Cruise Hive Boards

Pre-cruise testing cancelled, EXCEPT...

Starting Sept 6, covid pre-test not required on cruises less than 16 days if fully vaccinated. Great! However, most Alaska cruises dock at Victoria Island. Canada (the ONLY Canadian port) for 4 hrs, 8PM-midnight, which changes everything. We still have to pre-test. Even though most people have no plans to get off the ship that late,  to do what??? We should have the option to not pre-test, and if not, cannot disembark at Victoria. I find this stop rather a useless option/port. Not sure why they even put it on the itinerary, unless the need fuel....

Castro Trudeau is going to hold on to his new found power as long as he can.

Any cruise ship leaving from and returning To an American port must make at least one port stop in a foreign country, hence the reason for the stop at a Canadian port on all Alaskan cruises. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Starting Sept 6, covid pre-test not required on cruises less than 16 days if fully vaccinated. Great! However, most Alaska cruises dock at Victoria Island. Canada (the ONLY Canadian port) for 4 hrs, 8PM-midnight, which changes everything. We still have to pre-test. Even though most people have no plans to get off the ship that late,  to do what??? We should have the option to not pre-test, and if not, cannot disembark at Victoria. I find this stop rather a useless option/port. Not sure why they even put it on the itinerary, unless the need fuel....

The reason for the stop in Victoria, Canada is because of the requirements of the Passenger Vessel Services Act.  You can find a good article about this by clicking here.  Bottom-line, since the ship is foreign-flagged, it must make a stop in a foreign country before returning to a US port or be heavily fined.  In May, we did an Alaska round-trip from Seattle cruise and stopped here.  We were delayed getting into port so only had about 3 hours to visit.  We still got off and did a quick view of the city at night and went to a great Irish pub and then rushed back to the ship.  Not ideal but we made the most of it.

• Like 2

I would not mind disembarking for a few hours in Victoria.  I think that is the whole point of traveling, you know to experience.  The inconvenience of testing is already a given, traveling during this time.  I'd probably go for a walk around, then some coffee, and try their local beer.  I am pretty sure id be searching for the closest attraction I could find.   That should be 3-4 hours.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that the Vaccine Free folk still need to be tested prior to sailing.  What good this does in regards to the health and safety of those on-board the ship baffles me. As we all know, even the fully dosed and fully boosted can still be carrying the 'lurgy' and pass it on, so why insist that only some passengers need the test? Never mind....if that's all I have to do so that I can cruise again, I'll put up with that nonsense! Happy Days! 😎

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...