Poods65

The mobility scooter issue boils down to one thing:  the cruise ships have limited handicapped cabins available on each ship. So, when you arrive at the port for embarkation, there’s always a company there that rents scooters to passengers with regular cabins. Therefore, the scooters don’t fit in cabins. And you’ve got a ton of people on the ship that have never used a scooter before running roughshod over the ship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Ruth Eckert That is true, but it's not an excuse. I think cruise lines should do a better job about regulating handicapped rooms, using them only for those that need it. This would eliminate so much of the headache of scooters in the halls. The scooters rented have to be compliant. If they aren't compliant, they shouldn't be allowed onboard. If other guests aren't compliant with other rules, they aren't allowed to board the ship. It's truly the same thing. I'm not sure why its so easy to avoid following the rules with this. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Ruth Eckert It's true! With limited accessible rooms and guests that take advantage of those staterooms unnecessarily, it's really a recipe for disaster. Guests that require mobility devices are welcome to cruise. It's unfair that accessible staterooms aren't always available to book due to other guests book out those rooms for more cabin space. If your scooter doesn't meet the requirements you shouldn't be allowed to board. That makes the most sense! I also think if you don't have a mobility device, you shouldn't be allowed to book a handicapped accessible stateroom. Don't you think?

@Ruth Eckert Thanks for sharing that insight. For the safety and comfortability of all guests onboard, it makes the most sense to ensure all handicapped rooms are utilized by those that need it. Those that will be cruising with a mobility device should be in an accessible stateroom. Those who don't need an accessible stateroom should not be in a handicapped stateroom. That's what they are for! If handicapped guests aren't given the proper staterooms, things like scooters in the halls can become a safety issue, not to mentions it's not comfortable for those that need a bigger space to maneuver their stateroom!

I often see scooter riders on the jogging track at the top of the ship. I guess it's a new way to stay in shape and get your exercise in . . . . . I turn 75 in a few weeks so I figure that day is coming for me too!

Edited by Tootie
More Information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Tootie That's interesting. Do you see guests riding scooters on the track? I oftentimes run on the track but I haven't seen anyone riding a scooter out there before. I get annoyed when the track isn't open for me to run. Oftentimes guests will block it with chairs or stand on the track, not paying attention to those who are running. I would hope that wasn't the case with the scooter drivers!

• 4 weeks later...

@Tootie I would call that scootercise. It's scooter exercise. I run the track. As long as the scooters keep up, I wouldn't mind. I typically see no one on the track other than someone drinking too much wobbling in it. I politely ask them to move while I'm running but sometimes I have to run around a pool lounger to dodge them. Those wobbly pool people are a dime a dozen on vacation.