NEW PORT FEES EVERYWHERE!

Tootie

I'm  at the breaking point on new port fees where it seems every cruise hive update has some port/country either raising or instituting a port fee. It is a vicious cycle where every stinkin' port wants me to support their economy. I already do with the money I spend in your port on food, drinks, alcohol, clothing and a variety of other items. IT STOPS HERE FOR ME!  There are no more unexplored ports, I've seen them all from what is now 3 cruise lines. From now on, having "seen it all," I will stay on the ship and spend nothing on shore. I'll still have to pay the fee unless I gripe at the cruise line enough to have the fee removed but I won't give them another nickel otherwise.

"I'M MAD AS H _ _ L  AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT! Some cruise line needs to tell these thieves, and I consider $30 million a year from one cruise line for one port thievery, let the cruise lines conspire together and tell these charlatans that they will no longer stop at their port/country. See who breaks first!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@Tootie I totally understand your frustration! No one wants to keep paying more for cruising. It's  a really hard pill to swallow. You can stay on the ship, but you will still be charges port taxes and fees. The best thing you can do it get off, walk around, and spending nothing while you are there. At leas you can see the port and walk around since you are indeed paying for it if you cruise whether you like it or not. I can see your passion, but it's highly unlikely any of these fees will be changed. It's basically it is what it is scenario. 

@Tootie  The ever increased costs of doing a cruise, or for that matter just traveling in general, does get frustrating.  I certainly get it and often get tired of the constant nickel-and-diming approach as well.  These port fees I think though continue a trend of attempts by countries and cities to counter the effects of rampant over-tourism.  The severe infrastructure, housing, and local community impacts just can't be ignored any longer.

Raising fees has both the effect of feeding much needed money into these communities to help them deal with these issues, as well as perhaps slowing down the volume of people to something more manageable.  Although, as you say, in the past you have spent a lot of money in these ports to help, there are many others who don't.  And, not all of that money if I were guessing gets back into the funds needed to address the above issues (going to the retailers instead)

These folks just walk around the ports, maybe window shop, visit the free areas (like churches, parks, etc.) and then get back on the ship.  As @3Sisters mentions, since you are paying the fee anyway, you might as well get off the ship and enjoy it to whatever degree you want.

Maybe one answer is to broaden your cruise port choices and find ports that you haven't seen — Europe, Alaska, Japan, Australia, etc.  At least you'll have the opportunity to feel like you are getting something for those fees.  😉  Or maybe, consider doing a river cruise which will greatly expand the type of ports visited that will give you even more opportunities to explore new places.  Look for the road less traveled as well.

• Like 1

@RoadTravelled Thanks for sharing! I value your view. It's true that you might as well get off the ship and enjoy if you are cruising there! You also might as well cruise to places you haven't been before, places that would entice you to get out and explore. It's quite alright to stay on the ship and not get off. I happen to do it all the time. I love to stay on the ship and enjoy it when others are off. Ideally, I would cruise longer and to more exotic itineraries, but those itineraries aren't in my budget right now.

@Tootie The port fees and taxes are no joke, but if you factor in flights and stay by traveling other ways, those fees become menial because cruising is actually a great deal in comparison!

• Like 1

@Tootie Did you see the new fees for the Greek Islands? Those fees won't stop tourists. It will be about an extra $22 per passenger. Yes, it sucks, but to be there I think it's still worth it. Have you been to the Greek Islands before? It costs way more to fly to and fro around there. I'm cool with the extra $22 to get to a dream destination! 

image.thumb.png.b060820a71e0291dae0fd5b9f2355fa9.png

• Like 1

I saw that Greek Island update. The $22 extra is still worth it, but it certainly does jack up the overall cruise price. A Greek Island cruise has always been on the steeper end, like Hawaiian cruises! It's an exclusive and popular destination. The views are spectacular there! Port fees and taxes will not go down. They will only increase as time passes. @Tootie Do you really think that those prices would ever drop lower?

On 9/10/2024 at 7:35 AM, 3Sisters said:

@Tootie I totally understand your frustration! No one wants to keep paying more for cruising. It's  a really hard pill to swallow. You can stay on the ship, but you will still be charges port taxes and fees. The best thing you can do it get off, walk around, and spending nothing while you are there. At leas you can see the port and walk around since you are indeed paying for it if you cruise whether you like it or not. I can see your passion, but it's highly unlikely any of these fees will be changed. It's basically it is what it is scenario. 

I've been to virtually all of the ports Carnival services many times. I obviously know I will pay the fee but I see no need to support the various ports with my dollars. I may get of at a port but I won't spend any money there. Cruisers are beginning to be treated like 2nd class citizens.

5 hours ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

I saw that Greek Island update. The $22 extra is still worth it, but it certainly does jack up the overall cruise price. A Greek Island cruise has always been on the steeper end, like Hawaiian cruises! It's an exclusive and popular destination. The views are spectacular there! Port fees and taxes will not go down. They will only increase as time passes. @Tootie Do you really think that those prices would ever drop lower?

No, the fees will continue to increase. As you may know, Santorini seems to be intent on limiting all cruise lines. I think that Athens - not sure of the port - is about to do the same. So far, all of my travels have been in the carribbean so I won't miss much. IF I travel to more distant ports outside of the carribbean, I may change my tune.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2024 at 7:35 AM, 3Sisters said:

Precisely! I have been to virtually all carribbean ports multiple times.

3 hours ago, Tootie said:

I've been to virtually all of the ports Carnival services many times. I obviously know I will pay the fee but I see no need to support the various ports with my dollars. I may get of at a port but I won't spend any money there. Cruisers are beginning to be treated like 2nd class citizens.

I blame the cruiselines for the overtourism which has led to the increased port fees and cruisers being treated as 2nd class citizens.   They have built all of these mega ships which they now have to fill to stay profitable.  The ports didn’t sign up for 5000 passenger ships to show up - they were designed for 1000-2000 passenger ships.  Too much of a good thing is a bad thing.  

• Thanks 1

@Tootie That's fair to say about Caribbean ports. They are just so popular now! Guests will continue to cruise there regardless. I typically go the Caribbean route and will stay on the ship. 
I have been tons of times and prefer the quiet buffet.

@FJB That's an interesting perspective. I guess the amount of guests on ships is getting out of hand. It's a lot for the ports to handle. Not all ships and lines are going the mega ship route, but so many lines are trending this way. I'm not sure why new cruisers are so attracted to this, I love the medium sized cruise. I don't need mega ship amenities either.