Can You Identify this Ship?

Sorting and organizing pictures this weekend,  I thought I would post this to see if you can identify the ship.  I'm almost certain it is a Royal Caribbean ship based on the Viking Crown Lounge on the funnel.  This was taken on February 9th, 1989 in Grand Cayman.  I have narrowed the ship down to the Sun Viking or Song of Norway.  Any guesses?  Anyone you know sail this ship during this time period?  

RCCL Sun Viking or Song of Norway?.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, got the trifecta. Went down some rabbit holes. It’s the Sun Viking. The Miami Herald Fall 1988 cruise section show 2 RCL ships sailing Itineraries from Miami including Grand Cayman. Song of America 7-day cruise departing Sundays (Feb 5) and Sun Viking 8-day cruise departing Feb 4, 1989. Either could have been at Grand Cayman 2/9/89, depending on whether the cruise route was clockwise or counter-clockwise & when Sun Viking had its 3rd sea day. Ships photo make it clear – Song of America is distinctly different than the mystery ship, while Sun Viking is the similar shape. Just so you know – Song of Norway was homeported in San Juan doing Southern Caribbean cruises. (Plus, the stern of Song of Norway is different than Sun Viking.) WHEW

image.thumb.jpeg.ac728c43e08088e616f13aed8862ed3f.jpeg

Song of America

SongofAmericahomsonDestiny_(cropped).thumb.jpg.1f9760ef5611518698ce5e42366dbf44.jpg

Sun Viking

Sun_Viking_at_Ocean_Terminal_Hong_Kong_(cropped).thumb.jpg.31a0f89f902c99f3ae71cb820c866b0c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@FJB Wow, you are good! I honestly have no clue where to even begin. I'm impressed you were able to narrow it down to a RCL ship. 

@kefthecruiser You both need to keep this up! Your ability to decipher all of this info and pinpoint which ships these are is so impressive. I know where to go if I have any questions about cruise history! I love all of the fun facts. When did your passion for cruising begin? 

• 1 month later...

@kefthecruiser Yes, you do. I'm not good at this type of guessing. You won't find me winning "Name that tune" either. I bet you are pretty good at that! Carnival Sensation goes way back! You started strong with a 7-night cruise! Anything less than that is a bore to me now. What is the longest cruise you have taken? I haven't done more than an 8-night, but I would adventure to do more if I could break away for longer. 

• Like 1

@Cruising Caribbean My longest cruise was a 15 day Panama Canal trip on HAL. While we had 6 sea days, there were no more than 2 in a row. I also had a 14 day transAtlantic trip on Princess that had 7 sea days in a row once they cancelled a stop in the Azores. Definitely needed to get off the ship after that! Like, how much trivia / bingo / slots can you play and / or see the same comic again? Speaking of trivia, I'm not good at Name that Tune. Classic movie trivia - now that's where I shine. "Rosebud", "There's no place like home", "Frankly, my dear I don't give a damn" are movie quotes most everyone gets. But how many people know - "I coulda been a contender"?

ANS: Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, and finally - Marlon Brando in On the Waterfront

• Thanks 1

@kefthecruiser That's a great itinerary! It's pretty impressive the itinerary didn't have more than 2 sea days in a row. I wouldn't want to be on a ship for half of my cruise itinerary without getting off. If I were to live on a ship, I could understand being at sea crossing the Pacific or Atlantic. Other than that, I expect to get off the ship and explore! 

You lost me with the trivia quotes! I love to watch others enjoy trivia games, but I'm awful at it. It's probably because I rarely watch television and don't have cable. To top it off, I don't follow any news channels other than Cruise Hive! I prefer to read up on cruise news over any other kind.