Cruise Hive Boards

St Martin - Natural Pools / Friar's Bay Beach

@SpaceCowboy9 I found this article that mentions Friar's Bay Beachhttps://www.cruisehive.com/stunning-st-maarten-beaches-you-should-experience/26930

It seems like a very popular, off-the-beaten-path type of beach experience. I think it's worth a shot! The only thing is it's about a 45 min drive from the port, but that isn't too bad for a full-day affair. 

• Like 1

@SpaceCowboy9 What a nice plan! With that amount of extra time, you can surely explore more St Martin beaches. I haven't taken a cruise out of St Martin before, but I think it's very smart that you will be flying in early to enjoy all of the local amenities. For someone who hasn't cruised out of this area before, what are some of your favorite spots in the local area? 

@SpaceCowboy9 Thanks for sharing! I do love a good snorkel spot, especially if it's close to some shady trees for a beachside picnic. I will have to try Mullet Bay Beach next time I visit St Martin. How far is this beach from the cruise port? If I were to cruise out of St Martin, I would likely get a hotel close to the cruise port! 

@SpaceCowboy9That sounds totally up my alley! I appreciate you sharing this info. The next time I'm there I would be very interested to visit. My husband, on the other hand, may be apprehensive accompanying me to a day of leisurely shopping at my discretion. I may end up needing a whole other empty suitcase for my novelty finds! There isn't anything better to shop for than handcrafted goods. I guess the second best is shopping for second-hand goods, including thrifted items. I do enjoy the thrill of the hunt. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

Friar's bay is indeed a very pretty place to spend a day, even though i would say there is more of that type of beaches, like Simpson Bay beach or Kim Sha Beach closerby from the port - be it slightly busier. The 30-40 min. drive itself to either can be well combined with spotting airplanes landing at Maho Beach . 

Natural pool can almost be walked from the cruise port, that one is a lot closer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@island traveler Thanks for sharing your experience with Friar's Bay. I have been to St. Martin once and went to the most amazing beach! I don't recall the name of it, but it was very private and secluded. The next time I cruise there I would love to try Friar's Bay. Kim Sha Beach also sounds lovely if I chose to stay closer to the port. It sounds like you have visited St. Martin quite a few times. How many times have you traveled there? What keeps you coming back for more?

Wife and I will be in Sint Maarten in February.  Been there many times so this time we just plan on going into town and having some Johnny Cake bread and lunch at Maxine’s Caribbean bar & Grill on the beach.  

• Like 2

@FJB I love that you know all the local stops! Now I need to know what Johnny Cake bread is. I haven't been to Maxine's either, but if it's on a public beach this stop could double as a dip in the ocean! I haven't been to Sint Marteen in a very long while. Have you been to the natural pool @island traveler mentioned? It sounds like a convenient stop.

3 minutes ago, 3Sisters said:

@FJB I love that you know all the local stops! Now I need to know what Johnny Cake bread is. I haven't been to Maxine's either, but if it's on a public beach this stop could double as a dip in the ocean! I haven't been to Sint Marteen in a very long while. Have you been to the natural pool @island traveler mentioned? It sounds like a convenient stop.

Johnny Cake is like a sweet roll - popular in the Caribbean.  Delish!  I have probably driven by the natural pool on one of many excursions in Sint Maarten, but never a stop that I am aware of.  One our more memorable adventures on the stand was when my daughter and I rented an old ATV type vehicle that didn’t look like it would make it out of the parking lot.  It ran the whole day while we drove around most of the island, French and Dutch side, seeing the sites. Maho Beach was a favorite where we stopped to watch the planes.  

• Like 1

@FJB Now I want one! I love sweet rolls. I bet they are like heavenly Hawaiian rolls. The yeast rolls at Texas Roadhouse are by far my favorite. They melt in your mouth with the honey butter on top. They are divine! You and your daughter are true adventurers. If I saw a questionable ATV, there is no way I would be willing to drive it around unknown territory. This story goes to show you, don't judge an ATV by the cover. The fact that it got you all around the island is truly impressive. I will have to do Maho Beach the next time I stop there. Now that you and @island traveler recommend it, it must be a win!

• Like 1