Carribean Must Go To Ports?

@euroguy Have you been to any ports of call in the Dominican Republic? The area is experiencing much popularity and growth, mainly due to its natural beauty, especially in its waterways. I have been to Puerto Plata before and thought it was a perfect little man-made paradise. Everything near the port was very well-maintained and tourist-friendly. 

I went to a waterpark for the day called Ocean World there. I booked this excursion through my cruise line but it was very simple and friendly for all. The bus was super clean and air-conditioned. Ocean World has all of the amenities plus come including a man-made beach with floats and plenty off easy food options. This excursion was a little paradise with opportunities to snorkel with the fish, swim with the dolphins, feed local birds, and even watch a shark show. It's not an excursion for someone who wants the native land experience but it was a great time if you are looking for a laid-back thing to do in the area. I took my children here for ease and convenience. 

I agree with @FJB and @Woody14. St. Kitts, Antiga, and St. Martin are all really safe and scenic options! 

@FJB I have yet to go to Curaçao; I guess it's a little far out for a 7-night cruise out of Florida. When you visited this area, how many nights did you have to book to make it there? Did you embark from a Florida port? 

10 hours ago, 3Sisters said:@FJB and @Woody14

@FJB I have yet to go to Curaçao; I guess it's a little far out for a 7-night cruise out of Florida. When you visited this area, how many nights did you have to book to make it there? Did you embark from a Florida port? 

We did a 7 night out of San Juan to the ABC islands. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@SpaceCowboy9 I like you're rec's all though I have heard some concerns about San Juan and Americans. perhaps they have been miss placed. When was the last time you went to San juan? Taking the ferry to?? Thanks fkr tour group info thats a valuable tip as i usually hire private vs. Ship as usually get bigger bang for your buck. Ive experience some increadible things booking non ship excursions, as was not listed for ship and saved tons of money as well.

Was in San Juan in May on a cruise & last August, took a quick, 4-night trip there.  Very safe, but it's just like being in any major city, you have to be aware of your surroundings & there are some places you shouldn't go.

The ferry building is close to the cruise port in old town. We take the ferry across the bay to go to Bacardi. You can usually get a cab on the other side for less than $10 per person (though we haven't done it since before 2020) - we heard Bacardi is doing reservations now, you used to be able to go & hang out - beautiful setting.

• Like 1

@SpaceCowboy9 I agree! It's always best to be aware and cautious of your surroundings. I think most crime happens at cruise ports when guests aren't cautious. I like to keep my belongings in a zippered spot on me, in my front, not towards my backside where I can't see. I also enjoy purchasing excursions through the cruise line for extra security. Although it's more money, I feel reassured about booking through the cruise line. San Juan is a beautiful historic area in Puerto Rico. You can't go wrong with U.S. dollars being the local currency either!

• Like 1