Do you take out Vacation Protection?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Wildturkeymama I usually don't take out vacation protection when I cruise, but I do see the value in it. 

@FJBgave a great explanation on when it's a good idea to spend extra on travel insurance. I think some coverage prices are greater than others, which is a whole other factor. I think if its a valuable cruise to you, and the per person coverage is reasonable enough, it's worth purchasing. 

@Wildturkeymama We  do take the insurance offered by Carnival through an outside party, mostly for cancellation issues. 

We actually had to file a claim in October due to a medical issue pre-cruise, Carnival refunded everything they could right away and we had to file a claim with the insurance company for the rest. That has been a nightmare. Every time we call them they tell us, to wait 2 more days because they are really busy. No kidding. 

@KeithG I agree that purchasing the additional insurance option could be beneficial, but typically the cruise lines I have sailed with have always been exceptional with accommodating due to an emergency circumstance. Usually in this sort of event, the cruise line gifts a sort of credit or voucher without the additional traveler's insurance, but you certainly take the risk of the line denying your claim. 

I think of the choice similar to insuring your wedding ring. It truly just depends on how much the cruise is worth to you. If it would be a significant loss, probably best to insure it for peace of mind. 

These are some things that cruise insurance does not cover. https://www.cruisehive.com/what-cruise-insurance-not-cover/17707

@3Sisters Yep, this is another case of personal preference. We have a long drive to get to the cruise port, through a couple of cities where its like a scene from "Thunderdome" and I'm someone who grew up and learned to drive in NYC. 🤣

For us its a relatively small cost compared to the cost of the cruise, I'd rather not take it but we do although we didn't always. For me its more like earthquake insurance. Where I live earthquakes are not an issue but they do happen and because the risk is low the added cost of the insurance is small. 

@KeithG That's too funny! I haven't embarked from New York, but I can only imagine it's chaotic. I would be one of those drivers who is completely clueless and glued to my GPS for direction. It makes sense if the cost is reasonable. I think if I planned a once in a lifetime cruise, I would take it out to be safe. I'm in the phase in life where my cruise bookings are generally on the cheaper, more affordable end, but still a significant cost for me. I do know that its a gamble though, especially with all of the price increases and itinerary changes going on lately. If you can afford it and it's in your budget, I would say better safe than sorry. 

@Wildturkeymama How long is the duration of you upcoming cruise? I would absolutely take out traveler's insurance if the cruise is a long or luxury itinerary. 

I always take out the vacation protection. The one time that I was thinking about not taking it proved to be the time when I actually needed it. I booked a cruise two weeks in advance and thought what could happen. I knew my mother was having minor surgery but said just in case. Unfortunately about 5 days after surgery, my mother passed away and we had her funeral the day that we were supposed to sail. We were able to get a refund and rebook for the following spring.  We ended up enjoying a nice room overlooking Niagara Falls since my then wife and I had the vacation time already and we lived about a 4 hour drive away which saved us from having to find a last minute flight somewhere to celebrate our anniversary. That was 10 years ago this upcoming December and I have never turned down vacation protection since.

@GuruoftravelThanks for your feedback! This sort of commentary makes me think my decision to decline vacation protection is a poor one. I believe medical emergencies are usually accommodated for by the cruise lines when it's for a cruise guest, but in an instance like this, it's a family emergency unrelated to the health of the cruise passenger. It's tragic to hear your mother passed in such an unexpected way. I'm sorry to hear of this sad circumstance. It's really nice that you had the vacation protection; you were able to rebook and cruise at a more convenient time. Cruising while mourning wouldn't make for the best possible experience. 

I have visited Niagara Falls in the winter time! It was amazingly gorgeous, and more affordable, in the wintertime. That's really convenient you lived only 4 hours out. What was your closest cruise port? I noticed Port Colborne in Ontario is near Niagara Falls. After an instance like this, I would imagine vacation protection is a must! 

@Guruoftravel It sounds like vacation protection is a must have! I found this to be a great read. https://www.cruisehive.com/how-to-enjoy-a-cruise-vacation-in-uncertain-times/75214

The last few years of cruising have been so up in the air. Many cruise lines were actually highly recommending the cruise protection packages because it was so inconsistent. I definitely think the cruise industry is on the up now, but it's better to be safe. It's all about perspective; sometimes you just have to roll with the punches and keep a positive attitude. Especially when checking in at the port; the check in process can require some serious patience!