Saguenay Fjord, Don't underestimate this beautiful waterway!!

On our recent cruise from Boston to Quebec, one of the most beautiful places we cruised was up the Saguenay Fjord, which we did not realize how beautiful it was until we went on this 50 mile (give or take) journey to the city of Saguenay.  We saw Whales and beautiful waterfalls and steep cliffs.  At first we thought we had taken a detour to Norway and its fjords by mistakes.  When we booked this cruise Boston, Bar Harbor,Halifax,Sydney,Charlottetown,Saguenay and Quebec we really did not understand what was there and its beauty.  We are already talking about another trip in a couple of years.  We have been on a lot of cruises but have never been so welcomed at the small cruise port as we were there, i will not tell you how we were welcomed because i do not want to spoil the surprise. My only tip is if you are going for the foliage, go from the last week of Sept through the middle of October.  I am from Maine so I know when this small season is. We went the beginning of Sept. because we knew it would be a little warmer, calmer seas, and it was.  GO on this trip and you will not be disappointed, one last tip, in Halifax, go to Peggy's Cove, it has the wow factor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@thorpemarlene Thanks for this information! I have heard wonderful things about the fjords in the past and I would certainly consider the Saguenay Fjord. Did you have a balcony stateroom? I have read that cruising this itinerary with a balcony stateroom is a must because you can see the scenery right from your room! I typically cruise interior to keep my cruises lower priced but this itinerary is worth the additional charge! I would absolutely do the fall time of year. Thanks for confirming the best time of year to take this itinerary. Tell me more about Peggy's Cove. What is this experience? I love the fall scenery, and I wouldn't want to miss it! 

The fjord which is off the St Lawrence river runs about 50 miles. The fjord is very deep and the whales during sept. and oct. travel up it. I saw one whale going up and i know of a couple of people who saw multiple.  The scenery is beautiful. We loved this cruise so much we just rebooked another one in the fall of 2026 on Princess, who had a good deal with 40% off. Its a 10 day cruise. We booked a balcony again with the total cost running under 5k leaving Boston, stops in Portland Maine, St Johns (Bay of Fundy), Halifax (Peggys Cove) Sydney, Charlottetown, Seguarnay, and an overnight in Quebec City. Peggys Cove is an hour bus ride from Halifax, a beautiful small fishing village. It has a lighthouse that you can walk out to.  The whole shore is a smooth ledge that goes like forever where the waves in places can splash up and over. (if the ledge rock is dark, don't step on as it could be slippery). We had the best lobster rolls at a small takeout seafood shack with a price of 28.00 each, which is very reasonable. One of the best lobster rolls I had with so much lobster in it we needed a fork. We stopped at a local artist gallery and purchased a small painting he had done of the village (i am talking about 25-40 homes total approx.) with his autograph.  On the way back to Halifax, the bus stopped at the Titanic cemetery to view the gravesites of the people who was pulled from the sea that were buried there. I would highly recommend this trip, foliage will be good from about mid Sept to mid Oct.   I would not go anytime after Oct 10 as the weather could get cold, windy rain.

• Like 2

@thorpemarlene The scenery you describe sounds lovely. It has to have been an unforgettable cruise. How long was this cruise itinerary? It sounds like I would want to spend lots of time off of the ship to enjoy all of these stunning areas. Which cruise line would you recommend for this cruise? I love reading about all of those special experiences that made this vacation so memorable. Do you have any photos you could share from your cruise? I would love to convince my husband to book such a cruise, but it's hard to get him to try new itineraries! 

Posted (edited)

We went on Norwegian for 8 days, it was great but on this trip it was all about the itinerary. Having said that, we have already booked another cruise to this same area in 2026 but on Princess instead. It's not like we had a problem with Norwegian but that Princess had the same stops except the cruise was two days longer, also stopping in Portland,Maine instead of Bar Harbor and the Bay of Fundy. It was 500.00 less which didn't hurt. The other thing we liked was that Princess was doing an overnight in Quebec City at the end. What this means is that we can spend two days in the city and not having to book an expensive hotel (and they are in the city). So on day one we tour the city, going back on board that night to eat or whatever, on day two we disembark, rent a car and tour a few hours more. Now instead of flying back to whereever, we drive down through Canada, entering Maine, New Hampshire and looking at the foliage. Car rentals are cheap in Quebec. To drive to Portland,Maine is 6 hrs. Portland is a lot less money to fly from than Quebec. Our cruise is from Sept 23 through Oct. 3 so this is peak foliage season, especially if you are driving through the western mountains of Maine and NH. 3 sisters look up foliage in NH or Quebec, i am sorry i am a little computer challenged as for some reason my computer (which i should replace) will not accept pics. from my phone)  But pics of Seguarney, Bar Harbor, etc on the internet should convince him. Just tell him to stop being stodgy Ha! Ha!

Edited by thorpemarlene
  • Like 1

@thorpemarlene Well I'm sold! I want to take this fjord itinerary now. I love how active you are at the ports. You really take advantage of your time off of the ship, exploring all the beauties the surrounding areas have to offer. If I cruised this itinerary I would want to do the exact same thing. Oftentimes I just get off the cruise and explore the port on foot and then get back on the ship thereafter. With such an incredible experience you had, I would want t do the exact same thing. You should be travel planners for this area! You really know how to do it right.