Cruise Hive Boards

Beverage Increases

Not that I watch these shows but I used to see a few but they were all infuriating. What would bug me to despair was they would put really bad acts in because they believed that the person's look or attitude would sell rather than their talent. I remember years back on some talent show, there was a "singer" Frankie Cocozza, a UK act. I've never in my life seen or heard a worst singer. He was terrible. Just because he had the bad boy look, the rock and roll clothing, they kept putting him through in the expense of others, that really were good. 

• Thanks 1

@LukeJ There is no sense in watching something you don't enjoy. This may come as a surprise, but I actually don't watch television. I also don't understand why people love watching television while on a cruise. There are so many other better things to do! You can watch television any day! It makes no sense to me. Do you watch television while on a cruise?

The fact that you remember that singers name is horrible. Usually you only remember the good people's names, not the bad ones. Poor Frankie Cocozza. That's sad.

image.thumb.png.81ad7c382e2cbbf9efbb9dc3a7fcdbf9.png

If I'm completely honest, I couldn't remember his name. I remember Frankie, but the advantage of Google helped me ha ha. I'm sure people like him when they have money and fame couldn't care less what people like me think of them. I guess I'd be the same really.

• Haha 1

@LukeJ Well, thank you Google. It's pretty nice to have that resource, accessibility to everything at your fingertips. It's hard to think of life without it anymore! I rely so heavily on my phone during the day. If I'm begin honest, I don't even have to think when I drive. My phone becomes my brain. Even if you are bad, I guess the biggest perk is just the publicity alone. Getting your face and name out to hundreds of thousands of people at a time is a huge deal, even if you suck. 

Google and search engines in general have to be the best invention ever. Oh it's a god send, it really is. To have whatever information you need at the speed of light is truly amazing. My grandfather used to own encyclopedias and I'd spend hours just reading general information. Now it's just all at hand. Driving is easier too now, where in the older days, you'd study maps and plot your route, now type in the postcode and follow the way.

Edited by LukeJ
  • Like 1

@LukeJ I'm laughing at encyclopedias! Do you remember how well used those were? I also remember the good old atlas! Those were in every car. My family took road trips and heavily relied on those. Now I don't have an atlas in my car or an encyclopedia in my home. I can't imagine how we have got to this point of letting technology dictate our minds. Even my kids ask OK Google what time it is or how to do math problems. I unplug that thing for weeks at a time because it drives me crazy. I want my kids to think for themselves. Remembering phone numbers is a chore! When I was a kid, I knew addresses and phone numbers off the top of my head without a challenge. Things have changed. 

• Like 1

@3Sisters I remember that vividly. Honestly, I'd spend hours on them. My task if I remember was to try and remember every single thing that was in there ha ha. Sufficient to say, it didn't work. There is no need now thanks to Google and such. I agree that we would like our children to think for themselves otherwise they will be heavily reliant on technology, but I can also see their argument of why the need to think because of the advancement of technology. As I've stated before with my role in the schools, believe me when I say it, the children today are absolutely bone idle. I was shocked when I started working there, they simply don't want to do anything. 

• Like 2

@LukeJ It sounds like you are reminiscing those good old days! It was nice to have to struggle every now and again to get somewhere. Everything is at our fingertips now. If there is a power outage everyone is so lost. Even just for entertainment sometimes it's just crazy. No one knows how to be bored anymore! Cruises are so interactive now. They have to meet that instant gratification mentality with and/or without wifi. There is always something to do onboard a cruise ship! 

• 2 weeks later...

Very true, there is no chance for boredom, even though I do hear those words regularly. Everything you need is definitely at your fingertips, be it games, education, even switching off lights. I never thought we would embrace switching on things just by not moving ha ha. 

@LukeJ I'm glad to hear about your cruise. Kids can get bored at the drop of a hat! That's too funny about the lights. It sounds like P&O Cruises is doing it right. What are some things you think CCL could integrate to become more like P&O Cruises? I guess for one, maybe P&O Cruises could integrate into the US cruise market. Did you get to experience any of the adults-only spaces onboard like the spa/thermal suites? Is there anything unique to the line that really stood out to you?

Yes I agree that maybe that P&O could integrate into the US market. I know there are sailings to the Caribbean and things, however they seem happy with what they're doing. We didn't get an opportunity to try out the adults only spaces because our son refused to go to the kids club, for whatever reason he decided, so we weren't going to force him. 

@LukeJIntegrating into the US market would be much more accessible for me, but probably not what's best for the line. P&O Cruises has a good thing going for them! I don't thinks that's a necessary expansion for the line at this time. The line actually just announced a partnership with an airline to create Caribbean travel packages. These fly-cruise packages seem to make lots of sense. I haven't looked into prices, but typically when bought like this, the overall price ends up being pretty good. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ I have recently booked a P&O cruise for next year to Northern Europe. I'm looking forward to it as I haven't been on a cruise for such a long time. I read some of your comments regarding Norwegian Fjords and it looks and sounds amazing. I'm expecting similar trips myself in the future.

• Like 1

@PaulB you will love every minute of it, believe me. The whole P&O experience to me was wonderful. I won't have anyone say a bad word about the cruise line. The food was outstanding, don't think I even came close to having a bad meal. The drinks were also a delight. The crew were attentive and friendly and the acts were of a high quality. The ports themselves were breathtaking, such views and serenity. My advice would be to go out and get a balcony, as you can appreciate them even more from your room as you come into port.

• Like 1

@LukeJ You can't go wrong with the drinks! Bartenders onboard are super knowledgeable. They work at the bars nonstop with super picky customers so I would say they are very skilled in comparison to other restaurants/bartenders. I love to hear all the positive feedback. Did your P&O Cruises ship happen to do themed nights onboard? If so, did you participate in any of them? I love when the theme matches the evening MDR menu! You know you are getting old when your birth year becomes a theme. I started recognizing 90's nights onboard cruises. It's quite devastating.

• Like 1

@3Sisters yes the bartenders were excellent in fairness. Nothing was too much trouble for them. That's all you ask for when you go out really. I don't think a theme night was an option onboard, other than the black tie event second night in. Gave me a chance to get dressed up like James Bond, well at least I thought I did. I liked the fact that people would dress for the occasion. It always baffles me when people refuse to do so, and then argue that they can't get into the restaurants.

• Like 1

@LukeJ I'm glad you feel the same. Also the bartenders on cruises are friendly! Typically restaurant bar tenders are dry and rude, not always pleasant. If you ask a cruise bartender to make you a mocktail x,y,z ingredients, they gladly will. If you ask a bartender on land, they always seem frustrated and annoyed, like you are wasting their time. I love chatting it up with the bartenders onboard when they aren't so busy. I will avoid a busy bar just to have a more chill experience. I saw this article about Crocs in the MDR on formal night. That's a pass for me. If you want to wear flip flops on formal night, it's best to go to the buffet. I'm sure you did look like James Bond! What's most important is that you felt James Bond confidence. That's next level!

• Like 1

@3Sisters yes I do agree with the bar tenders in restaurants. Working in that industry, I can definitely confirm that everything is a hinderance to them, you're stopping them from getting paid to chat to their friends, how could you? Yes I liked to chill in a quieter bar onboard too, it was nice to chill and not fight your way to the bar and have somewhere to sit. I did feel like James Bond, and even had a cocktail to really feel like him. I know it's supposed to be dry martini, but I don't like that so a Pina Colada did instead. And I took the girl home at the end of the night too. Ok it was my wife but still. 

• Like 1

@LukeJ That's funny. I feel like certain places are better than others when it comes to bar service. The regular bar or pub typically has pretty dry bar service. You can either order from the menu or don't order at all. The staff doesn't want to come up with anything else and you can tell that by their attitude. On cruise ships, the staff is excited to do something new with a smile. It's like a 360 degree different approach. The slower paced, tucked away bars are the best. My husband would get me a cappuccino every morning from a slow outdoor bar around 7am and it was the best cappuccino onboard! That was the best way to wake up on vacation. Pina colada is a vacation drink! I'm not sure why people think that way about "girl" drinks. I only like red wine, nothing else, so I don't fit the mold either.

@3Sisters my family thought it was funny that most photos of me and my wife, I had a cocktail in my hand. I don't think I've ever had a cocktail before, but as you say we are on vacation and it's time we tried something new. I also had photos of a proper drink in my hand just to "man" it up as well. You never think about having cocktails at restaurants at home really, its never thought about. And saying that, the prices would be nearly double of that on the ships.

• Thanks 1

What I found on ships is that the prices of drink are not as expensive as I first feared. The prices are not that far off prices in my local pub or restaurant. Some of the drinks were in fact cheaper. Combine that with the free food, it's the best way to vacation for sure.

• Like 1

Compared to any other restaurant, the drink prices are quite similar! If you were to make your own drinks at home, the prices would be cheaper. You can't compare those at home prices to going out prices. You are paying a convenience fee. Also, you don't need more than a couple alcoholic beverages a day. If you are drinking over five, you have to assume a very hefty bar tab. It all depends on your drinking habits really. The beverage packages are most lucrative when you are a heavy drinker. Otherwise, purchasing a few drinks here and there isn't a big deal! Like you said, pretty much everything else food wise is included! 

• 3 weeks later...

And not only that, whatever you get at home never tastes the same as in restaurants or bars. Obviously shorts and wines do, but if you were to have a cocktail or a beer, it's fine just quite not the same though what you get out. 

• Like 1

I agree with that too. Being in a social setting changes the game, even for a glass of wine. Also, I don't buy fine wines for home and I save those drinks for going out. It's certainly cheaper to be home, but for an occasion it's good to go out. I love the excuse just to get dressed up! Typically I'm more casual when I drink at home too. Cruises are great for this. Great drinks, great service, and I get to dress up! 

You can't forget that you are paying for a service! The service and not having to clean your glass wear is all apart of the experience. The prices aren't ridiculous in comparison to places like Atlantis or a super high end hotel. Paying $8 for a glass of wine or $7 for a beer is just standard. The cruise lines have to generate a little bit of money off the experience anyhow! Yes, the prices have gone up, but the cost of the products may be on the rise too. 

• Like 1