Cruise Hive Boards

MSC FOOD?

Disabledcruiser

Hi @Disabledcruiser! I'm a true MSC Cruises' fan, and I love the food offered onboard. It's certainly not American focused. The line has mostly European style meals that I happen to enjoy. I find the line to have lots of fresh foods and less processed foods onboard. The MDR is pretty good to me. The advice I have is to stick to the European options. The pasta is made onboard each ship and it's phenomenal. I also really like their pizza and fresh mozzarella also made on the ship. Not all guests like MSC Cruises' food, but I do. It's all a matter or preference.

2 hours ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

Hi @Disabledcruiser! I'm a true MSC Cruises' fan, and I love the food offered onboard. It's certainly not American focused. The line has mostly European style meals that I happen to enjoy. I find the line to have lots of fresh foods and less processed foods onboard. The MDR is pretty good to me. The advice I have is to stick to the European options. The pasta is made onboard each ship and it's phenomenal. I also really like their pizza and fresh mozzarella also made on the ship. Not all guests like MSC Cruises' food, but I do. It's all a matter or preference.

Pasta on an Italian ship just has to be good, or Italians themselves wouldn’t book with them. When you say “stick to European food” are you excluding meat dishes, other than Pizzas? Do they serve steak, lamb and pork, for instance?

Also, what are their specialty restaurants like and what do they charge?

• Like 1

@Disabledcruiser Specialty restaurants are very good and a decent price. There are plenty of options, but it depends on which ship you want to cruise on. If you like Japanese food this Kaito experience is awesome. I found an estimated menu. All of the food comes on a rotating belt, but you can also order al a cart. 

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/US/Documents/seascape/36463_08_CAR_THM_W2122_SH_KAITO_TABLE_MAT_ENG_OK.pdfhttps://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/US/Documents/seascape/36463_08_CAR_THM_W2122_SH_KAITO_TABLE_MAT_ENG_OK.pdf

Their meat dishes in the MDR are good! I enjoy the prime rib, and the other red meat options onboard. I got the filet a couple of nights actually and paired it with their signature penne alfredo. My kids got it one night and it's the best alfredo I have ever had! You will find plenty of fish and poultry options too. 

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas

The MDR has lots of protein options nightly from Pork Chops to Beef Sirloins. I don't think you will be disappointed. Gelato onboard is a must. The MDR serves a great breakfast and lunch too, super fresh! What are some food items you were disappointed about on your last MSC cruise? Their croissants are made fresh onboard too, and I haven't found another line that makes better pastries. If you want better, you can always do a specialty restaurant as you mentioned!

@FJB That shrimp bar looks incredible! I haven't seen anything like that before on a cruise. I wish more cruise lines offered fun alternatives at the bar like this! Mustard salmon sounds delicious, but how was the blueberry salmon? That's an interesting flavor combo. It seems like Celebrity Cruises is really stepping up its game in the culinary realm. This seafood is pretty impressive.

@Disabledcruiser You will find smoked salmon on MSC Cruises, but I haven't seen blueberry salmon on any of my recent itineraries. 

9 hours ago, Cruising Caribbean said:

@FJB That shrimp bar looks incredible! I haven't seen anything like that before on a cruise. I wish more cruise lines offered fun alternatives at the bar like this! Mustard salmon sounds delicious, but how was the blueberry salmon? That's an interesting flavor combo. It seems like Celebrity Cruises is really stepping up its game in the culinary realm. This seafood is pretty impressive.

@Disabledcruiser You will find smoked salmon on MSC Cruises, but I haven't seen blueberry salmon on any of my recent itineraries. 

I tried the blueberry salmon but not the mustard.  I would eat it again. 

@Disabledcruiser What other cruise lines have you been on that you enjoyed the food? Your food standards could be higher than mine. I thought it was all good enough, but if you want better I would definitely try the specialty restaurants onboard. They are very nice with delicious options to choose from. I haven't been on MSC Opera but I have been on over 6 of the other newer fleet members.

@FJB Look at that fish! I can't believe the amount of shrimp on that tray! It's a feast. Clearly Celebrity Cruises has a fine selection of seafood, better than most lines. It's like a throwback to how I remember cruise lines in the past. I remember so many food options that are now gone due to cutbacks, like the size of those lobster tails. Way to go Celebrity Cruises!

@Disabledcruiser MSC Cruises has good food. You may not find it at plentiful as the photos above, but for the price point, it's good enough!

I think food always seems to be a topic of conversation on most of the lines, they are either great, average or awful.  I have been on a few lines and really do not see a big difference in the buffet lines of most. The specialty dining is always better but cost. The free dining choice is a small step up from buffet, the only real difference to me is that someone serves you and it takes an hour, which i do not mind.  I just returned from a Norwegian cruise and i knew before booking that if i wanted really good dining i would need to book their specialty dining.  On the 7 night cruise we booked 4 specialty restaurants which were excellant, but it does cost.  Since i have cruised them a few times, i knew what to expect.  When it comes to MSC, we really like their buffet choices and dining.  It is more European flavored but we like it. Its fresh, more appealing the way its laid out and never is crowded to us. I would suggest to always go to the "rear" dining area, less crowded. But the pizza, salads, pastas are always fresh. I have noticed that MSC have heard the complaints on the American ships and seem to be addressing it with more American style foods. We are a funny people after all. We overeat way to much. To us we believe that if you can't find something you like there may be a problem. Do you really have a choice at home of over 100 items on your menu?? Probally not. Go for the entire experience and obviously if you don't like the food, you may not want to go to Europe.

• Like 1

@thorpemarlene I totally agree. It's good to hear you did your research and invested in some specialty dining options. That's one thing I really dislike about all cruise line buffet area! I don't like the crowded lines and lack of seating. I'm always looking for a more peaceful area with less crowds. Finding a table for a group larger than four can be seemingly impossible when dinning at the buffet! MSC Cruises definitely has a European flair to its food. Well said. It's likely you will find something you like with all the options onboard. Once you find something you like just stick to that! A positive outlook helps too!