More at Sea

Did anyone ever use NCL's Free at Sea Program? I looked into booking an NCL Free at Sea package, but the prices weren't that great to me. For those of you who have booked with the Free at Sea program, do you think it's a good deal? Now Norwegian Cruise Line is changing it's Free at Sea offering to a More at Sea offering. I'm curious if the prices will be better with this More at Sea program. The More at Sea program surely encompasses "more" included perks but will the cost be more too? I'm thinking More at Sea will be more money for guests. Any thoughts?

image.thumb.png.75ff08a54442ea864736b7432495c3da.png

My wife and I have booked several NCL cruises with the Free at Sea perks.  The perks were one of the main reasons we booked with NCL.  We like the "one flies free" with Free at Sea.  We booked cruises to Europe where our combined airfare was half of what we'd pay with other cruise lines.  We also liked the WIFI, Specialty Restaurant and tour discount perks.  

I've briefly compared Free at Sea with More at Sea perks and don't see much difference.  We like that passengers who booked prior to Oct. 1, 2024, will get both their current Free At Sea benefits plus the new More At Sea beverage package at no additional cost. With the new Starlink satellite hookup, we expect improved Internet and email speeds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@RichardSchwake It's pretty awesome that you were able to find so much savings in the Free at Sea offering. NCL is a really strong line, and this booking type seems like a good money saver. Thanks for sharing your perspective. I didn't realize that those booked before Oct. 1, 2024 will get those extra savings! You really lucked out with that one. It sounds like you will get to know the differences pretty soon on your upcoming cruise. Speaking of, when is your upcoming NCL cruise? 

NCL has now told us (via phone and letter) that even though we booked and paid in full BEFORE Oct 1st for a Jan-Feb 2025 cruise that the Free At Sea will NOT be honored and we are required to switch to More At Sea and NCL will refund any difference. Seems as if they are ignoring the spirit of previous contracts and are using the fine print to say NCL can switch you even if you did everything you needed to do based on their prior advertising when booking and paying. Disappointed in NCL's inability to fully grandfather in those who booked and paid prior to Oct 1st not to mention Platinum status. Hypothesis - It is likely the case that NCL IT department did not want to program in grandfathered bookings with Free At Sea.

• Thanks 1

@Alaska That sounds to be in total opposition to what @RichardSchwake stated. I was under the impression you could qualify for those More at Sea perks for no additional charge. I thought you would bee grandfathered in too! When you say refunded, do you mean you will have to pay the additional for the More at Sea program? I'm assuming NCL isn't charging you any more than what you paid for. Now that you won't qualify for the Free at Sea promotion, will you be loosing out on any perks? I was under the impression that the More at Sea perks were superior to the Free at Sea perks!

To make a long story short... 3 phone calls with NCL, getting a letter from NCL, reading various stories online about the NCL change, and comments on Cruise Hive have been full of contradictory messages by NCL. We are 100% sure NCL has told us we don't get BOTH Free At Sea and More At Sea. NCL converted us to the More At Sea rules even though we booked and paid by Oct 1 for a Jan-Feb 2025 cruise. The $$ difference between Free At Sea and More At Sea is refunded to us and if we want to use that refund to get the level of items missing in More At Sea when compared to Free At Sea, then we can.

My wife's research of this conversion was detailed and my takeaway from her summary was that unlimited wi-fi and getting to Starbucks's for coffee and de-cafe tea with an alcohol drink for her here and there onboard (I don't drink) just got really expensive for us with the change.

Putting the plan differences aside, she observed the various NCL reps she spoke with seemed fuzzy on all the details about this plan change. This is not a comment on the reps but is a comment on the training by mgt of the reps. What the reps first told her was NOT reflected in our NCL booking reservation and that is what led to the additional calls to NCL and ultimately the final answer that we she has now had reaffirmed by more calls with NCL.

The core confusion looking back on all this was NCL not simply telling us that regardless of when you booked in 2024 and regardless of when you paid in 2024, you are converted to the new plan because the cruise is in 2025. 

It is what it is.

• Thanks 1

@Alaska Thanks for sharing! It's very bizarre that it's contradicting to all others on the boards. If I were you I would submit a complaint via email to NCL. I think it's necessary that NCL follows through with its initial policy. Take a look at the policies and conditions page for NCL's More at Sea promotion.

https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions

This will give you greater insight to substantiate your claim.