Karen Parsons

KJP

@KJP I saw this news article about Carnival Paradise and two women being struck by a hit-and-run. https://www.cruisehive.com/two-cruise-passengers-left-in-mexico-after-accident/110832

The only news I about Hurricane Lee and its effect on one of Carnival Venezia's recent itineraries. Do you have updates on the helicopter? I'm super intrigued now! 

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-ship-changing-itinerary-due-to-hurricane-lee/110341

This is another prime example of why i always travel with a passport on cruise ship visiting foriegn ports and purchase travel insurance separate from my credit card.  Yes I purchase my cruise with a credit card that provides free travel insurance. The reason is one may cover more or different items from the other.

Additionally when traveling to foreign lands I always register with the U.S. Department of State. When you do this it asks for itinerary, passport info emergency contacts and other information. Yes it take a few extra minutes but when in need of assistance you have set yourself up for success by being proactive v reactive.

Fortunately I have never had any reasons to utilize any safe guards but just in case it's all set up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@euroguy I wouldn't travel without my passport on a cruise ship. It doesn't matter what type of itinerary it is. I need to hear what credit card offers free travel insurance. Do you have to call ahead of time to schedule the insurance or does it automatically kick in? If this credit card offers cash-back rewards, I think I may be switching. I wonder if my card already offers this perk and I didn't even know about it! I only purchase vacation/travel options with a credit card. It's the safest way to do it! 

Could you also expand on registering with the U.S. Department of State? This sounds like a travel tip everyone should be utilizing. I'm all about proactive vs. reactive. I like your strategy! 

@Kendall James-Vargas I've posted a new topic regarding the State Dept for everyone along with a link. 

As for the credit card I use is Capital One Venture One which is specifically geared towards travel and yes I also get reward points and you it for booking and excursions and other travel stuff i.e. ubur lyft dining events rental cars ... yes it covers all your rental car insurance needs as well (automatically) they sent me a link to all the stuff it covers and I was blown away. Flight delay hotels and meals lost luggage, I think if I recall even extended warranty on purches. 

And you are correct always travel with passport. 

Another great travel tip: TSA PRE CHECK, worth its weight in gold. I fly through tsa check points don't have to take my shoes or belt off no full body scans etc. I usually can get through tsa screening in less than 5 minutes, the only exception was Seattle which took about 15 minutes but had a lot of people, however the standard line which I saw was horrific and would have been 1 - 1.5 hours.

• Thanks 1

@euroguy You are the best! Thanks for much for creating a whole new post on this awesome information. I really hope many cruise guests save this info for future use. You may just end up really saving the day for a cruise guest by enlightening them with these security measures. I'm one of those cruise guests who really needed the U.S. Department of State info. 

I totally second the TSA Pre-Check. I have it now. This is my first year with it and I'm not sure how I ever traveled without it. It's a game-changer. I would never go back to flying the "old way." Also, I got my 5-year on a Black Friday deal so it was super affordable. Another pro tip, my young children can go through the TSA line with me and don't need to be TSA-approved! Flights with children are already a headache, but TSA just makes it so much easier.

@Kendall James-Vargas happy to help and I too hope some take the time to visit the site it has so much useful I formation which is great for every traveler not just solos and families like yours.

You are correct a parent with TSA pre check kids get to tag along.  I'm sure it makes it easier on your kids too.  I stumbled across this service a few years ago and like you, I feel it's a total game changer when dealing with TSA security check points and will never go back to regular non Pre Check  travels.

I have literally walked right past very long TSA lines to Pre Check line with noone in it walk up and 2 minutes later done, and watched the faces of others in the very long line  puzzled why I could do that. 

Oh and my capital one venture one credit card gave me a credit of the pre check registration cost....hehehehe

• Thanks 1

@euroguy That's right! Not everyone thinks about these sorts of things. Have you seen the Clear option? I have noticed more guests using that now (I think it's facial recognition). That's the future of travel. I'm not sure about the cost of that but TSA lines are priced right and short enough for me. It's really all I need. Another huge perk, shoes, and belts stay on. Gone are the days when I had to walk through the security area barefoot because I was wearing sandals and forgot socks. That just grossed me out every time!

I'm totally going to look into the Capital One credit card. Thanks for that tip. I remember reading one of your posts about travel insurance included in your card perks. Is this the same card? 

@Kendall James-Vargas yes the capital one venture one card is gearwd specifically towards travel and has so many perks. I called capital one and asked them what all the perk where and they sent me a pdf which was several pages and covered much more than i imagined. I will see if i can find the pdf to post but it's been a while since they sent to me.

Yes I remember those days of wearing slip on shoes and ugh. 

Regarding Clear, i can't remember if it's facial or eye scan, but I do know it works for both domestic and foriegn travel v pre check is only domestic. The cost to register is much more and takes several months to a year to get approved.

• Thanks 1

@euroguy I would love to see that pdf! I have also been looking into airline credit cards, but I have to stay loyal to one airline and I still hop around a lot. This card may offer a better variety for earning points via traveling air, sea, and land. Do you use this credit card for flying too? Really the most I get back right now is 3% with gas purchases, and that isn't all that great.

I didn't realize it took that long to get approved! The price looks like $189 right now based on the website, but you have to pay that annually. I don't think I travel enough for that. If I traveled at least once a month it could be worth it but I'm probably only taking 6-8 flight trips per year. We did a lot more than usual this year. There were too many weddings! 

I use the capital credit card for all travel charges. Then pay it off and when on vacation use it then pay it off

this way everything is covered for insurance purposes and I don't have to pay interest for the charges..

Edited by euroguy

• 6 months later...

@KJP Did you ever figure out that that light was? I'm intrigued to find out what it was all about!

@euroguy I'm interested in this capital card! I also always pay off my cards so I don't incur any interest. That's the best way to use a credit card. The security benefits are much greater than that of a debit card. Do you find the capital credit card to give you a better return than that of other cards?

• 4 weeks later...

@KJP I'm not sure what happened that time on Carnival Venezia, but the US Air Force had to do a medical evacuation on the ship on May 4, 2024. It reminded me of your post (although I'm not sure we got the final outcome). This airlift was super impressive. The story was incredible and inspiring, but I'm still curious what happened onboard Carnival Venezia with the helicopters that last go! 

image.thumb.png.368880b8e557155875024f3e07939f3b.png

image.thumb.png.7160512f3fddb47f0cc683e237389181.png