Cruise Hive Boards

Holland America Line's 150th Anniversary Crossing

Holland America Line has been preparing for its 150th festivities for quite some time, and the line has officially recreated its initial transatlantic voyage departing from Fort Lauderdale on April 3. The cruise line has a such rich history behind it, over 150 years worth now! It began as a Dutch shipping line with its first ship Rotterdam in 1872 and has now transformed into a large cruise line operating 11 ships globally. Has anyone enjoyed cruising Holland America Line in years past or has a booking with the line in the near future?

This cruise line is one of the oldest cruise lines still standing, alongside the oldest,  P&O Cruises. Most recently, the, then, oldest cruise ship, Astoria, was scrapped after 75 years of service. Astoria used to serve as a transatlantic voyage vessel for the German Communist Party. It became the longest-service ship and was truly a long-standing part of history. The ship's journey ended when Cruise & Maritime Voyages went bankrupt in 2020. The cruising industry has been around for quite some time!

• 5 weeks later...

@FJB Why do you think you gravitated to other cruise lines instead of Holland America Line? You have so much cruise experience! Taking a cruise in 1989 sounds so long ago. I'm sure the industry has changed so much, and it's so cool to say you were able to watch it evolve. What are some aspects of cruising that you miss from that era? Also, what are some aspects you are thankful for now, that cruising didn't have back then? Since I was born in the 90s, this is a very intriguing subject to me. 

11 hours ago, Cruising Caribbean said:

@FJB Why do you think you gravitated to other cruise lines instead of Holland America Line? You have so much cruise experience! Taking a cruise in 1989 sounds so long ago. I'm sure the industry has changed so much, and it's so cool to say you were able to watch it evolve. What are some aspects of cruising that you miss from that era? Also, what are some aspects you are thankful for now, that cruising didn't have back then? Since I was born in the 90s, this is a very intriguing subject to me. 

I was only 20 when my then GF, now wife, went on that first cruise. Other than the crew, we were the youngest people on the ship. Our 2nd cruise about 6 years later was on Celebrity with a much younger crowd and a newer more modern ship. We enjoyed this experience much more and have since sailed on Celebrity more than all other cruiselines combined. 

What do I miss the most from the early cruises? The midnight buffets, the crew carrying your tray of food for you from the lido buffet to the the table, and the tray of desserts being shown and explained to you in the main dining room each night after finishing the main course. 

Changes I like? Balcony cabins and larger cabins with more thoughtful design, especially in the bathrooms. The quick embarkation is also great, compared to the hours long waits to board the ship in the early years. 

• Like 1

@FJB Thanks for sharing your insight on the significant industry changes that have occurred over the years. It's incredible to say that you were the youngest ones on that first cruise with Holland America Line, and to look back and remember how different cruises were back then! It makes sense that you gravitated toward a more youthful crowd, I bet even the onboard activities were significantly different, with a nightlife that likely attracted the younger generation. 

I happen to remember the tray of desserts being passed around when I was a kid. There was nothing like the experience of getting to visually see your dessert options before your very eyes. It was a kid in a candy store effect for sure. I wasn't accustomed to getting dessert often so getting to admire the desserts on a plate before making my selection was the sight of a queen back then! 

Oh the luxuries of midnight buffets after a late night of fun and unlimited soft serve. I do remember that too. Unlimited soft serve all day, every day. Melting all over the pool deck from improper use.

The embarkation process has definitely improved significantly over the years too, however, during the pandemic I felt the lag for sure.

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas
  • Like 1