Cruise Hive Boards

MSC Itinerary Changes Due to Hurricane Milton

Emrys

Many lines have started announcing cruise changes a bit later than I expected. I will anticipate more as port closures are announced. This is all so unfortunate timing coming right after devastating Hurricane Helene! Thanks for sharing this link for us to follow along. It was just a week or two ago that MSC Seascape had to reroute to get out of Helene's way. 

It is such a shame I agree that all these itinerary changes from constant hurricanes. It seemed only a week or so we had Helena, and now Milton is here. Is there another devastating hurricane on its way in a few weeks I wonder.

I'm thinking of all of those that will be impacted by Hurricane Milton. This is going to be a monster of storm, flooding so much of the west coast of Florida. I'm keeping my eyes on the ships coming in and out of Tampa. I do think the Tampa port will be closed for longer than expected. The area is expected to see so much flooding. This article was released yesterday with good MSC Cruises updates.

https://www.cruisehive.com/msc-cruises-provides-hurricane-milton-update-ships-affected/147006

Looks like MSC Cruises has decided to cancel MSC Seashore's October 10 departure out of Port Canaveral. Here's what the cruise line said:

Departure Thursday, 10/10/2024 – 3-Night Sailing  This sailing is now cancelled; a full refund will be issued. In consultation with the U.S. Coast Guard and Port Authorities, and due to the uncertainty of the reopening of Port Canaveral, we have made the difficult decision to cancel this sailing. For more detailed information, please refer to the communication shared by MSC Cruises and your travel advisor.

• Sad 1

@Emrys That's such a shame! Everyone who had booked flights beforehand may now be scrambling to figure out what to do. Since this itinerary is a short 3-day one, I understand why MSC Cruises decided to cancel it due to the uncertainty of the port and its surrounding areas. I do think Port Canaveral will be opening back up relatively soon as the eye crosses into the Atlantic as I'm writing this. Thankfully I don't think Port Canaveral got hit too hard this go. One thing that surprised me were all of the tornados. Hurricane Milton caused so many tornados, unlike many of the other hurricanes I have lived through.  

Yes it really is a shame that people have to alter their plans because of Milton. When we book cruises, there are plans ahead. If you knew in advance of changes, you could prepare yourself, but when things are out of your control, it can be devastating especially if you booked that cruise especially for a certain port of calls.