Cruise Hive Boards

Ocho Rios

Jen K.

We will be stopping in Ocho Rios on our next cruise in February with another couple. We are two pretty active couples in our 40s and will have our own snorkel gear with us. Do you have to do tours to go to the Blue Hole or to Dunn's River Falls? Can you just grab a taxi at port to go to a good beach for snorkeling and food/drink? Can you hike in the jungle at all or is it recommended to stay in a tour? Any thoughts are helpful. Appreciate the time. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/21/2023 at 9:40 AM, Jen K. said:

We will be stopping in Ocho Rios on our next cruise in February with another couple. We are two pretty active couples in our 40s and will have our own snorkel gear with us. Do you have to do tours to go to the Blue Hole or to Dunn's River Falls? Can you just grab a taxi at port to go to a good beach for snorkeling and food/drink? Can you hike in the jungle at all or is it recommended to stay in a tour? Any thoughts are helpful. Appreciate the time. 

I do know you can do Dunn’s River Falls without being on a tour but can’t speak to the Blue Hole. And yes you can just get a taxi to take you where you want, though based on the news coming out of Jamaica for the last year or 2, I would hesitate doing anything that wasn’t part of a group. 

@Jen K. You are going to have a great time! I have heard the same for Dunn's River Falls. It's pretty well known; so you should be able to just hop in a taxi, and they will take you where you need to be. I personally would feel more confident going on a jungle tour with a guide. The perk of booking an excursion through the cruise line is in an event something happens, prolonging your time, the cruise line will wait for your return.