Carnival Cruise Line's Keeps on Growing

Carnival Cruise Line is definitely staying on top of industry trends. The line is expanding more than its industry competitors by adding another "Carnival Fun Italian Style" ship and the anticipated Carnival Jubilee. Now Carnival Cruise Line has the fastest-growing fleet for this year. Costa Venezia will be renaed to Carnival Venezia. Has anyone cruised on Costa Venezia in the past? I think this rebranded ship is going to be a hit! 

2 hours ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

Costa Venezia was first purposefully built for China, but I'm pretty sure things have changed since.

It is a technically a Vista class ship so its general layout is like the Vista, Panorama and Horizon.     The Costa Firenze is also the same class.

I am curious what they will change/keep the same to bring the Costa 'Italian Style" to this new brand of Carnival and I also wonder is the beginning of a phase out of the Costa brand?

• Like 1

@Woody14 I thought the same! I wonder if Costa Cruises is starting to slowly fade away. One thing I truly loved about my past experience onboard a Costa Cruises ship is the classic style and elegance of the fleet. Something about the cruise line just seemed more exclusive and less crowded. Maybe Carnival Cruise Line is trying to remake some of the less popular ships into something more appealing, and then rebrand Costa Cruises into a more exclusive line. That's a really good thought.

Costa Cruises recently sold off one of its fleet members, Costa Magica to a Greek ferry operator. It was such a bummer the ship never resumed guest operation since pre-pandemic in 2020. 

On 3/15/2023 at 5:53 PM, Woody14 said:

It is a technically a Vista class ship so its general layout is like the Vista, Panorama and Horizon.     The Costa Firenze is also the same class.

I am curious what they will change/keep the same to bring the Costa 'Italian Style" to this new brand of Carnival and I also wonder is the beginning of a phase out of the Costa brand?

@Woody14 Here is a great article with video done by Christine Duffy, Carnival's President which outlines the anticipated changes they will make.  Looks like this will be a really great ship to sail.  We are on it in September out of NYC headed to Canada.  Really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

• Like 2

@RoadTravelled That's a great article! It really gives some insight into the "Carnival Fun Italian Style." I guess another reason to shift some of the Costa Cruises ships into "Carnival Fun Italian Style" is that Carnival Cruise Line ships are usually more popular and populated. Costa Cruises attracts a different crowd, usually less family-friendly. All of the restaurants just sound so delicious.

Another perspective I could see is that Carnival Cruise Line's "Carnival Fun Italian Style" ships may be more Americanized and U.S. dominant, and Costa Cruises may be focusing its brand more exclusively on the European market. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@RoadTravelled Carnival Cruise Line keeps making really wonderful additions throughout its fleet, but it's coming with a price increase. The cruise line keeps raising its prices onboard and guests are starting to take notice. Onboard Wi-Fi, gratuities, and even bottled water prices are on the rise. Do you these slight price increases are going to affect loyal guests?

@Kendall James-Vargas Concerning the price increases. We cruise a few times a year and we have definitely noticed the increase in prices. When you take one individual thing, such as bottled water, it's easy to dismiss it but when you consider the price of everything has gone up it does make a difference. It's not only the cruise portion you have to consider but travel to and from, hotels, meals, all have gone up. As I've stated before I never think of cruising as an inexpensive vacation, we really enjoy it so it won't stop us from going but we may do it less, we'll see. Of course, the cost of operations for the cruise lines has gone up so this is not meant to blame them. 

I keep a pretty good lookout on the cruise prices, especially off season, and it doesn't seem like there are quite as many bargains to be had. This may go away as all the pent up demand I read about goes away...that's what I am telling myself...or lying to myself. 

• Thanks 2

@KeithG I completely agree that overall travel costs are on the rise! The entire hospitality/travel industry was out of commission for a while so now many travel companies are operating at a loss or in debt due to the unexpected loss. Flights are a huge cost to cruising out of a port that isn't drivable. As someone who is cruising quite often, do you think these price increases will have you cruising less or just budgeting differently to get on board as frequently as you can? With the overall costs of flights going up, I'm finding my opportunities for cruising as often are restricted. Instead of cruising 1-3 times a year, I'm finding myself cutting back on most of the additions, such as excursions, in order to get at least one itinerary per year. I hope you are right about the bargains coming back! I'm struggling to find good prices, even when booking out in advance like I usually do. The new ships are being priced higher and higher. Have you noticed that? I remember booking a new ship at more affordable fares before! 

• Thanks 1

@Kendall James-Vargas We drive to the port but of course fuel and everything else is more expensive. 

My attitude is I would rather have 1 great cruise than 2 or 3 marginal cruises, so there is a level I won't go below for cabin, cruise length, etc. That being said, we could easily stick to a regular balcony cabin instead of a suite or Havana section, especially if there are only 2 people going. That doesn't bother me. I actually have been looking harder at the excursion prices too and picking cheaper ones sometimes. On a 3 port cruise I usually do 2 excursions, that depends on who all is with me. 

Plus I'm a working stiff so I only get so much vacation, that keeps me from spending too much on travel. The prices are up but so far not horribly so.  

Also, as you stated, the prices for the new, larger ships tend to be higher due to demand. I'm more than happy to stick to the smaller ships if they have the restaurants and itineraries I like. We have a booking on the Jubilee when it gets to Galveston so we'll see, I might be converted to the larger ships. 

Everything costs more now and sometimes you don't even know what you're getting in the end, at least with a Carnival Cruise I know what I'm getting. 

• Like 2

@KeithG I think sticking to the smaller, not as popular mega-ships, is the way to go. In order to get the best cruise experience it's smart to keep your standards high and remove an annual cruise if necessary to get your desired experience. I like the quality over quantity perspective.

Carnival Cruise Line is snapping back at some of the myths circling the internet recently about changes being made. I'm glad the cruise line has clarified these rumors, particularly the ones about the new VIFP gifts. I'm sure you have heard about the new fanny pack gifts for VIFP members beginning today, April 6. 

@Cruising Caribbean Agree with the quality over quantity. We'll find a way for sure since we still find we get value for our money with a cruise. A lot depends on what you are looking to get out of it too and who is traveling with you. You might want a larger and newer ship for the attractions. For me, a cold beer and an ocean view will do me just fine. 

I did see Carnival responded to some of the rumors, perhaps April Fool's day gags. I think I will stop reading the news on April 1st from now on because with all the things going on in the world it is difficult to tell what is news and what if a joke. 🤣

• Haha 2

@KeithG I'm right there with you! The views, the sun, delicious food, and plenty of drinks are good enough for me. I love just talking to the friendly staff and taking my time. My lifestyle is so fast-paced that cruising with no time constraints is truly luxurious. I never participate in April Fools because I end up begin the fool trying to play a joke or a prank while laughing the whole time. I have the worst poker face. 

CCL doesn't seem to be lacking any sort of demand. The line is expecting its biggest Alaska cruise season to date, despite all of the price increases! I guess Carnival Cruise Line is going to keep on showing up as a top performer this year with all of its new amenities and ships. I'm certainly impressed by the way CCL continues to stay current and switch things up for its guests versus staying mundane. I really think that's why CCL is performing so well because the cruise line isn't afraid to try new things! The three CCL ships cruising Alaska this season will even have new excursion options for its guests. 

• 3 weeks later...

@KeithG Costa Cruises will be sailing some pretty awesome itineraries on Costa Fortuna for summer 2024. I think the cruise line really knows how to create a pretty reasonable total cruise experience. The ship will be sailing to the Greek Island and Turkey, departing from Athens. Costa Fortuna also offers some flight+cruise packages that are a really convenient way to bundle, and potentially save with ease of booking at a one-stop spot. Although the ship isn't a new, mega-ship it's the perfect size and caliber to take you to these majestic destinations in style. Do you enjoy cruising with Costa Cruises?

@3Sisters I've never sailed on Costa, although I wouldn't hesitate if the cost/itinerary was right. 

I was actually just talking about something similar this morning. I mentioned to someone that next time I get to Europe I think I will include a Med cruise of some kind. Get to see more stuff with less hassle. Might have to wait for retirement to allow enough time to do it justice.

• Thanks 1

@KeithG The Costa Cruises itineraries can be pretty unique, visiting really quaint ports of call all over the world. One of the line's popular ships, Costa Fortuna, will be sailing some neat itineraries out of Athens, Greece that will explore Turkey and the Greek islands in 2024. I cruised out of Athens before, so this sort of itinerary sounds like a dream to me! I agree that exploring the Mediterranean and cruising the region deserves extra time spent! You wouldn't want to rush this sort of experience because there really is so much to do and see. I love this article about tips to make a Mediterranean cruise truly unforgettable. It's valuable knowledge to read prior to cruising the region. 

@KeithG I have seen some really affordable repositioning cruises in the Mediterranean. Although it takes more flight coordination, cruising a repositioning itinerary will save you lots of money and explore such unique ports of call! I like that it's a one-way experience because these itineraries take you to more exciting destinations than the loop-style cruises that have to circle back the same way they started. When do you intend to visit Europe next?