A Cruise To Nowhere

Carnival Venezia recently sailed a cruise to nowhere due to Tropical Storm Tammy. How would you feel if you didn't even get off at one port? I would feel bummed, but on the bright side, guests got to enjoy the beautiful ship! It was a 5-day itinerary. That is a long time to be on a ship without the option to disembark.

image.thumb.png.78c09b6c44f54c4e590288b2807b0596.png

4 hours ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

Carnival Venezia recently sailed a cruise to nowhere due to Tropical Storm Tammy. How would you feel if you didn't even get off at one port? I would feel bummed, but on the bright side, guests got to enjoy the beautiful ship! It was a 5-day itinerary. That is a long time to be on a ship without the option to disembark.

image.thumb.png.78c09b6c44f54c4e590288b2807b0596.png

@Kendall James-Vargas  We just recently finished a cruise on the Venezia from NYC to Canada.  She is a beautiful ship and it was a joy to experience the "Italian Style" fun.  She's a big ship but not overly so.  It has a real "upgrade" feel over the counterpart Vista class ships we have sailed.  We especially enjoyed our meal at the specialty restaurant Il Viagio.

Last year we did a transatlantic crossing that was 5 days at sea.  It was quite relaxing and we always found a lot to do and really enjoyed the trip.  I think the difference here is that is not what passengers signed-up for so the expectation was different.  I imagine then that disappointment would kick in.  But, if you just realize it is part of the cruising experience, and make the most of it, it will work.  And, it looks like Carnival is doing the right thing with giving everyone generous OBC and FCC's.  So, there's worse things in life.

• Thanks 1

@RoadTravelled Thanks for this feedback! I love reading your perspective as someone who recently cruised onboard Carnival Venezia. I think you nailed it on the head. Guests onboard this sailing didn't expect to cruise to nowhere. I can see how someone, like yourself, who is prepared to cross the Atlantic Ocean on the beautiful Carnival Venezia, would be able to enjoy 5 days onboard the ship joyously. Thankfully, CCL is really good about generously compensating guests for mishappenings, unlike other cruise lines. 

@Woody14 I completely agree. It's not really my favorite to cruise to nowhere, but I wouldn't be upset to be onboard Carnival Venezia. It's a beautiful ship! 

image.thumb.png.0e9c59204c3ee99e1f2f5789c6c65efc.png

• 1 month later...

@RoadTravelled I cruise to nowhere would be a hard pass for me. That's basically a booze cruise in the making. I wonder if Carnival Venezia could have rerouted to another port of call. If I had to be trapped on a ship, at least this is a pretty great ship with lots to do. What other ports of call would the ship have been able to stop at anyhow? I wonder if Boston or Canada could have been arranged. At least the line compensated guests for the mishap. 

I for one would not sign up for a cruise to nowhere but if weather caused this to happen I would totally understand and make the best of it. Sure I would be disappointed about not visiting the locations planned but could always take another trip at a later day for them.

• Like 1

@euroguy You are super flexible! I love that you seem to make the best out of every situation. I try to keep a positive attitude but it can be hard when the cruise feels completely ruined because you don't even stop at one port of call! I like the way you think about using the reimbursement for another itinerary. That's the perk of the situation. You are well on your way to being able to go on another cruise that will likely stop somewhere! 

• 3 weeks later...

@3Sisters it's so easy for people to focus on the negatives that happen. I have learned that "crying over spilt milk" can't change anything, is a buzz kill, and ultimately you must clean it up. Yes its okay to be disappointed but then it's time to pull up the big boy pants find fun things to do and enjoy the time the best you can, as it's out of one's control.  A person has a two choices be unhappy about what can't be changed or be happy and enjoy the ride. I prefer to take it in stride and be happy and enjoy the ride.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@euroguy I love that analogy! You said that perfectly. Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches and take the good with the bad. It's always a risk you take booking a cruise. If you book a long enough cruise, the chances of you making at least a few of the ports of call are more likely if there are more options. The short cruises have less to choose from. There aren't many options to choose from near Bermuda. You can choose Bermuda or Bermuda! This should be a forwarning to guests cruising to this region. Be forewarned that if you are cruising to Bermuda, there aren't many other options so a cruise to nowhere is a realistic possibility. If you know this ahead of time and have a positive attitude, you can still have a great cruise! You just need to have a  good mindset!