Cruise Hive Boards

New England/Canada cruise

thorpemarlene

My wife and I cruise a lot but this will be our first Princess cruise and we booked it for Sept 23. 2026.  We just finished this nearly identical cruise on Norwegian and loved it so much we couldn't help ourselves when we say this cruise was the best we have ever taken.  This looks like a fantastic cruise which spans 10 days, leaves Boston, visits Portland, St Johns (Bay of Fundy), Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, Sigourney and ends in Quebec City with an overnight.  This itinerary is outstanding. You should see the most brilliant foliage, the Sigourney River which is off the St Lawrence is a fjord that runs about 50 miles approx. is beautiful. We saw a whale while other people saw multiples. In Halifax i would recommend going to the small fishing village of Peggys Cove with its lighthouse, the best lobster rolls ever, and the rock bound coast. Portland, Maine is a must visit going to the Portland Head Light. If you like mussels, in Sydney its the best and at Charlottetown, known for Anne of Green Gables fame is a great place to visit. The trip ends in Quebec City which is like going to Paris on a smaller scale.  We cruise a lot and this was an incredible journey, we highly recommend it. If you have never been to New England/Canada i would suggest going near the end of Sept up until the middle of Oct. to see the foliage. It should be at its peak during this short season. Should you decide to extend your trip after it ends in Quebec, here is a suggestion:  rent a car and travel down through Maine, NH, Ma and end up in Boston, this is very cost effective at you can rent a car for as little as 50.00 per day.  You can easily reach Portland Maine in 5 hrs or Boston in 8 driving straight but make it a 2-3 day trip if you can. You won't regret it.

Edited by thorpemarlene
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@thorpemarlene It's hard to top a best ever cruise! So many new cruisers choose the Caribbean as their first cruise, but I think trying a fjord itinerary would be epic. I love that you shared so many details about this itinerary. It make me want to book onboard your upcoming sailing. The time of year as you mentioned is super important. You hit the jackpot with the beautiful fall feel! If I took this cruise I would definitely try for late September. It's the best gate kept secret! What made you choose Princess Cruises this time around?

@Bill Hinton That's right around the corner! You are getting that optimal weather and fall color time of year too. The scenery is going to be amazing just like @thorpemarlene's cruise. I have a question about the pools. Were they warm? I know that time of year gets cooler, and if the pools aren't heated it would probably be too chilly to get in. On your NCL cruise was there a warmer indoor pool option? Swimming is an activity I really enjoy on a cruise. If it was too cool to swim I would be bothered.

• 3 weeks later...

Bill Hinton, as far as the rental car from Quebec goes,  on our Norwegian Cruise we flew from Quebec back, what we want to do in 2026 was rent a car and drive back to Portland, but I did not ask if we could or not.  I think I need to call someone for sure on this, thanks for the warning.