How Do You Tip?

Tootie

We have done things a little different on occasion. Mostly, we have tipped our steward and assistant in person. But we do other things too. The most recent was to spell out "Thank You" in peanut butter cups and a $100 dollar bill below the cups. It happened that I had to go back to my cabin to retrieve a cigar lighter I had forgotten. It was rewarding in 2 ways: I retrieved my lighter from our steward and got a hug and a thank you for the candy and the tip. I won't hesitate to do something similar in the future.

• Like 1

I learned new words today! "Virtue Signaling"  I didn't know there was such a thing. Honestly, would the cabin steward be upset if they walked in on a display like that, probably not...  Regardless if someone was doing it for self accolades, the cabin steward benefits. Plus, it could help others realize how important taking of your cabin steward really is... Why does someone have to have a negative opinion about a good thing happening to someone else. Only one who has the right to complain is the cabin steward! Thing is the cabin steward displays towel animals for us. This could have been an attempt to show some creativity from a grateful guess! You can keep your negativity off my cruise, I welcome those that are appreciative of the service and sacrifice made by each member of their cruise! 

• Like 1

@Tootie I love this story! First off you are an awesome cruise guest. Secondly, I love how thoughtful you are. Those little things are so important to the cruise crew. Your kindness counts and makes a difference. More cruisers should do things like this for the staff!

@S. Williams I completely agree! All cruise guests should show appreciation to their cruise crew. Without them, your cruise wouldn't exist. Showing gratitude is so important. Do unto others is a motto I stand by! If you were in their shoes, you would want the same in return.

For many years now, we have taken bags of candy (M&Ms, Reese’s PB cups, Hershey miniatures, etc) to give to our favorite bartenders, cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter, and sommelier.  A bag of candy and cash in addition to the pre-paid tips is always appreciated.   

• Like 1

@FJB A little gesture goes a long way! It just makes the job sweeter (no pun intended). Let's not forget that the cash tips go straight to them! No sharing or tax deductions included with an unexpected cash tip. When you get a cash tip it's all for you! Many of the crew members send money home to their families. It's so appreciated when you get cash straight to your pocket that's unaccounted for! 

@Tootie That's awesome! Tipping extra is the way to go if you can. Personally, I think if you can't afford to tip a bit extra to those who stand out it may not be worth cruising. I love the idea of tipping those who are exceptional! I tipped a bathroom attendant on my last cruise and she nearly cried! That bathroom always had a line and I took my kids every evening in the middle of dinner and it was spotless. She even helped one of them wash their hands and handed them paper towels because they couldn't reach. That's someone that stands out and goes above and beyond for their job. It shouldn't go unrecognized!