U.S Dept of State - (STEP) Safe Travel Enrollment Program

In another post I discussed how I enroll with the Dept. of State and register my travel itinerary as a safety protocol when traveling to foreign lands.

I was requested by @Kendall James-Vargas to provide some additional information for others.

First I will say its always a good idea to check out the threat level for your travel so you can be aware, forewarned is forearmed to take any necessary precautions. DO NOT rely on CCL to tell you, as they didn't say a peep regarding Mazatlan when I went in April and it was listed as level 4 Dont Travel (highest level) and they listed why and locations etc.

The second thing is to register with the US. DEPT OF STATE -STEP PROGRAM, it's a free service. It notifies the embassy and Consulate near your travels that you are in the area and they can send notification if necessary to you cell phone about needed to evacuate and how to get help etc. Additionally if something happens to you they are more quick to assist you as they already have all your personal information i.e. passport #, driver's license. # date of birth, emergency contacts etc.

Yes it takes a few minutes to do, but you never know what might happen and being proactive is better than reactive.

Below is the link to US Dept of State travel advisory so you can see what threat level your travels might be and scroll down and you will see the button for the STEP program. Again it's 100% free.

I hope some of you find it helpful and I do this everytime I travel to any foreign country.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/

• Thanks 1

@euroguy This is such good information! Thank you so much for sharing this because many people don't even know where to start. It is so very important to be aware of where you are visiting and the threat level. Many cruise guests rely so heavily on the cruise line to tell them everything they need to know about their cruise when in reality, the customer service representatives oftentimes have absolutely no clue. You have to protect yourself and be prepared for the places you visit. I find it foolish to go somewhere without taking the proper steps to secure the safety and well-being of yourself and those you may be traveling with.

I had absolutely no idea about the US. DEPT OF STATE -STEP PROGRAM! I'm really glad you enlightened me about this free service. I love that you provided the link too. It's too perfect. One click of of a button, and I feel so much better about protection while visiting foreign territory.

@3Sisters I'm glad you found it useful and I too hope others take the time to review the site and the abundance/wealth of information it provides. It's certainly worth a read.

I'm not sure if you are aware of TSA Pre Check this is another program worth investing some time and few $ as it really is a travel saver. Some credit cards will reimburse your expenses to register.  If you need more info let me know.

• Thanks 1

@euroguy Yes, I really appreciate you sharing the info. It's such an insider tip too. I have been cruising for some time but the US. DEPT OF STATE -STEP PROGRAM never crossed my mind. It should just be illegal to cruise without it. It's a free safety net, and barely takes any time out of your day to do. I'm all for this.

TSA pre-check is another great service! You do have to pay extra for it, but for cruise guests who are coming from out of state, this is worthwhile. I'm accustomed to driving to the port which makes it more convenient, but if you are taking more than 2-3 flights per year, I think it's very worth it. I would love to hear more about the credit card info. I just get points back! I would be willing to switch it up if the perks were better.

On 9/25/2023 at 12:33 PM, 3Sisters said:

@euroguy Yes, I really appreciate you sharing the info. It's such an insider tip too. I have been cruising for some time but the US. DEPT OF STATE -STEP PROGRAM never crossed my mind. It should just be illegal to cruise without it. It's a free safety net, and barely takes any time out of your day to do. I'm all for this.

TSA pre-check is another great service! You do have to pay extra for it, but for cruise guests who are coming from out of state, this is worthwhile. I'm accustomed to driving to the port which makes it more convenient, but if you are taking more than 2-3 flights per year, I think it's very worth it. I would love to hear more about the credit card info. I just get points back! I would be willing to switch it up if the perks were better.

@euroguy Yes, the less amount of time you have to spend in the airport the better! Travel to and from the port to the embarkation can be tedious, especially with traffic in major cities like New York and Miami. It can be hard to find flights that are timed perfectly with the embarkation/disembarkation dates. Having TSA pre-check allows for more flexibility. Thanks for the card recommendation. My traditional Amex doesn't have any outrageous perks that would hinder me from switching! 

5 hours ago, Cruising Caribbean said:

@euroguy Well then I think I may be applying for this! Thanks again for sharing this info! I wish cruise lines offered credit cards like airlines; it would be much easier to reach a higher loyalty status that way. Maybe we will see one of those down the road.

@Cruising Caribbean  Another great tip that we learned from our Carnival PVP is that if you are an AARP member (over 50), you can buy Carnival gift cards for a 10% discount.  They offer a $100 gift card for $90 and a $500 gift card for $450.  Once you get the e-Card in your email, you can apply it to virtually any CCL expenses for the cruise.  We've used them to pay for the final cruise payment, specialty restaurant bookings, adding it to our onboard account, cruise cash, gifts to our family & friends who love CCL, etc.  It's an instant 10% discount!  They are somewhat buried in the AARP website under the Rewards | Redeem section.  But, definitely worth the effort to find.

• Like 1

@RoadTravelled That's such a cool tip! I don't know any AARP members, but now I know one, you. I would imagine you do this quite often for your Carnival Cruise Line adventures! I wonder if any other perks would apply. Triple A would be a good discount for someone like myself, but I highly doubt that's an option. First things first, how do I get added to your Christmas gifting list?! You sound like the best gift giver.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

@Cruising Caribbean im surprised so few people know about the S.T.E.P. program.  I'm happy.to hear that you are spreading the word.  I wasn't sure if people knew about it thus I posted about here just in case.  

Glad I was able to share with you and @Kendall James-Vargas about the credit card. 

Regarding upcoming cruises I'm scheduled to be on Mardi Gras on Feb 24th out of Orlando the in Sept 7th I will be on the Fun Italian ship Firenze out.of Long Beach.  Starting to look at 2025 cruises to see what, where and when 😆 

• Thanks 1

@euroguy Your Mardi Gras cruise is around the corner! I have a cruise next month too and will use the free step program. Would you be willing and able to try another continent? I have noticed you are cruising lots out of the U.S. but it would be so nice if CCL would offer you a reduced-price cruise the embarks outside of the U.S.! You must be very excited about Firenze. That's a bucket list ship for me. Do you plan to use the new virtual disembarkation process on your upcoming cruise? 

image.png.04737e317cf55f993e8fb7bd6bc51bb4.png

@Cruising Caribbean yes my February cruise to Caribbean is quickly approaching and I'm starting to get a little excited...just a little, have to hold myself back or inwill end up day dreaming all the time 😆 

I actually can use my free balcony offers for voyages out of the U.S. and extended cruises however it's a time constraint issue for me as I like to take multiple cruises per year. I have a high stress position and need multiple breaks throughout the year for my own sanity. 

I am looking forward to the Mardi Gras as that will be the largest ship I've been on and also looking forward to the Firenze as it's looks and feels so different and more up scale compared to the normal CCL ship and its close so travel is an hour flight.

• Like 1

@euroguy There is nothing wrong with daydreaming! It's so fun to get excited about future plans. I find myself packing way too far in advance. I love thoughtfully planning out my outfits and taking my time doing it, little by little. However, my counterpart, will wait until an hour before and shove everything in a bag, always forgetting something! I think the last time we traveled he forgot underwear. I have had night terror of forgetting things on my cruise. I must admit; one time I forgot my exercise shoes. I worked out up and down the stairs, floors 4 to 16, for 30 minutes barefoot. I call that determination; my husband calls it crazy. 

Mardi Gras will be so fun! It was voted the best overall cruise ship by Cruise Hive for 2022. More cruise guests equals more excitement onboard. I agree that Firenze is more upscale in many ways. The ship just has so much elegance about it! Both of these cruises will be very different. I'm curious which one you will enjoy more.

@Kendall James-Vargas well ... i guess im in-between you and your hubby as I usually start packing about a week out and finalize 2 days prior.

Yes you are crazy, but we already knew that 🤣🥰

I strategically booked both cruises so i would be able to experience vastly different stuff on board. I think ive done wisely and certain i will enjoy each for what each has to offer. 

I think it will be hard to say which I like better as both are so different and I will probably like many things from both of them. 

starting to now look at feb-March 2025 but really not sure what i want to do....maybe out of hmmmm i don't know 😕 

• Haha 1

@euroguy Thanks for the words of affirmation! It was honestly so refreshing to jump in the pool right after a sweat. I think I went right in with my sports bra and shorts actually. Then some fries by the pool, it was a great way to kick off the day. I'm usually one of the first ones lining up for the lunch fries. 

I'm so glad you opted for two different types of experiences. I even think the food options will differ a bit onboard! I noticed the Statue of David will be making a comeback on Carnival Firenze. That's such an iconic piece of art, and it will be well-suited onboard the ship. Don't you think?

You should try out of Boston or New York! Somewhere in that region may be new for you. Maybe you could find a cruise that visits Canada! 

@euroguy You are on the money! September would be perfect, avoiding hurricane season but also doing those colder months. I have not cruised out of either of those ports, but I have been eyeing them both. I see a Carnival Venezia has a cool itinerary out of NY from September 7-14 that visits Nova Scotia, but you are likely thinking into 2025. 

https://www.carnival.com/itinerary/7-day-canada-and-new-england-cruise/manhattan/venezia/7-days/cn0/?itinportcode=nyc&military=N&pastGuest=N&senior=N&numGuests=2&evsel=&hideSailingEvents=true&locality=1&currency=USD&sailDate=09072024&roomType=IS

There is also an epic 14-day Carnival Pride itinerary out of Baltimore to Canada/Greenland, but I would imagine that itinerary may be too much time off of work.

Those are itineraries I have been looking into for a change of scenery.