CCL LUGGAGE PORT VALET ORLANDO??

@euroguy I highly doubt Port Canaveral has this service due to the distance between the airport and the port. They are not closely located to each other. I am following this post because I will be flying into the Orlando airport and cruising out of Port Canaveral next year. The port has expanded so much since the last time I visited. I expect a much busier crowd than in the past. At least the surrounding area isn't too chaotic in terms of traffic. Are you planing to shuttle to the terminal or rent a car?

@euroguy  I don't believe Luggage Valet is available through Carnival at MCO.  RCL used to do that but I see on their current website that Orlando is no longer listed.  It was probably too expensive to maintain post-COVID since the port was not providing this service (like they do in Seattle).

As @Cruising Caribbean indicated, if it were me I would book the Carnival shuttle bus given the distance to the airport (about 45 mins. away).  That makes renting a car or taking a taxi or ride share not very feasible or practical.  We've used it several times and it is so convenient and cost-effective.  And, you are sure to get on the ship that way.  I always recommend that you never schedule a flight before noon on the day of disembarkation.  It's just too risky.

And, I can tell you from my experiences at MCO that the airport TSA lines are usually not very efficient and can get really backed up.  That's especially true in the mornings when you have all of the Disney crowds leaving from the WDW vacations.  And, the Brightline train from Miami to MCO just began operations a couple of weeks ago that adds even more traffic into the airport.

Bottomline, take an afternoon flight and take the Carnival shuttle.  It will save you a lot of anxiety in my view.

• Like 1

@Cruising Caribbean @RoadTravelled. I  was originally going to fly in same morning of cruise but after careful consideration I've opted to fly in the day before, as I will be traveling from California and no direct flights to MCO and have plane transfer etc. I did make sure flights are staying in warm weather states as I will be flying at end of February and don't want to deal with snow issues.

Now on the hunt for a reasonably priced hotel possibly near hotel so I can grab the CCL shuttle to the port. Geeesh like becoming a 2nd job to figure out all the logistics 😒

Brightline train??? Hmmm maybe I should look into that then I could maybe a get a direct flight to Miami and take train to mco and catch shuttle. 🤔 

@euroguy That's the best idea. Give yourself plenty of time to fly just in case there is a flight delay or cancellation. I have been there before, with a canceled flight and no other option but to drive up the East Coast all night to make it back to work in time. You won't have the option to drive due to distance so you don't want to feel rushed in an unexpected circumstance like this.

@RoadTravelled That's a great recommendation! Do you know if every cruise line that cruises out of Port Canaveral offers this shuttle service? I would definitely use it. 

@Alice48 Will you be flying into Barcelona? I have a European cruise booked and was thinking of flying in directly to Barcelona. It will be my first time visiting the area. I have family in Madrid that I plan to visit while there after the cruise itinerary. I hope you share tips and tricks on transit from the airport to the cruise port. Which cruise line will you be cruising with? 

Finished my booking of flights and hotel... what a headache 😫 

I will be flying from Sacramento to Orlando with a connection in Huston Texas on southelwest, Arriving in Orlando 7p day before cruise. The reason for that flight v others was out of Huston if my connecting flight was canceled south-west has 11 flight between that same day and next morning that could get me to Orlando at the very latest noon next day. 

Return flight on American at 150p to Dallas with 3 hour layover and home by 8p. 

Hotel is 4 miles away from Orlando Airport and free shuttle to and from airport. So I will be able to get the CCL bus to port for cheap early in a.m. 

Thank you all for the input. 

• Like 2

@euroguy Booking travel takes so much time! Southwest is pretty reliable so you shouldn't have any issues making that connection. The return flight has a longer layover, but I love Dallas Airport. There is plenty to do and see. You will enjoy your 3 hours there! 

I love that the hotel has a free airport shuttle! That's great and very convenient! When does the CCL bus pick up? Does it only shuttle guests once a day or are there multiple shuttle options?

@Cruising Caribbean the shuttle runs multiple time from 10a to Noon 

I plan to catch the 1st one so i can board the ship early with any luck.

not sure im going to see much in Dallas as only 3 hour layover but at least I'll have time to get some food stretch my long legs and maybe go outside for short bit.

When is your next cruise? Hopefully some place new

• Like 1

@euroguy That's pretty awesome considering the distance from the airport to Port Canaveral. I wonder if I could hop on one of these even though I'm cruising with another cruise line. I haven't booked my flight yet because it's still so far out, but I was anticipating just renting a car.

That's the best plan of action. Arriving early will give you the best chance at that. It won't be someplace new but it will be in lots of great company so this cruise is about the people, not so much about the destinations. The cruise is Winter 2024 unfortunately not with CCL. I couldn't snag the kind of deal you did!

@Cruising Caribbean I think each cruise line has its own shuttle services to and from the port, which would make sense.

I'm glad you're going with a group it sounds like fun. In the past I traveled with my ex g.f., mother and a friend of mine with his g.f. and it really was a blast as I was very familiar with the ports, did all the planning for shore excursions with private drivers etc and was very rewarding to see them so happy and enjoying the experiences. They still to this day talk about it, even though it was from years ago. I was exhausted afterwards but it was worth it. 

You have any great plans for the trip in the winter? Driving can be good but I'm really not into driving 6+ hours when I can fly in 1 hour for a fraction of the cost. Smarter not harder. 

What's the furthest you've driven for a cruise?

• Like 1

@euroguy I will have to look into all this for my next cruise. I would rather rely on a cruise shuttle vs. another random shuttle. Then if anything goes wrong, like an accident, I would assume the cruise line would either pull through to pick me up another way or wait up for me to board. 

I would love to go on a cruise planned by you! You totally know your stuff and do lots of research. I love that about your posts. Your vacations aren't dull! 

Thankfully I haven't had to drive more than 4 hours to get to a cruise port, but now I have to add in fly time. I don't think I would want to drive more than 4 hours to any ports quite frankly. I might as well drive! This winter I have a few weddings I will fly into Florida for along with one cruise on the books. So I will be back in Florida a few times this winter, escaping the cold! 

Do you have any on-land winter plans?

@Cruising Caribbean lol yeah my cruises are certainly ly anything but dull. I think i might have been a travel guide or party planner in a past life 🤔

The world is actually pretty small so who knows maybe one day we will be on the same cruise and I can have the pleasure of planning an epic trip..that would be fun

Im with you 4 hour limit for driving. Then I fly if possible. Since I'm in Northern California it's about a 7 hour drive to the long beach port, so I fly and takes about 1 hour and costs less than driving and not burned out. Uber is $40 each way to and from airport. A couple cruiseships are now going out of San Fransico which is only about 1.5 hrs drive but the choices for itinerary are limited.

Sounds like you have some nice winter weather plans in Florida and able to catch a ship, which is great. It's probably good I don't live in Florida or nearby as I would be on a ship just about every free minute..3 Day 4 day holidays, etc. Oh yeah I would certainly be in trouble 😉 

Nothing specific for the winter months this year but never know as I like spontaneity and some times just get a bug...to bug out.  I love the ocean so maybe halfmoon bay 2hrs away, or Monterey or Carmel which are about 3.5 hrs away.

• Like 1

@euroguy I think you could live this dream in a future life! That would be such a fun job, and with all of your experience, you would be able to assist so many new travelers. The world is truly so small. I have encountered so many friends and acquaintances across the years in random cities and states. It's so easy to find a commonality between others nowadays. 

That's such a great fare to the airport! I would imagine you enjoy being so close to San Francisco. I used to go there when I was younger but I haven't been for over a decade. I have heard it has changed significantly since then.

Living in Florida really makes cruising so convenient. I think some cruise lines give a Floridian cruise discount too. 

I love Monterey and Carmel-by-the-Sea. It's my dream to live in Carmel Valley, but the cost of living has just gone crazy. How long have you been a resident of California? 

@Cruising Caribbean I rarely go to S.F. as 1.no real need 2. It has become so dirty and disgusting with the homeless and drug use. 

When I was in the military I was station at Fort Ord in Monterey. I was beyond sad when I left. Since my leaving the base has closed its military actions and has become open to public and developed in some areas. I do drive through to reminisce when I'm in the area. It's so expensive to live down in that area but would love to.

I've lived in California for a good chunk of time. I finish last year of high school here, then left for few years to east coast then returned went into military and been here since. One day I will leave as the state is nothing like it use to be and becoming stupid. But I'm here currently to be close to my mother.

• Like 1

@euroguy That's exactly what I have heard. Gone are the days when visiting San Fran felt safe and fun. I wouldn't want to visit if I felt uncomfortable. I loved living near the Monterey Warf and having the annual pass to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The cost of living and political climate make the area better for visiting than long-term living. 

The military will keep you on your toes, moving you around quite often! For someone who enjoys adventure, that lifestyle could be a fun option, but long term it can be tiring. 

Since you intend to move out of Califonia the question becomes, where would you want to reside next? I can't imagine you would want to be far from a port. You could always be like the majority of the U.S. and retire in Florida. There is no state income tax in Florida!