Carnival Pride

Carnival Pride is currently dry-docked, undergoing some routine maintenance and upgrades that will last about a month in Spain. Apparently, the ship had controversial feedback on its steakhouse's David statue. Has anyone witnessed this statue face-to-face before? The statue is set to be removed during this dry dock.

Additionally, Carnival Pride will receive three new venues onboard! The new venues will be named The Hero's Tribute Bar & Lounge, the Dreams Photo Studio, and the Carnival Adventure Shop. 

It's also important to note that Carnival Pride will become much more accessible for persons with disabilities. Twenty-nine cabins onboard will be turned into ADA-compliant staterooms, making this ship more accessible all around! 

The spa and fitness areas onboard will also be significantly enhanced to keep up with the rest of the fleet. May 27th Carnival Pride is set to cruise a 12-day itinerary from Barcelona. Hopefully, CCL is able to stick to its dry dock timeframe and not have to cancel this awesome itinerary coming up!

Many years ago I cruised on CCL Pride and personally saw the David Statue. I too read about the dry dock and removal. I'm sad.. I never took it offensive and thought of it strictly art and frankly it was impressive. If I had a space at my house I would buy it...well maybe 🤔 😆 it was very unique and actually thought it to be fun. People are too uptight these days.  Would hate to hear what they say if the visited Rome or Greece. Broaden your mind and appreciate what it represents not what you imagine in your minds. Okay said my two cents.  Glad I had the opportunity to be part of CCL history and what was.

• Thanks 1

@euroguy Thanks for sharing your Carnival Pride statue experience. Art can be interpreted in many ways, but I guess everyone is all about playing it safe these days. Anything that could potentially be offensive, in even the slightest way, is completely avoided in society today. If you haven't heard the latest terminology, this is called "woke" culture. It's certainly a more youthful and modern-day perspective on basically becoming more open-minded and all-inclusive. For someone who was brought up in a more traditional way, I'm still learning how to modernize myself into this new set of cultural norms. It is pretty cool you can say you were able to experience and appreciate such art, in a way that many others in society were unable to do.

@FJB That statement is quickly becoming a reality! Things are rapidly changing.

10 hours ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

. For someone who was brought up in a more traditional way, I'm still learning how to modernize myself into this new set of cultural norms.

That’s part of the problem - we are accepting this new “norm” when we should be pushing back!  I refuse to accept it! 

• Like 1

Kendall I have not heard of the "woke" movement that you spoke about but if as you say they are more open minded then what's the problem with the Davis statue ? Wouldn't that mean they would be more accepting.  Just a thought. Perhaps I missed your point..lol

• Like 1

@FJB I doubt @euroguy is joking. Most people who don't spend much time on social media aren't always aware of the newest trends and cultural norms. This "woke" ideology is really a newer idea about being more aware of what you say and how you feel. I guess you could care more about your own feelings and the feelings of others by working hard not to offend anyone. This movement contradicts itself at times; while you are supposed to be careful what you say to others so they don't get offended, you are also supposed to value yourself over everything else. I guess self-actualization and doing things that make you feel good, but at the same time, you are supposed to be all accepting of everything in order to be "accepted" by the "awoken" community. Clearly, I'm still adjusting to this concept, but it's definitely the trend.

I really found your perspective on this "woke" ideology interesting, and you make a great point. It's supposed to be a more all-inclusive perspective, but at the same time, I have noticed this culture to be the most scrutinizing to others who don't share the same beliefs and ideals. The whole idea is for people to be more accepting of all, but certainly "woke" movements are super divisive and the "woke" community works hard to support these movements in a way that excludes outsiders' opinions and perspectives. For all the pride this culture has in being accepted, it surely creates a vast amount of division as well.

• Like 1

I spend zero time on social media I purposefully do not have a Facebook account t, do t do Twitter or tic tok or any other social media. 

I do not feel that I need to broadcast my life on the internet. If someone wants to get to know me let's have an adult conversation. This foum is about as close as I get to social media and even this is anonymous. 

I think it's interesting g how so many people have lost social skills and face.to face interactive skills because of all the online stuff. Perfect example was I recently had an employee that had difficulty answering the phone and talking to people solely because he was consumed with social media, texting g and other online activities which in essence made him under developed in actually communicating with people verbally and face to face and that is sad as this seems to be the direction our younger population is headed. 

Another recent observation was I was out for dinner and looked across to a table next to me which had 2 parents a son and daughter. All 4 of them faces into their phones and not a word being spoken to each other. It was the same throughout the entire dinner.  We as a society have imo lost the people connection. So forgive me when I hear about the "woken" or "woke" and think it's a bunch of horse manuer as it all sounds self centered and two faced. I.e. I want to talk nice about you but really it's all about me and if you don't agree with me or like what I believe then you're not worthy and I will talk.bad about you and exclude you. 

He'll it's not even male or female anymore it's binary. I had a client tell me how her daughter was talking to her and tell somethings about a lizard in class and at some point said the lizard was binary. Really!?!?!?! Yes this is a real story.

I understand this is away off topic but imo society has lost its way to.the point the a David statue is offensive God forbid we see our selves as human.

• Like 2

I enjoy your perspective on social media. It's such a facade too. As a person who has many friends who are "influencers" and make money doing it, I can tell you everything on the internet is money driven and all about the views. It's not real life, and it's definitely not the meaning of life. The next generations are growing up with social media as a descriptor for their livelihood, with unrealistic expectations and standards. It's a dangerous thing for our very impressionable youth. You can't live up to unrealistic societal expectations.

I also appreciate your perspective on societal changes. It's pretty natural that not everyone agrees. I don't think everyone needs to support or agree with the "woke" movement, although I will keep my personal opinions concealed. Lots of children in schools identify as animals (particularly pets) and respective bathroom essentials are being provided (such as kitty litter) for those respective identifying students in public schools in Florida. I understand being inclusive, but I'm curious about when or if society will draw the line. 

I do apologize if I kinda crossed the line a bit and voicing opinions here. I know doing g so probably isn't politically correct but I'm getting to the point in life that yes I can have self control but yet at the same time it's difficult to hold back so what you get is a toned down version of what I'm really thinking/feeling inside.

Here is another interesting thing that just recently happened to me, which left shaking my head. 

On my last cruise a month ago, after that last nights dinner concluded 3 of my table mates wanted to keep in touch with me. The other 4 people where MIA most of the cruise. One of the 3 that exchanged info was a single female and we kinda made friends. After returning home she and I texted a few times, then came a odd request she wanted to call and ask me something. I said sure no problem. Now keep in mind she and i literally saw each other 5x at MDR for dinner, we bumped into each other couple of time and spent maybe a total of 15 minutes talking and on last night we saw the final show toggoodnight. Gave her a nice hug (yes I'm a hugger lol) and  said our goodnights. That's it nothing more or less. And she lives in Boston and I live in California 3000 miles apart.

So she called and it was a bit labored but I tried to keep the conversation light and moving. Then bam!!! She says "I've been trying to search for you on the internet and can't find anything about you ..are you a real person?" I paused and sarcastic me said nope you met a ghost...then laughed and explained that I don't do any social media and purposefully don't put anything out on the net regarding myself. Well that wasn't good enough she wanted to know my middle initial and I knew at that point she was going to try and run a paid search ..I declined her request. She then states well I'm sorry but I don't think I can continue talking with you.  I thanked her for the call told her I wished her the best of luck and safe travels and ended the call.

The point of this story is I now personally  experienced how people are way to dependant on internet information to the point t of not even willing to be "just friends" 3000 miles apart.  Really sad, as I'm a great person not a criminal well employed have my life together well traveled and can hold a conversation beyond just the weather. 

Edited by euroguy
  • Sad 1

I am concerned for the current generation growing up.  Between the furies in school, the trans/non-binary crap being allowed in schools, the tic tok social media crap - they don’t have a chance in the real world unless their parents are sensible with their upbringing.  I hire teenagers in my 2 businesses and do what I can to give them real world experience. For the most part I have been very lucky with my teenage hires coming from a strong family background. 

As far as social media goes, I don’t do FakeFriends or tic tac. However, I do have a YouTube channel. As mentioned above, yes there is money to be made, but for me, it’s not about the money or the likes or the views. I do it it for the education of others. And because I enjoy video and photography. Feel free to look up my channel - Farmer MD. I don’t have a lot to hide. Though I have to be careful with some of the politics I get into or else YouTube will bann me. But for the most part, I speak my mind and ignore the woke BS. 

• Like 1

@FJB You are definitely in with the times! I'm going to check you out on youtube. I agree with your perspective, and I'm glad you share your perspectives publicly for others to view. It's important to have diversity in each social media platform such as youtube. It's a bummer some of your topics get banned, just for trying to be informative by sharing your opinions. Hats off to you for being a genuine human, and sharing factual information that will better our communities. I have seen one of the cruise videos you have posted in the past, and I loved it! I hope you continue sharing your experiences in a positive way. It sets a great example for generations to come. 

• Like 1