Cruise Hive Boards

Anyone in Rome before the November 4th Island Princess sailing?

smz42

We are looking for people to join us on Saturday November 2nd for a trip to the Minardi Winery in Frascati (a 20-25 minute train ride from Roma Termini Station) for a 4 hour Pizza Making Class, wine tastings of the wines they produce, olive oil tastings, tours of the winery and vineyards, and then lunch that will include the pizzas we made during the class, appetizers made by the chef, wine, water, and sweets.

The winery will pick us up from the train station and return us there after the tour and lunch.

The cost of the private tour is 590€, so 74€ per person if we have 8 people and 98€ per person if we have 6 people.

Steve

• Like 2

@smz42 That sounds like such a lovely trip! If I was on this sailing I would totally join in on this! Have you cruised on Island Princess in the past? The price for this tour also seems very reasonable. I hope you have a lovely cruise and find some other cruise guests to tag along! How many nights is your cruise? 

image.thumb.png.b063fc99cb3b02a26c9b9b7b7db7294d.png

On 7/22/2024 at 3:41 PM, Cruising Caribbean said:

@smz42 That sounds like such a lovely trip! If I was on this sailing I would totally join in on this! Have you cruised on Island Princess in the past? The price for this tour also seems very reasonable. I hope you have a lovely cruise and find some other cruise guests to tag along! How many nights is your cruise? 

image.thumb.png.b063fc99cb3b02a26c9b9b7b7db7294d.png

We have sailed on several Princess cruises in the past, but never on the Island Princess. The cruise is 10 nights, r.t. Rome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@smz42 What an excellent itinerary! I love a good 7 to 14 night cruise. You will surely enjoy this cruise on Island Princess, and what a great way to start off the voyage with a Winery tour. I love wineries so this is very much of interest to me. Please let me know if you felt that tour was worthwhile and if you would recommend it. Many guests love to cruise out of Rome and gathering 6 people for the tour shouldn't be too difficult! How many others are you cruising with?

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas

7 hours ago, Kendall James-Vargas said:

@smz42 What an excellent itinerary! I love a good 7 to 14 night cruise. You will surely enjoy this cruise on Island Princess, and what a great way to start off the voyage with a Winery tour. I love wineries so this is very much of interest to me. Please let me know if you felt that tour was worthwhile and if you would recommend it. Many guests love to cruise out of Rome and gathering 6 people for the tour shouldn't be too difficult! How many others are you cruising with?

Just 2 of us on the cruise. So far, no takers on the Winery tour and Pizza Class. If we actually get a group to go, I'll let you know how the tour was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@smz42 That's a bummer you haven't found anyone to join you on this tour. It's not too far out from your cruise date either, but I would remain hopeful you can find other cruisers that will join in. You still have a bit of time. Are there any other options that you could do just for your party of two? It could be nice to not have to rely on others. There have to be other wineries that don't require a minimum participant count. Does this tour provide transport to and from the winery? 

13 hours ago, Cruising Caribbean said:

@smz42 That's a bummer you haven't found anyone to join you on this tour. It's not too far out from your cruise date either, but I would remain hopeful you can find other cruisers that will join in. You still have a bit of time. Are there any other options that you could do just for your party of two? It could be nice to not have to rely on others. There have to be other wineries that don't require a minimum participant count. Does this tour provide transport to and from the winery? 

The Frascati Winery tour can be booked individually from April to October. They only book it as a private tour from November to March, the cost for which is €590. That's steep for just 2 people and that's why I'm looking for others to join.

The fare from the Rome Termini Station is only €1.5 each way and the trip only takes 20 minutes. The Winery picks you up from the station and drops you there after the tour.

Our hotel in Rome has a nearby family family farm and conducts tours of their farm and a nearby winery and then have lunch at the farm. They provide transportation from the hotel to the farm and winery and then back to the hotel. We will do their tour, but wanted to do the Frascati one as well because of the Pizza making class.

• Thanks 2

@smz42 Thanks for divulging all of those details! Wineries in general are seasonal because they are typically vineyards so this makes a lot of sense. I don't blame you for wanting others to join in. I think it's a brilliant idea! I love that the family farm idea as well. It is at least one guarantee, while you anticipate to find others for the Frascati Winery Tour. A pizza making class all rolled into one is also a brilliant pairing. It's a unique experience I hope you get to enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

@smz42 It sounds like a lovely experience. I hope you get to experience it! It's quite the perfect pairing of wine and pizza making. Two beautiful and delicious forms of art. I love that transportation is included in the price. Finding transport in a foreign country is not always easy, particularly when you don't speak the primary language. I agree that price for two is quite steep but it seems like an unforgettable experience. Keep us posted on how things turn out.