere. We were never able to see Bermuda. Shortly after we departed NY the ship started to rock and roll. As the story goes, we stayed in our stateroom in bed with dramamines and ginger ale. The ship took shelter in place. After the 5th day, I think it was, we sailed back to New York arriving in NY on the 7th day to complete the cruise. This was a cruise to nowhere. No credits, no apologies. 

3) NO WHEEL CHAIR ASSISTANCE ON DISEMBARKATION.  The day before disembarkation, I called front desk to make arrangements for wheel chair assistance for my husband. I was told, they do not have wheel chair assistance on disembarkation. We were told we can find wheel chair assistance once we cross the bridge, at port. It was painful watching my husband and others who needed help crossing that long bridge. 

Insignia, physically, is a well maintained old lady graceful and elegant. Our steward and most of the crew we encountered were efficient and very thoughtful of us especially on those rocky days. Their food though on the other hand was hit and miss. In my books, I can honestly say, they are not what they advertise themselves to be. Of the many cruises we’ve had on different cruise lines, I find them at the bottom of my list.

Those who read this, I want you to know, this is the very first complain I’ve ever had to do on any cruise ship.  To those who needs wheel chair assistance, and there’s many of us, please do beware and be forewarned. 

BE WELL EVERYONE AND KEEP CRUISING…..

• Like 1

@May Murphy Thanks for sharing your cruise review! I wish it weren't such a negative experience for you. It must have been frustrating not to get off the ship, skipping Bermuda. I can't imagine there not being wheelchair assistance! That is such a shame. Most cruise lines will offer a credit when ports have to be skipped for whatever reason. I have yet to cruise with Oceania Cruises, and it seems like the cruise line is expanding pretty quickly. This review doesn't encourage me to give the line a try. 

Allura from Oceania Cruises sounds quite wonderful! https://www.cruisehive.com/oceania-cruises-reveals-exciting-maiden-voyages-for-new-ship/110189

Hopefully, the cruise line will begin to do better for its guests! 

image.thumb.png.3a66382471d7d95f5acbe45e4f8c25dd.png

• 2 months later...
On 10/28/2023 at 10:27 AM, May Murphy said:

Oceana Insignia 7 day Bermuda cruise Aug. 30, 2023

we we’re so looking forward to this cruise.

Although my husband and I have cruised so many times  over (big and small lovely ships) this was our first with Oceana. 

I am going to make this short. The trip all in all was a huge disappointment.

1) Our paid transfers from NYC airport was mismanaged. We had to keep chasing the Oceana representative, who was playing hide and seek on us. After over 2 hours of waiting we were finally on our way to pier.

2) This was a cruise to nowhere. We were never able to see Bermuda. Shortly after we departed NY the ship started to rock and roll. As the story goes, we stayed in our stateroom in bed with dramamines and ginger ale. The ship took shelter in place. After the 5th day, I think it was, we sailed back to New York arriving in NY on the 7th day to complete the cruise. This was a cruise to nowhere. No credits, no apologies. 

3) NO WHEEL CHAIR ASSISTANCE ON DISEMBARKATION.  The day before disembarkation, I called front desk to make arrangements for wheel chair assistance for my husband. I was told, they do not have wheel chair assistance on disembarkation. We were told we can find wheel chair assistance once we cross the bridge, at port. It was painful watching my husband and others who needed help crossing that long bridge. 

Insignia, physically, is a well maintained old lady graceful and elegant. Our steward and most of the crew we encountered were efficient and very thoughtful of us especially on those rocky days. Their food though on the other hand was hit and miss. In my books, I can honestly say, they are not what they advertise themselves to be. Of the many cruises we’ve had on different cruise lines, I find them at the bottom of my list.

Those who read this, I want you to know, this is the very first complain I’ve ever had to do on any cruise ship.  To those who needs wheel chair assistance, and there’s many of us, please do beware and be forewarned. 

BE WELL EVERYONE AND KEEP CRUISING…..

Hi all,

We sailed the following week and had a wonderful experience. We were very lucky in that the weather impacted nearly all Bermuda cruises out of New York this summer. We were able to visit the two ports as scheduled.  

We did see guests with wheelchairs and scooters receiving assistance.   We have spent hundreds of days on Oceania ships and have settled on it as our cruise carrier of choice, enjoying the food at almost every meal. Heading to Florida next week to join the Vista for a few weeks.  

Marianne and Ron

• Thanks 1

@RonNYNJCT I'm so glad you shared your perspective! @May Murphy's cruise to nowhere definitely was a bummer, but you can't control the weather. I love that you had a wonderful experience on Oceana Insignia without any issues! Oceania Cruises is known to be an exceptional cruise line with wonderful customer service. I'm glad you noticed guests receiving assistance per usual. It's excellent that you have been able to spend over 100 days on Oceania ships. That's very impressive. What has been your favorite ship to date? Vista is gorgeous! It's a dream cruise line for me, and I would love to know which ship you would recommend to a first-time cruiser of the line. 

image.thumb.png.d1eabf3b568eea326314864f99706ad9.png