NCL Confusion Over Alcohol at UK Ports

There's been a lot of confusion over the past week after Norwegian Cruise Line banned selling and serving alcohol on its ships when in a UK port. Has anyone experienced this onboard? Is anyone currently on a UK cruise?

• Like 1

We are currently on the Star going round Ireland. There were no drinks served in Southampton until international waters around 9pm. Not the happiest sailaway! We were assured that it would not happen again in Belfast but it did. Lots of very disgruntled passengers and NCL have not apologised or given even a token gesture compensation. They are losing many formerly loyal customers. The guest services and on board officers blame the ports and say they don't know the reason. Submitted complaints are relied to with a standard statement that it is an issue with the ports and thank you for your understanding, which they do not have as they have not provided a good reason. Any response to that gets a case vlosed reply. 

This is not in any way an acceptable way to treat your customers. I cannot imagine that many cruise next vouchers will have been purchased.

A number of passengers have removed their tips which is a shame as the crew are excellent and seem experienced and well trained unlike many cruise lines post covid.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@CM Cruising I was unaware of this. This is such a weird protocol! I would imagine anyone who purchased a beverage package must be very upset. I'm saddened to hear about all of the angered passengers onboard. Quite frankly, I would be upset too. This is a vacation experience, guests shouldn't be denied a privilege they expected to receive onboard their cruise. It's such a shame that this frustration was taken out on the cruise crew by omitting their tips. It wasn't the crew's decision to make! What a shame. 

I'm reading terrible reviews lately in regards to NCL. I'm making sure I will never sail with them because of what I'm hearing. Customer service is going out of the window, so I hope people will begin to boycott the company until they start pulling their finger out and start doing the right thing.

@Clive73 I didn't realize the cruise line has been operating at 103% occupancy. That's excellent news for NCL. I think 100 pounds in a future cruise credit is pretty fair. It may not be the perfect reimbursement, but at least it's something. It shows guests that Norwegian Cruise Line values them. The demand for cruising is certainly on the rise, aside from the poor customer service, it seems like NCL is still performing pretty well. Were you affected by this shift in alcohol service?