New Feature in Cabins - Night Light?

I can't find the thread discussing this topic.   So I had to make a new topic.

The night lights on the floor should be removed and not touched with - I can tell a major of cruisers prefer dark cabins - let them sleep.   Or change it to red light cuz thats what astronomers use to retain their night vision, then again it would appear creepy to some, so the best thing is just remove the night light on floor.. 

• Thanks 1

@Alintak So I think the nightlights on the floor are in the halls for safety. Are you referring to lights in your cabin? I have always been able to completely ship those off. I didn't realize CCL now has night lights in the cabins. I would be annoyed if I couldn't get my stateroom completely dark. I love my dark stateroom so much so that I actually book interior-only cabins for the most part because I prefer complete darkness. Is there really no way to shut off those floor nightlights? I find it hard to believe more guests aren't complaining about this. Which ship did you experience this new feature? 

10 hours ago, 3Sisters said:

@Alintak So I think the nightlights on the floor are in the halls for safety. Are you referring to lights in your cabin? I have always been able to completely ship those off. I didn't realize CCL now has night lights in the cabins. I would be annoyed if I couldn't get my stateroom completely dark. I love my dark stateroom so much so that I actually book interior-only cabins for the most part because I prefer complete darkness. Is there really no way to shut off those floor nightlights? I find it hard to believe more guests aren't complaining about this. Which ship did you experience this new feature? 

@3Sisters  Apparently this is a new feature that they are slowly adding to all of the cabins fleetwide on Carnival ships.  John Heald, brand ambassador, posted a video a couple of days ago of how it works.  It's designed to help people get to the bathroom safely at night.  The white light is underneath the wardrobe closets across from the bathroom in kind of a track it seems.  There is a sensor that triggers when you get out of bed to light the floor in that little hallway.  It goes off automatically after about a minute.

It is fairly bright as many people have noted and as I see from the video.  And, there have already been a ton of people complaining about it, especially since apparently there is no way to turn it off.  There's also the problem of when you have a 3rd person sleeping on the couch.  Every time they turn over the sensor goes off.

The easiest work-around I've seen posted so far is to put a band-aid over the sensor itself.  It is located on the light at floor level under the closet.  It looks like a red button.  I'm not sure this was thought through all of the way.

• Thanks 1

@RoadTravelled Thanks for sharing this update! I agree with @Alintak in the sense liking the opportunity to dim cabin lights completely. I see the safety value these sensor lights add, but I do wish that they could be shut off. It would be really nice to opt out of/away from that cabin feature. I typically fill up my stateroom with guest and I would be so annoyed if the lights would go on when someone merely rolled over in bed. 

This bandaid hack is a huge help! If I end up in a stateroom like this I will certainly put a bandaid over the sensor. Lights while I'm sleeping is a big no for me. It messes with my circadian rhythm big time! The idea behind the lights makes sense, but I'm not a fan. I will opt out as long as I have the chance. 

image.thumb.png.5de634136ca4a642841d40a224d79263.png

• Like 1

Celebrity  has  had night lites in their bathrooms for years - a soft glow in the bathroom itself.  It’s really a nice touch in my opinion.  Nothing as bright as what the pic above shows on a Carnival ship.  

• Thanks 2

@FJB Thanks for providing that comparison. Honestly, I don't know what CCL was thinking. The fact that you can't shut off the feature and it's that bright just irritates me. In all honesty I would probably avoid booking any of these staterooms, avoiding the ships that have this because it would bothers me that much. I don't mind the mildd bathroom light. That makes sense and you can shut the bathroom door. The placement of the CCL stateroom lights seems so inconvenient. How do you think CCL could fix this issue? I'm sure it would be such a pain to remove them entirely. @RoadTravelled Not many people are keen on this addition. 

• 2 weeks later...

@RoadTravelled I completely agree. I don't understand why the feature can't be shut off. I would have a different tune if this feature could be shut off or optional. I wish CCL didn't make them so bright in general. It seems like a nice safety feature, but it's too bright. I like the room dark when I sleep! 

@FJB I think a night light in thee bathroom makes sense! You want to be able to see where to flush. I wish CCL did something like that instead. It makes more sense. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious if anyone took a look at the light? I’d like an idea of how big it is. I’ll pack a piece of red stage gel and cover it. Dims it and keeps your night vision for those concerned about it. For me, I’m more apt to be woke by the person getting out of bed than a light coming on. 

@TPR I haven't actually seen the light in person. That's a brilliant idea to pack some stage gel to cover it. I think you could really cover it multiple ways. Even just covering it with a pillow could work. It's the brightness that seems to be the biggest issue. You could also block the sensor potentially with a bandaid according to others. When will you be onboard to try the trick? I'm curious what ends up working for you.