Lobster Charge

I am virtually Cruising the whole month of December on Royal Caribbean. From the 4th to 18th December I am on a 15day cruise and from the 23rd to 30th December I am on an 8days Cruise. I am Disappointed that Royal Caribbean wants to charge cruisers for more than one lobster. If I knew that before I booked and paid for my cruise I would have booked on another Cruise Line that don't have Lobster restrictions. I understand lobster might be more expensive and somewhat scare but I believe the guests should be allowed 2 or 3 free Lobsters and any extras should incur a $10 or $15 charge. That's the reason people go on Cruises to eat the Exotic and Free foods. Not to be charged for it. I know the cruise lines Suffered Terribly in the Pandemic but extra charges and limitations are not the way to go. 

Disappointed Cruiser 😞 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am very disappointed with Royal for making making this change.  Although the last cruise I was on in September the lobster was so overcooked it was practically inedible, let alone tiny. If the Maine lobsters are larger then one would be enough.  I would not spend an additional $17 for another.  

• Like 1

Recently was on Harmony of the Seas in early November and can confirm they are NOT tails. They butterfly the lobster down the spine, and give you half the lobster (zero tail). This was lackluster to say the least, not only was it tiny in size - there was one fork of edible meat. Not worth it for even one if you ask me (unless they actually start giving the tails)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 5:38 PM, nick said:

Recently was on Harmony of the Seas in early November and can confirm they are NOT tails. They butterfly the lobster down the spine, and give you half the lobster (zero tail). This was lackluster to say the least, not only was it tiny in size - there was one fork of edible meat. Not worth it for even one if you ask me (unless they actually start giving the tails)

Hey @nick, One fork of edible meat! That's not worth it for sure. I'll have to keep an eye out on what is going on with other Royal Caribbean vessels.

• 2 weeks later...

@Raymond In order to recoup some of the loss of profit during the shut-down, cruise line's have attempted to become more financially efficient in order to stay afloat. I think this limitation on food is just one of the ways Royal Caribbean has chosen to cut back. It's a bummer you were affected by this change.  Hopefully the cruise line regains its momentum and brings back some of its lobster offerings!

I don’t get the complaints about charging for an extra lobster tail. Do you go to your local restaurant and expect an extra one for free? Yeah I can ask for more bread at no additional charge but I’m not getting another filet or tail for free. 

1 hour ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

@FJB I see your point here. I guess I haven't encountered this issue because I get so full after all of the other courses. I don't think I would ever catch myself asking for another. The bread and butter in the main dining room usually gets me filled up before the appetizers. It's my favorite part of any meal!

Omg - I love bread and butter and always eat too much before my meal arrives!  Celebrity has some great breadsticks to boot. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

@FJB At least I'm not the only one. I haven't tried Celebrity Cruises' breadsticks! If they are anything like Olive Garden's breadsticks, then I may need to solidify a booking. 

You may be disappointed then. These are the skinny hard breadsticks, not the larger soft ones. 

3 hours ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

@FJB To come full circle, I actually like those crunchy biscuits for my lobster bisque. I guess you can always order unlimited lobster bisque to save some money in the main dining room. It's not a lobster tail, but it is a way to get more lobster! 

Lol that’s the attitude to have - when life takes away your lobster tails, eat more lobster bisque! 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 10:56 PM, Raymond said:

I am virtually Cruising the whole month of December on Royal Caribbean. From the 4th to 18th December I am on a 15day cruise and from the 23rd to 30th December I am on an 8days Cruise. I am Disappointed that Royal Caribbean wants to charge cruisers for more than one lobster. If I knew that before I booked and paid for my cruise I would have booked on another Cruise Line that don't have Lobster restrictions. I understand lobster might be more expensive and somewhat scare but I believe the guests should be allowed 2 or 3 free Lobsters and any extras should incur a $10 or $15 charge. That's the reason people go on Cruises to eat the Exotic and Free foods. Not to be charged for it. I know the cruise lines Suffered Terribly in the Pandemic but extra charges and limitations are not the way to go. 

Disappointed Cruiser 😞 

You don’t seem to understand the RC business model. You get core services for the base fare and are Nicole and dimmed for everything else. It is what it is. The base fares are economical so you shouldn’t expect any free lobster or alcohol. The good thing is their food is good and they have excellent free fish selections in the main dining room that are prepared very well.