Library and card room

I was on my first Carnival cruise this summer and was extremely disappointed that there is neither a library nor card room on the Mardi Gras!  One of my big relaxation activities Is playing bridge with new people. Now knowing that this is a company wide policy, I will not be choosing Carnival again and will look VERY HARD at the other lines owned by Carnival 

• Sad 1

@Linda Browning I have not seen library, card rooms or cigar bars on Carnival ship for some time now. I'm taking a guess that it's been probably 10 years or more. CCL is more focused on a bit younger generation which seems to have removed those spaces to be filled with other items inline with the primary cruiser base.

You said this is your 1st cruise with CCL, have you cruised recently with other lines that have libraries and card rooms?

• 3 months later...

I agree. I love the card/gamerooms that are on other cruise lines. Every time we go into one there are all ages and it's just that, a card/game room. People are enjoying themselves and it's actually not a library so you can have fun playing games and it doesn't feel so stuffy. 

@Linda Browning It's unfortunate most cruise lines are done away with these areas, but it's not surprising. Most family-oriented cruise lines rarely ever see these spaces utilized so they have been transformed into more useful spaces. The more mature-oriented cruise lines will likely have these spaces onboard still, but it's just a matter of time before most lines transition over. Most cruise ships have other public spaces where playing cards are easy and appropriate. It's different, but it's certainly possible!

@euroguy Thanks for sharing that! I agree with you.

@Sonya Carroll Game rooms are fun, but the most popular game rooms onboard family-oriented cruise lines (such as CCL) are the arcades. These spaces can be enjoyed but they aren't as common anymore. Which cruise lines have you enjoyed recently that typically offer card rooms to guests?