Cruise Hive Boards

HURRICANES on the way

And now for something completely different (bored with seaweed)….. a PSA:

Per the National Hurricane Center: Every year, the Atlantic hurricane season officially begins on June 1, and ends on November 30. The National Hurricane Center begins issuing its daily tropical outlook on May 15.

AccuWeather projections indicate that the 2023 Atlantic season will be near the historical average with 11 to 15 named storms. Four to eight of those named storms are expected to reach hurricane strength, with one to three of those hurricanes achieving major hurricane status. A major hurricane is one that has maximum sustained winds of 111 mph or higher (CAT 3).

Why yes, it does impact cruise ships, typically ships move soon enough and quickly enough to get out of the way. The season usually peaks around September. Anyone for a cruise?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@kefthecruiser Is it just me or does the hurricane season timeframe keep expanding? I can't believe that the daily tropical lookout begins in May! I hope this year isn't too bad. The non-landlocked states could use a little break from the hurricane devastation. I didn't realize the peak season was in September, but that's good to know when booking a cruise. I think taking out traveler's insurance during these months may be a good idea. There can be way too much uncertainty with mother nature. 

In other news, the future of cruising may have a pretty cool new look. I loved reading this article about the potential aerodynamic cruise ships that look so futuristic! Does anyone else think this looks like a rocket ship on water? 

@3Sisters I think hurricane season has always been 6/1 to 11/30. Typically the season doesn't get really active until August, so people just don't think about it until that first big storm, and then "Hunger Games" start at Home Depot with everyone trying to get plywood and generators. Not that I'm a big gambler, but I usually cruise in September - prices are down and the ships aren't packed. Kiddos are back in school. During Hurricane Ian, I  was actually on a cruise that was sold as Western Caribbean but quickly became Eastern Caribbean! 

@kefthecruiser I love the hurricane prep, "Hunger Games" reference. People do just go wild in terms of clearning the shelves and stocking up during this season. I told my mom to do the same last hurricane season, but as a Florida native, she refused. She ended up living on peanut butter and toast for a few days until the stores reopened. It's nice to have some things, but you don't need them all! It reminds me of the baby wipe and toilet paper shortage. I never thought I would see that day when toilet paper was a prime commodity. I also second booking a cruise in September. The prices are low and you never know what you are going to get. It's a bit of a gamble, but it's a risk I'm willing to take for a good time at a reasonable price!

On 3/30/2023 at 1:22 AM, kefthecruiser said:

And now for something completely different (bored with seaweed)….. a PSA:

Per the National Hurricane Center: Every year, the Atlantic hurricane season officially begins on June 1, and ends on November 30. The National Hurricane Center begins issuing its daily tropical outlook on May 15.

AccuWeather projections indicate that the 2023 Atlantic season will be near the historical average with 11 to 15 named storms. Four to eight of those named storms are expected to reach hurricane strength, with one to three of those hurricanes achieving major hurricane status. A major hurricane is one that has maximum sustained winds of 111 mph or higher (CAT 3).

Why yes, it does impact cruise ships, typically ships move soon enough and quickly enough to get out of the way. The season usually peaks around September. Anyone for a cruise?

We're coming up to another Hurricane season! Feels like the last one not long finished!

• 2 weeks later...

@Yehudit I don't think you can go wrong with either month! I prefer April just because of the weather patterns. April will likely have less rain, although Texas has been suffering from droughts lately so the rain would be a big positive for the area. The Caribbean is usually consistently warm but May is more likely to rain and attract mosquitos, but it's all relative. Which cruise line do you intend to cruise with? Do you want to fly into Houston and then drive to the Port of Galveston?