Starlink internet

@Deneshia Kinder I understand that it has rolled out on 11 ships fleetwide. The ships that should be offering this Starlink service already include Carnival Panorama, Elation, Sunshine, Magic, Pride, Sunrise, Vista, Mardi Gras, Valor, Celebration, and Venezia.

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-line-has-good-news-for-guests-that-use-wifi/106019

Will you be cruising on a CCL ship soon? I have heard the Starlink service is wonderful and totally worth the extra cost.

On 9/19/2023 at 11:45 AM, 3Sisters said:

@Deneshia Kinder I understand that it has rolled out on 11 ships fleetwide. The ships that should be offering this Starlink service already include Carnival Panorama, Elation, Sunshine, Magic, Pride, Sunrise, Vista, Mardi Gras, Valor, Celebration, and Venezia.

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-line-has-good-news-for-guests-that-use-wifi/106019

Will you be cruising on a CCL ship soon? I have heard the Starlink service is wonderful and totally worth the extra cost.

@3Sisters We just disembarked from the Venezia this morning.  We bought internet for only 1 sea day.  The rest of the trip we could use our domestic plan at the ports to catch up as needed.  The cost for the "Value" plan was $22 for 24 hours.  The signal was strong, reliable, and fast and we had no problem at all using it.

• Thanks 1

@RoadTravelled I'm so glad you provided this feedback. I always question hearsay comments so getting news from someone directly from the ship is pretty impressive. I hope you are enjoying your cruise!

Were you affected by this? https://www.cruisehive.com/another-carnival-cruise-without-loyalty-benefits/111383 Apparently, Carnival Venezia Dimond guests didn't receive their typical loyalty benefits. I know you must have some sort of loyalty status with the line because you are an avid cruise guest!

I like that you can get just a daily rate when needed, instead of having to pay for the full week. For someone who needs a strong signal for a day or two that price isn't half bad. 

5 hours ago, 3Sisters said:

@RoadTravelled I'm so glad you provided this feedback. I always question hearsay comments so getting news from someone directly from the ship is pretty impressive. I hope you are enjoying your cruise!

Were you affected by this? https://www.cruisehive.com/another-carnival-cruise-without-loyalty-benefits/111383 Apparently, Carnival Venezia Dimond guests didn't receive their typical loyalty benefits. I know you must have some sort of loyalty status with the line because you are an avid cruise guest!

I like that you can get just a daily rate when needed, instead of having to pay for the full week. For someone who needs a strong signal for a day or two that price isn't half bad. 

@3Sisters  We had a great time on the Venezia.  She is a real beauty with all of the Italian flair and touches.  It's a Vista-class ship so we were already quite familiar with the layout.  And, it's one of our favorite class of ships.  The food was quite good with the special Italian-slanted menus.  We did the Chef's Table for the very first time and it was just over-the-top exceptional - a reception and 9-course dinner with wine all for a little under $100/person.  And, it was done in the galley kitchen so they gave us a tour and introduced us to all of the head chefs.  There are a total of 182 chefs onboard the ship!  Amazing.

No, we weren't affected by the embarkation loyalty suspension.  We are Platinum and walked through the "Priority" line.  From stepping out of the Lyft ride at the dock until we put our feet on the ship was a total of 30 minutes!  Super easy.

The thing to remember about this news article is that this only happens on "Journey" cruises (the longer ones).  The reason is quite simple.  On these type cruises the ratio of Platinum and Diamond guests is quite high - probably over 75% or more.  So, if every one is priority then no one is priority for boarding.  It just doesn't work.  This has been this way for a long time.  I don't know why they keep stirring the pot with articles like this. Every other loyalty benefit still exists.  AND, P&D guests get to choose their check-in times 2 days before everyone else.  So, you still are getting that benefit as well to get there when you want to. We did have this affect us last November when we did a 15-day transatlantic.  Again, it was a "Journey" cruise.  No big deal.  My main benefit I care about is the free laundry service!  LOL

• Like 1

@RoadTravelledThanks for sharing about your Venezia experience! I love the Italian flair. I have cruised on board a Costa ship before and I really enjoyed the Italian ambiance. I have yet to splurge on a Chef's Table experience, but I think you have sold me. Were you able to finish the 9-course meal? I hope the portions were small. That sounds like an insane amount of incredible food. 

I'm so glad you weren't affected by this loyalty suspension. It doesn't get better than 30 minutes! Have you been on an itinerary like this before? Did you get to go to any new destinations on this cruise?

Thanks for adding that. I didn't realize the ratio of Platinum and Diamond guests would be over 75% or more. The priority line would be the majority at that point. I would want the laundry service too after a 15-day cruise! When you cruise for more than 7-days, do you eat in the MDR every evening? 

18 hours ago, 3Sisters said:

@RoadTravelledThanks for sharing about your Venezia experience! I love the Italian flair. I have cruised on board a Costa ship before and I really enjoyed the Italian ambiance. I have yet to splurge on a Chef's Table experience, but I think you have sold me. Were you able to finish the 9-course meal? I hope the portions were small. That sounds like an insane amount of incredible food. 

I'm so glad you weren't affected by this loyalty suspension. It doesn't get better than 30 minutes! Have you been on an itinerary like this before? Did you get to go to any new destinations on this cruise?

Thanks for adding that. I didn't realize the ratio of Platinum and Diamond guests would be over 75% or more. The priority line would be the majority at that point. I would want the laundry service too after a 15-day cruise! When you cruise for more than 7-days, do you eat in the MDR every evening? 

@3Sisters  As you know, the Venezia was a past Costa ship.  So, I'm sure it was very similar to your experiences on Costa.

The Chef's meal was a lot of food for sure.  But, they were generally small portions and all very tasty.  By the last meat course though I was getting really full.  I was told by the woman seated next to me that they always eat a very light breakfast and no lunch on the day they do this.  Smart!

We have visited Canada many times in the past on land.  But, this was our first Canadian cruise.  The ports were not really that exciting compared to our Baltic, European, and Alaska cruises.  However, it was still a great cruise just by being on the ship and enjoying all it had to offer.

Yes, we generally eat at the MDR each night unless we have a specialty dinner planned that night (steakhouse, seafood restaurant, chef's table, etc.)  And, on sea days we always do breakfast in the MDR Sea Day Brunch as well.  It just makes for a more relaxed and nicer time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@RoadTravelled I can't image how you could appreciate everything with nine hefty servings. I'm glad the plates are smaller! It sounds like the perfect experience for a special occasion. I love a good long, dragged-out meal. It's the best, and I don't get those dining experiences often. I'm curious how much this Chef's meal costs. It sounds very worth whatever the cost is. You must have cruised for the ship rather than the itinerary that round. I do enjoy a good Sea Day MDR brunch too! Although, the brunches don't always last long enough for me. I often require a good sleep-in after a long night out dancing on the ship. 

9 hours ago, 3Sisters said:

@RoadTravelled I can't image how you could appreciate everything with nine hefty servings. I'm glad the plates are smaller! It sounds like the perfect experience for a special occasion. I love a good long, dragged-out meal. It's the best, and I don't get those dining experiences often. I'm curious how much this Chef's meal costs. It sounds very worth whatever the cost is. You must have cruised for the ship rather than the itinerary that round. I do enjoy a good Sea Day MDR brunch too! Although, the brunches don't always last long enough for me. I often require a good sleep-in after a long night out dancing on the ship. 

@3Sisters  Yes, having the small plates definitely helped for sure.  As I recall the cost of the Chef's Table was $80/person which includes the meal, wine pairings, and the tour of the galley.  So, all-in-all, well worth it.

You are correct.  We usually choose the cruise based on the ports.  But, in this case we wanted to see what the whole Costa/Carnival ships were like.  And, we were quite pleased with that experience.

• Like 1

@3Sisters I too have done the chefs table a couple cruises ago. It cost me $90. It was an experience for sure. You certainly  are being treated at different level. All the plates are pretty small but have great flavors.  A couple of appetizers they provides I thought would be great to add to the MDR menu as it would be pretty easy. I think if funds are available you should give it a try at least once.  Below are a few pics I took while at the Chefs table.  

20230427_211230.jpg

20230427_210103.jpg

20230427_203536.jpg

20230427_203443.jpg

20230427_202406.jpg

20230427_194418.jpg

20230427_191339.jpg

20230427_190320.jpg

20230427_190227.jpg

20230427_185303.jpg

• Thanks 1

@RoadTravelled I think that is such a reasonable price considering everything you get! It includes wine pairings as well which is so impressive. Fine wine alone can cost that much! Also, I don't blame you for cruising for the ship. You appreciate the details too, and this ship has lots of them!

@euroguy I love the presentation in these photos! Thanks for sharing the images. Is that an edible butterfly in the first photo? Thanks for sharing the menu too. Next time I cruise with Carnival, I will make sure I go to this experience. Since I haven't done it before, it will make my cruise experience exceptional.