Cruise Hive Boards

Wifi at Sea

3Sisters

I plan to get wifi for half of my upcoming cruise. Is it cheaper to get a few day passes or is it best just to pay for the duration of the cruise? I also wonder if the speed will be fast enough while far out in the middle of the ocean. This will be my first time cruising while working, and I want the service to be fast. Does anyone know if MSC Divina has Starlink yet?

image.png.050d2798b5610a7d1c6ca679828b7499.png

WIFI at sea has improved over what it used to be before Starlink.  However, don't expect it to work as well as your Internet at home.  Most cruise lines have APPs that inform you about what's happening on the ship.  You'll probably need the MSC APP to connect to WIFI.

I've had problems on past cruises getting the ship's APP loaded and working.  There will likely be a technician on the ship who will assist with loading the APP and showing you how to connect to WIFI.  A lot of passengers have APP and WIFI problems on ships and the line to get help is long on the first few days.  I recommend asking at Guest Services about the technician and where he/she is located.  Go early to avoid a long line.

Here's some info from Google:  The official MSC for Me app works alongside other digital channels onboard to ensure you have the information you need at your fingertips. Plus, the app is free and even on board you will not need to purchase any internet package in order to use it.

More from Google: As of February 2024, two-thirds of MSC Cruises' ships have Starlink, including the MSC Divina.  

I suggest only buying a day or two or the minimum data package.  If you like how it works, you can purchase more time. 

Good luck on using WIFI on your upcoming cruise.  Let us know how it worked.

• Thanks 1

@RichardSchwake Thank you for this information. I definitely think the app can be glitchy. For a cruise that goes so far out from land, I'm thinking even with Starlink it may be spotty. I have always taken shorter cruises so this transatlantic one will be very unique to me. I really hope the ship I'm going on is one of the two-thirds of the fleet that has Starlink. It's hard to say which ships have it and which ships don't! By the time I cruise out in 2026, I bet the entire fleet should have it rolled out. I'm staying hopeful of that! 

I'm assuming that despite the rave reviews of Starlink, it must still struggle to get the internet service that we are used to surely. Being in the middle of the sea would definitely play a part to the glitches that follow. I myself never have my phone on, I put it away in the safe, and enjoy my vacation. However I do appreciate why people still need to keep in touch for various reasons, and I'm guessing Starlink is the best you can ask for.

• Like 1

@RichardSchwake Thanks for that. Have you been on a transatlantic cruise before? I would imagine the service is spotty out in the middle of the ocean. Maybe good sometimes but not all of the time. I would see if others have tried to work out in the middle of the Atlantic ocean and see how it was for them. I agree with @LukeJ here. Starlink would be your nest choice, but it still may not be very good so far out. 

Personally if Starlink was for work purposes, I would definitely put my stuff away. I'm there on vacation, not to look up emails and work. I put time aside for my family, and that's where my attentions goes. I'm self employed and if I don't get work in, I don't get paid, however I try to get as much work in as possible, and let people know that I'm away for the week and will get back in touch once my vacation is up.

• Like 1

Only time will tell if the Starlink does it's job well. I can't see it being much of a problem, maybe unless if there is a bad storm on the horizon that could possibly affect it. But saying that, if you're in a bad storm, I doubt that you'd want to be online in the first place.