Cruise Hive Boards

Floating Cruise Terminal?

3Sisters

I have a hard time seeing the benefit - maybe I'm not thinking straight.  Why not tender in - seems like you could tender anywhere.  The same with supplies, a ship could bring them to you where ever you were.  How would the island hold up to storm while at sea?  Interesting idea, but a lot of questions.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 8:37 AM, SpaceCowboy9 said:

I have a hard time seeing the benefit - maybe I'm not thinking straight.  Why not tender in - seems like you could tender anywhere.  The same with supplies, a ship could bring them to you where ever you were.  How would the island hold up to storm while at sea?  Interesting idea, but a lot of questions.

@SpaceCowboy9  This is a good question.  As I read it, the intent is to be able to expand dock-side port facilities on a as-needed basis without incurring as much capital expense in infrastructure necessary for permanent piers.  And, given that it's mobile, it could possibly move to another location if needed.

The advantage over tendering is that that way of doing it is very slow to get thousands of people embarked or disembarked in a relatively short time frame.  And, how would they get the thousands more luggage as well to the ship effectively?  Tendering works when you are at a port and can leisurely come and go during the whole port stay.  I just don't think it's very practical otherwise.  Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

@SpaceCowboy9 Those are some valuable points. I do think this design is modern and "cool," but I don't see the practicality of it.

I totally agree with @kefthecruiser; it's hard to believe this floating cruise terminal is cost-effective. It's such an intriguing concept, but it's going to take a lot of funds to complete. 

@RoadTravelled That's good feedback. I'm not a huge fan of tender ports, but to visit niche ports of call, it's well worth the longer-then-usual disembarkation process. I'm not sure if a floating cruise terminal will cut off any time to get on and off the ship. I can't wait to read the reviews of those who experience it. I wonder if guests will actually enjoy it.

• Like 1