Cruise Hive Boards

Port of Boston Adds Facial Biometrics

I love the idea of a quicker security process! I'm pretty sure I have used this before in the Port of Miami. I remember disembarkation taking much less time, and it was way less stressful. Now, the Port of Boston is going to use facial biometrics in its security process. Has anyone else used this during their cruise embarkation/disembarkation process and thoroughly enjoyed its convenience?

@FJB It's definitely a catch twenty-two. I agree at some point this facial recognition service could be used against us, but on the other hand, I love the ease and convenience of facial biometrics. What's nice about this system is that you can opt out of it. For those who feel strongly about this being a violation of your personal privacy, you can choose to be screened on the more traditional route. Have you come across facial biometrics before and chosen against it? This system has also been integrated into the security process at the Port of New Orleans.

@FJB Why do you recommend avoiding full-body scanners? Is it due to radiation or some sort of tracking potential? This is the first I'm hearing of this.  I have heard that there is radiation emitted but it's comparable to or less than one receives flying on an airplane. Facial biometrics is definitely a quicker process, which I appreciate, but I do question its accuracy and validity to some extent. Usually, there is a security personnel present, manning the facial biometrics process to ensure the process is as seamless as possible. 

12 hours ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

@FJB Why do you recommend avoiding full-body scanners? Is it due to radiation or some sort of tracking potential? This is the first I'm hearing of this.  I have heard that there is radiation emitted but it's comparable to or less than one receives flying on an airplane. Facial biometrics is definitely a quicker process, which I appreciate, but I do question its accuracy and validity to some extent. Usually, there is a security personnel present, manning the facial biometrics process to ensure the process is as seamless as possible. 

Full body scanners are very invasive. I try to protect my privacy as much as possible in this technological society we live in.  Our freedoms granted to us in our constitution are very important. 

• Thanks 1

@FJB Thanks for sharing that. With cellular phones and applications being aware of my every move, I almost feel like there is no escaping! Everything is genuinely public knowledge and even creative applications on my phone are aware of my interests and whereabouts through app tracking. My car even notifies me through my phone about the likely routes I would take at certain times of the day and I find that so wild! I would prefer it wasn't this way, but my life has become so dependent on technology, even down to certain music in the car, it's difficult to escape. Technology is invading the cruise industry too with bluetooth tracking through devices such as the Disney + band coming to Disney Cruise Line. If you have ever used this device at the theme park you would realize it's constantly tracking. There isn't even an off button for it.

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas