Suite v. Balcony ... Thoughts & Your Experience??

over the years I've looked at suites and though hmm how cool would that be but end up booking a Balcony, due to cost and uncertainty that it's actually worth the price of admission.

I've read articles that people say once you have a suite nothing less will do and to try a shorter cruise to try one out.

What do you think?

If you've had a suite what's your experience and would you do it again?

Edited by euroguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• euroguy changed the title to Suite v. Balcony ... Thoughts & Your Experience??

@euroguy I genuinely believe you don't need a suite unless it's a super special occasion, you have the extra money to waste, you never leave your stateroom, or you have a fully packed stateroom. To me, a balcony is good enough. I enjoy space when I travel in groups of 3 or more; otherwise, it's unnecessary to spend extra on a suite. If you want an all-day stay in my stateroom experience, ordering tons of room service, then a suite could be worthwhile. The way that I cruise, I barely do anything more than shower and sleep in the stateroom. I would rather spend that extra money on a spa or specialty dining experience. 

• Like 1

@euroguy We've stayed in a suite 3 different times and each was a different type of suite. Each time it was due to having 4 people..my wife and I and a two girls. 

First was my first Carnival cruise and was on the Freedom. Carnival called us and asked if we wanted to upgrade to the Captains Suite. For a considerable fee of course. We did it and enjoyed the hell out of it. 2 bathrooms, forward facing windows, separate bedroom.  Of course we got a fantastic break on the price otherwise we would not do it. 

Next was an ocean suite,  worth the money for us due to the 2 girls. Had 2 real beds and a more closet space. 

Last was the Havana Suite on Vista. Again, had 2 teenage girls and we wanted the Havana section so really had no choice. Love the Havana Section and have been back since but if you don't need the room a regular Havana Cabana suite gives about the same experience. 

The rest of our cruises have all been balconies, in some cases multiple balconies or an inside across from our balcony. 

@euroguy I'm all for a romantic getaway in a suite! Sometimes booking a suite comes with extra perks like drinks and wifi. It can oftentimes be worth it if you book the right suite with the right package deal. For the most part, suites aren't going to give you any sort of specialty thing in your stateroom that's worthwhile unless it's a whirlpool suite! A private whirlpool could be worth the extra money. 

I saw you are going on Mardi Gras soon! https://www.cruisehive.com/countdown-to-carnivals-mardi-gras-suites-and-loft-19/53767

@KeithG Suites are great for special occasions, especially if you want some privacy! I personally don't book suites because I'm typically traveling with young children. As they get older, booking a suite would probably be a smart move for us unless we do joint staterooms. The last cruise I went on I found an interior suite. It was perfect! It had tons of space for my kids to run around, and I didn't have to worry about the little ones running out towards the balcony. It's all about the stage of life you are in and who you choose to travel with! 

Yeah I think I'm in agreement with you all that a suite would be great for a special occasion...well I wouldn't mind getting a presidential suite...I would do that if they gave to me even if solo 😉 

@Kendall James-Vargas you are so bad!!! 😆 seeing those amazing suites on the Mardi Gras ...sigh i was salivating and thinking oh I could be the life of the party if I was traveling solo.. I might get some new friends 🤔 🙂 🤪 

@euroguy Special occasions call for big celebrations! I'm always willing to spend more if I'm celebrating something. In my mind, splurging on a presidential suite means I'm going to utilize it at least 50% of the day, otherwise, I wouldn't get my money's worth. 

If you have a suite and want to share, you would be the life of the party. When I was younger I went to a "stateroom party" in a suite and it was pretty awesome, but I was easily impressed back then. Nowadays I would rather be hanging in a lounge with live music than crammed in somebody's stateroom.

@Kendall James-Vargas I'm thinking a suite party might be one decision to regret. Ship security, stalkers, um the mess, my steward would hate me. The list goes on.

I might could see if a group friends was traveling that would be cool as enough space for everyone to meet up and hang out fir bit.

I'm guessing you had fun when younger and got to go to the suite party 🥳 

@euroguy I totally agree. I think the suite parties are for the risk-takers. With your loyalty status and the promos you get, risking all of that to be the life of the party certainly shouldn't be worth it. 

If you are hosting a small gathering amongst friends, that could be a different story. I wouldn't trust anyone random in my stateroom. I did have lots of fun in my younger cruising years, but it's all very much a thing of the past. I would rather spend money on a spa day than a day of heavy drinking. I tagged you in another post about the SportSquare onboard Mardi Gras! https://www.cruisehive.com/sportsquare-on-carnivals-mardi-gras-whats-it-like/58313 Would you be interested in utilizing this amenity onboard? 

image.thumb.png.02a9a4d84334584ffd001bd8dbffd3ed.png

We got a cheap upgrade to a suite on a cruise with my mother-in-law.  She was 88 at the time & thought it may be her last cruise so why not.  I think she's been on 5 cruises since and is now 95.  When you have multiple cabins, making one a suite can be a good idea.  It gives you a place meet.  On another cruise with my parents, we would meet for drinks in a regular balcony cabin before dinner - 10 people was cramped.

• Like 1

@SpaceCowboy9Your story had a plot twist! I wasn't expecting your mother-in-law to be 95 and 5 additional cruises passed since. I would imagine after your MIL cruised in a suite, she didn't expect anything less. She lives on, looking forward to her next cruise itinerary! That's such a great thing to look forward to, gathering together as a family for a vacation. 

That's a great idea. A suite can be a nice meeting and hang-out spot! Someone just has to be willing to pay extra for that stateroom. 

@Kendall James-Vargas we think her cruising days are over.  Her last cruise, this past April, was a challenge.  The happiest she was during the whole trip was when we were in the car heading home.  I think she could finally relax.  She was so afraid to fall, even though she was either in bed or a wheelchair 95% of the time.  She has a lot of great cruises to look back on.

• Like 1

@SpaceCowboy9 I'm sure she enjoyed those many memories with her family. It's a bummer that the last one wasn't as comfortable for her, but thankfully cruise ships are so accommodating to guests that need special accommodations. It makes traveling with limited mobility so much easier. You are right; she will look back on those wonderful cruises! 

• Like 1

@Kendall James-Vargas I'm not to sure about the sports Square. I think a lot depends on the cruise region and weather conditions. On my recent Alaska cruise the luminosa had a smaller version which imo was a waste as it was to cold or raining. On previous trip on the Panorama to Mexico it was warm but very windy on some days and found myself pre occupied with other events. 

I also think that on a 7 day cruise when on ship, time is always fleeting and precious. With so many things to do on larger ships you have to pick what is high priority and what is not. Additionally I try to avoid activities on a ship that could cause injury.

@SpaceCowboy9 I wish I had got a suite for my mother on her 1 and only cruise, but did get her a balcony. She was not of great health then but still somewhat active and absolutely loved being on the ship and still talks about it. Her health has deteriorated greatly and cruises are not in her future. She now lives the cruises vicariously through me and my picuters/stories.

• Like 1

@euroguy In terms of the Sports Square, you should totally enjoy it if the weather is right! For a colder Alaskan cruise, I see more value in booking a suite than for a Caribbean itinerary. I agree about avoiding injury while on a ship. There are plenty of other ways to enjoy your time on a ship. Have you ever ice skated on a ship before? It seemed pretty safe and I enjoyed it but if you are new to the rink, it's probably a wise choice to skip it. 

That's such a sweet story of cruising with your mom. It's a shame she can't cruise with you anymore. At least you take some really great footage when you travel for her to experience with you. Based on this story, I see the value in appreciating a suite whenever you have a chance. You just never know when you will have an opportunity like that again!

@3Sisters I have ice skated before without issue but never on a cruise ship. it sounds like it could be a bit problematic if in rough waters and the ship is bouncing around....then again it could be a level up challenge...which im always game for 🤣

as for the suite I'm hoping that with my increasing status along with all the offers CCL is giving me that they will offer me a suite for free. The one exception is when i get a new significant other it would be nice to splurge and surprise them...but that could become a problem of creating expectations...oh dear!!! 🙄

Yes I wish I could take my mom on another cruise, but it would be challenging. I do however buy something on each cruise that is special just for her. Example on my last cruise to Alaska in Sept I bought her some 14k gold whale tail earrings. She loved them!!! Put them on looked in the mirror and made them shake and said "I'm shaking my tail" I busted up laughing 😃 

• Thanks 1

@euroguy Honestly, when I ice skated onboard an RCL ship it didn't feel odd at all. I'm trying to remember if I had a drink or not, but it felt fine to me. The ice shows were by far my favorite. It's been a while since I cruised with RCL, but the evening ice shows were so unique! The level-up challenge made me laugh. 

A suite plus a significant other would be so great! That would be such a romantic surprise. It sounds like you are in the market for someone new; a new partner during Christmas time is always fun. Dating certainly has its pros and cons. It can take much thought and effort at first. As sweet as those memories can be, I certainly prefer married life. Those dating days were fun though.

You are such an awesome son! Gold whale tail earrings sound fantastic. I love the sweet dynamic you have with your mom. Were the whale tail earrings from your recent Alaskan cruise?

• 2 weeks later...

@3Sisters yeah dating now days is for the birds the whole bar scene days have long passed for me and now days seems like its a swipe right or left generation which is not very personal. Then add the fact age is coming into play as well...yeah dating is so fun but who knows what might happen, maybe i will find someone on a ship lolol

• Like 1

@euroguy Finding your soul mate on a ship sounds so romantic! That could honestly be such a fun way to meet a mate. I started dating my spouse prior to the swipe right and left dating era. By the way, I think that's such an offensive way to date. You don't even meet someone, and you are basically choosing them based on their photos. I would much rather do a blind date situation. It's a shame dating has come to that. I find the most personal and convenient way to meet a like-minded mate is at a religious location of your choice or through a community organization that best suits your interests.

@3Sisters with all the cruises I go on and the vast number of people on each one, I just might have an opportunity to accidentally bump into the future special someone. If it's ment to be it will happen.

How did you meet your husband...how long have you been together?

Edited by euroguy
  • Like 1

@euroguy I wouldn't be surprised if that happened sooner than later! People on cruises are typically more relaxed and open to enjoying life in a way they don't typically do on an average day. I met my husband in college, and we have been together ever since. We have been together for 11 years now, and it's been a pretty low-maintenance marriage. We definitely have a great flow and a high level of trust in one another. I think those aspects plus the mutual respect for one another have really been why we have remained in such a hassle-free marriage. Marriage isn't for everyone! 

@3Sisters 11 years .... nice. I'm glad that your marriage is full of bliss. I know so many others are not. You are blessed.  It's been many years since I was married but certainly have dated long term several times. I suppose I'm more cautious now and if red flags exist it becomes a wait and see situation and well guess the answer is in the pudding as currently searching....sorta lol 😆 

One never knows who might walk through the door next so I keep my eyes open. In the mean time I'm enjoying life with me myself and I and who ever else tags along.  Life is to short to sit by and frump on things.

• Like 1

@euroguy I really am blessed. I can't say marriage is easy. It's a constant compromise, but we are blessed to have a great flow and similar goals that work together pretty nicely. You have to be cautious of all red flags! I'm thankful I married a respectful and thoughtful human, but many partners aren't the same. I hope that you find a partner that will treat you the way you treat them. You deserve that. There are many, not kind partners out there, and they can take advantage of loyal people quite easily. You have the right mindset! I appreciate how open-minded you are. With that mindset, you will surely enjoy your life to the fullest, with or without a partner. There is no sense in trying to work things out with someone who isn't a compatible match. Taking your time and enjoying yourself in the process is the way to go!