Cruise Hive Boards

Ocean Cay closure for April and May 2024

Cindy63

@Cindy63 Unfortunately this is true information! Thankfully MSC Cruises is giving guests plenty of notice, but I'm so bummed for all of those that are booked to visit Ocean Cay and will have to skip it. This is just a temporary Ocean Cay closure to make future enhancements to the popular island. I truly hope these dates remain as I am slated to be visiting in February 2024.

@Dakota 88 The last time I visited I was quite impressed with the beach and amenity quality for MSC Yacht Club guests. Although I have yet to cruise Yacht Club, I noticed all of the sweet amenities from private cabanas to a personalized golf cart shuttle around the island! Covered pickleball courts would be next level. I would imagine that pickleball courts could be in the island's future, but I'm not sure if the courts would be covered! What other amenities do you think the line will be adding? To keep up with competitors, I'm thinking Ocean Cay needs some water park-like additions such as water slides and/or a zipline. How cool would it be if the area when you get off the ship, after leaving the docking area, had a splash pad for the kids? There is plenty of space for something like that!

@Cindy63 That is a fact! It's a bummer Ocean Cay will be closed to the public but as an area of conservation, it's sensible to continue to upkeep the area with a close. I will explain why. Ocean Cay just received an honor from Mission Blue calling it a Hope Spot for its outstanding conservation efforts. Aside from this recent honor, this private island furthers the efforts of the MSC Foundation and the launch of its Super Coral Program. What really makes MSC Cruises' private island stand out amongst the other private islands is its conservation efforts and commitment to sustainable efforts over the standard hyped-up guest amenities. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Cindy63 Details are beginning to be released about the Ocean Cay amenities that will be enhanced during the closure. I will keep you posted on news about this closure as it surfaces.

@Dakota 88 A better place for Yacht Club members is in the works! https://www.cruisehive.com/popular-private-island-to-receive-massive-100-million-expansion/107962

Edited by 3Sisters