Chocolate Is Essential

I am a chocoholic! Besides the melting chocolate cake in the dining roomI eat a bit every night before falling asleep. It is difficult to do that with the chocolate offered at Cherry On Top. The chocolate they offer is made up of huge chunks that you can't break down to smaller bite size pieces. Because of the size, they are essentially inedible. I try to bring chocolate on board fro, m shops near the port but every time that I do, I am confronted by staff saying it is unacceptable to bring it onto the ship. Perhaps Carnival can find another source that lends itself to being more readily consumable!

• Like 1

@Tootie That's very interesting! I haven't tried the Cherry on Top chocolate onboard CCL. Bite sized chocolate is the best. I don't understand why it wouldn't be breakable! I don't think the staff should condemn you for bringing other chocolate onboard. I was under the impression you could bring snacks of your choice onboard. I haven't been stopped from bringing chocolate onboard before. It's such a shame you have been told this!

The issue was that the chocolate I brought onboard was freshly made - chocolate "bars," peanut clusters, etc. I also bring candied fruit slices and maybe some taffy. None of the items come in any sort of packaging but rather loose in a bag or box for each individual group of items. The King Confectionery on the Strand in Galveston carries wonderful products made in-house and they're only a few blocks from the cruise terminal.

• Thanks 1

@Tootie There is nothing wrong with freshly made! The bark idea would be better because it's easier to break apart. Thinner or smaller chocolate pieces are definitely preferred. I'm quite surprised you haven't been able to find another chocolate option that offered bite sized chocolates you would enjoy at Cherry On Top. The King Confectionary sounds excellent! I'm glad you shared this tip with me because I will be cruising out of Galveston for the first time! I'm excited to cruise out of a new port. What are some of your favorite treats to purchase at that confectionary? I'm a big dark chocolate fan.

@Tootie @3Sisters  As I understand it, the reason CCL does not allow unpackaged food (e.g. homemade, freshly made at retail stores, etc.) to come onboard is one of health considerations.  Apparently there were instances of such items being brought and distributed to members of the crew by guests in the past.  And, for whatever reason, it made crew members ill (spoiled items, contaminated in error, non-agreeable ingredients, etc.).  So, CCL now does not allow anything except pre-packaged items.  They can not afford to have crew members sick for many obvious reasons.

I bring Ghirardelli chocolate squares that are packaged in individual packets to hand out to crew as a thank you. They are a great size (about 2 bites worth) and are excellent quality.  The crew loves them (and of course I have to have some on the trip as well each night...LOL).  You can buy them all over the place so easily available.  I've never had any issue with bringing them onboard.  I just make sure I don't open the bag of them prior to boarding.  A bag of about 15 individually wrapped squares or so will only cost you around $6.  So well worth it.

• Thanks 1

@RoadTravelled I saw that article actually!  It makes sense that homemade goods aren't really regulated and for that reason it's safer just to stay away from them completely. It's fair that the cruise line is trying to protect its crew and keep them healthy to do good work. You never know what guests may put inn their goodies! I like the idea of Ghiradelli chocolate squares! Those are easy to bring onboard and hand out. I didn't think you should have an issue to bring pre-packaged goods onboard. That's why I was surprised by @Tootie's review. Maybe that's what is most important, keeping the bag completely sealed. That could have been the issue! 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to take so long to reply. The loose chocolates I bring on board are peanut clusters and plain chocolate pieces. They are solely for my and my wife's consumption. I also bring a large bag of Reese's Pieces that I hand out to the crew. IF I have enough at the end of the cruise, I make a thank you note with those pieces on the bed along with a gratuity. I haven't been prevented from bringing it on board but am always told that it is against Carnival's policies.

• Thanks 1

@Tootie That's alright! Those chocolate treats sounds delightful. Do you prefer milk or dark chocolate? You can't go wrong with Reese's Pieces. That's a great treat to bring along and share! I have been to Hershey Park and my brother got a Reese's Pieces cake delivered to our cabana that was out of this world. I don't think I have ever had a cake that compared if I'm being honest. I love that you leave a treat alongside your gratuities. That's a sweet idea. I hope you continue to bring your packaged treats onboard. I do think prepackaged treats are allowed, and unless you are homemaking them, you should be able to bring them along! 

• 3 weeks later...

@Tootie That's absolutely right: chocolate is essential. Getting chocolates at ports of call is certainly allowed and welcome! You can get amazing chocolates while exploring off-ships and bring them back onboard to enjoy. I love to do that and it shouldn't be discouraged. It makes for a grand souvenir! I wouldn't let anyone tell you otherwise. 

@RoadTravelled That's great advice. I think Ghirardelli chocolate squares would be ideal for giveaways and to take along for yourself as a treat! I have enjoyed Ghirardelli Square in San Francisco on several occasions when I lived nearby, and their sweets are just the best. It's hard to beat honestly. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Kendall James-Vargas

Try the King Confectionery on the Strand in Galveston. They carry a wonderful bunch of sweets, from chocoltes, hard candies, taffy and other soft candies as well as popcorn and ice cream in-house and they're only a few blocks from the cruise terminal. For me, at 75, I'm well past the point of not exploring my sugar addiction. I make up for it in BBQ and Tex Mex!

• Thanks 1

@Tootie Thanks for this recommendation! I certainly will give it a try when I'm in Galveston. I love the variety that the confectionary offers. The only sweet I'm not fond of is taffy. I wish I enjoyed it more but it's just not my favorite. I'm right there with you with the Mexican! I will take a margarita over candies any day. The in house ice cream also sounds brilliant. Do you make any of these items at home? I happen to love hot tamales, but I try to stay away from red dye. I have been wanting to make those candies by myself without the dye, but I haven't found a good recipe yet.