Carnival Freinze Dembarkation fiasco

Just got off the Carnival Freinze in Long Beach,Ca..very disorganized with only one way off the ship leading to a very long wait to get off.  Elevator passengers skipping people that have waited in line pationatly with a few arguments breaking out. My advice - Get off ship as early as possible,  like as soon as it docks.

• Thanks 1

@Mario Dopico I'm so bummed to read that! I have been excited to try these Carnival Italian style ships like Carnival Firenze because I love Costa Cruises. I guess the ship is still working out some kinks. I wonder why it was so disorganized. Did you have any issues with luggage? Were you one of the last ones off the ship? Other than the disembarkation process, were there any other things you liked/disliked about your Carnival Firenze cruise? I would love to hear more about the food, service, itinerary, and activity schedule onboard!

image.thumb.png.2f685eb177e22399fa3863c5550db59e.png

@Mario Dopico @Kendall James-Vargas  We sailed on the Carnival Venezia out of NYC late last year (the sister ship to the Firenze).  We had just a fabulous time.  The ship is beautiful and felt really upgraded from the typical Carnival ship with excellent food and crew and cabins.  I highly recommend you travel on these "Italian Style" ships if you get a chance.

The debark process for us was very quick and easy.  Once our group was called we were off the ship and at customs I bet in less that 10 minutes — so easy.  We always do self-assist which gets you off the ship as soon as customs clears the ship.  Remember, you can not get off the ship "as soon as it docks."  Customs and immigration must clear the ship first and then the crew must start unloading all of the luggage to the dock and getting it setup for people to claim before they will start (another reason to do self-assist if at all possible).

Carnival has a very detailed and organized way for people to debark.  If people follow this process and only go when their group is called, it makes it easy.  But, some people just ignore this and circumvent the plan.  And, of course, there is only one way off the ship as that's where the gangway is.  So, the larger the ship (and more people on board) the more critical that people follow the process.  When they don't is when lines get backed up.  I've also heard, anecdotally, that Long Beach port itself is not that organized, which may have contributed to some of the issues here.  Not sure.

Edited by RoadTravelled
spell check
  • Like 1

@Mario Dopico Thanks for sharing your experience with Italian style ships. I have been very intrigued about how these ships would differ from the traditional CCL fleet. It's a shame the disembarkation process was that difficult. I had a similar experience recently out of Port Canaveral and sometimes it's honestly the port's fault. Long Beach has been a a homeport for CCL ships for a while. I would honestly be surprised if the port didn't know what it was doing by now. Have you cruised out of Long Beach without issue before?

@RoadTravelled I appreciate reading your experience with Carnival Venezia. Do you get priority disembarkation? I have looked into trying this new brand of ship because I think it may attract a different crowd. I prefer a more peaceful crowd. 

6 hours ago, Cruising Caribbean said:

I have looked into trying this new brand of ship because I think it may attract a different crowd. I prefer a more peaceful crowd. 

Are you insinuating that the average Carnival crowd is not peaceful….

• Haha 1

I have sailed out of Long Beach many times over the years and each time the embarkation and debarkation process has been without issue for the most part.  I will say the I have seen some congestion at times and frankly it's typically the self assist people trying to lug their luggage off the ship going down stairs and elevators, yes ive seen a few people (non self assist) think thwy can go when they want . Frankly none of it has been catastrophic or out of control at any port that ive been too.

Now if you look at every ship debarkation process they all only have one gangway and everyone streams to it so congestion happens. 

I for one never self assist as I would much rather go to my meet point, relax have cup of coffee and some continental breakfast items then stroll off the ship without stress when it's my turn.

Why end a perfectly wonder vacation stressing over debarkation.

I will be sailing Sept 7 out of Long Beach on the Firenze and as usual I will provide a full review.

• Like 1

Final note is that if it was an absolute disaster as you say, which I believe you. It doesn't sound like it was a CCL issue but more of a guest/people issue. 

Edited by euroguy
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Cruising Caribbean said:

@RoadTravelled I appreciate reading your experience with Carnival Venezia. Do you get priority disembarkation? I have looked into trying this new brand of ship because I think it may attract a different crowd. I prefer a more peaceful crowd. 

@Cruising Caribbean Yes, we are Platinum so get priority, but since we do self-assist, it doesn't matter because they go off the ship first anyway.

• Like 1

@RoadTravelled Priority disembarkation is the way to go, as long as your luggage is ready for you! Does self-assist mean you walk your own luggage off the ship? That's something I have yet to do. I mainly haven't done it before because of how many things I would have to carry off!

@euroguy I'm excited for your Carnival Firenze cruise! It's about 3 months or less away, which blows my mind. That went by so fast! I appreciate your perspective of the Long Beach port. I really wonder why @Mario Dopico's disembarkation process was so strenuous. I wonder if there was a staffing issue or what could have happened on the backend. I hope you don't have to experience the same thing in September. Hopefully CCL can work out the kinks by then.

5 hours ago, 3Sisters said:

@RoadTravelled Priority disembarkation is the way to go, as long as your luggage is ready for you! Does self-assist mean you walk your own luggage off the ship? That's something I have yet to do. I mainly haven't done it before because of how many things I would have to carry off!

@3Sisters  Yes, self-assist means you take all of your luggage off yourself.  Click here for more details on "Option 1."  I've slowly (and somewhat reluctantly...LOL) learned how to pack MUCH lighter than I used to do.  So, I'm down to a backpack and small roller-board suitcase even for 14-day cruises.  It's very easy to carry off as I put the backpack on top of the roller-board next to the handle and just go.  We are off in minutes and in the ride-share car to the airport.

• Thanks 1

@RoadTravelled Do you ever feel like taking your own luggage off the cruise ship is too much? Typically when you opt for self-assist do you get to disembark earlier than other guests? I think I'm getting to that point too. I don't need as much as I thought that I would, and I enjoy not having to take as much dirty clothes back home with me. A small roller suitcase would be a no way for me unless it was a weekend getaway. For a 14-day cruise, I could never pack that light! One perk would be having your things with you as you walk aboard the ship. Sometimes luggage takes a while to arrive at your stateroom. Also, if you suitcase gets lots you are basically doomed. I have had nigh terrors of being in the middle of the ocean with no clothes other than the ones on my back. It's nice not to have to wait for your luggage, but how do you pack for lightly? I could certainly use some tips. If you self-assist you will definitely have less wait times during the disembarkation process, particularly if you get priority disembarkation! 

I can't imagine packing so light that it would be a small rolling case and backpack. The only way I could think to do it was if all I packed was t-shirts, shorts and flip flops 🤔 🤣  

I do have 1 standard size suite case and my garment bag for just me, but im carrying my Tux dress shirts for dining, some shorts, casual wear shirts and t-shirts, couple slacks and or pants for dinners and the odds and ends. At end of day about 35-40 lbs for the suitcase and about 25-30 pounds for the garment bag.

I probably could with a few less casual and or shirts but sometimes my moods change and think one looks better than the other so.... I like to have choices 😌 

@3Sisters @euroguy  My roller-board maybe better characterized as "medium" perhaps?  It is about 21" tall and expands to about 9" deep.  Like you, in the end it usually ways around 40 lbs. as I stuff it as full as I can get it.    And, the backpack is also jammed full including my extra pair of shoes and even my laptop.  So, it weighs quite a bit but still fits on top of the roller-board.

When boarding, I do check the roller-board with the port crew and have it delivered to the room.  I only carry the backpack on the ship.  Since we are Platinum, we can drop the backpack in the cabin, even before they are officially ready, and then immediately leave so the stewards can finish their work.  That makes it easy to get on with stuff on the ship without having to drag luggage around.

We've pretty much given up on worrying about suits and tux wear.  We just bring a nice collared dress shirt and nice sweater or vest to wear over it with dress pants.  That's the dressiest that we get.  I pick clothes that can be mixed and matched and wear them multiple times, especially jeans and shorts.  If we are expecting cold weather, I wear my coat on the plane rather than packing it.  Since we get free laundry now, the longer voyages can do with less as we just have the basics cleaned mid-trip (socks, t-shirts, and underwear).  During the night we air out everything (leave the closet doors open).  We still try to dress appropriately and feel clean, I just don't obsess over it like I used to (I would never wear anything twice in years past for instance).

Yes, if you self-assist, you are the first off the ship.  And, we've never had a problem with doing that.  In fact, it makes it really easy because there is usually no line (everyone else is waiting for their group to get called).  And, as noted above, we are off the ship and in the taxi in less that 10 minutes or so.  The only clog we usually have is getting an elevator.  As you probably know, the crew locks down the mid-ship elevators to move luggage which restricts availability.  But, getting ahead of the crowd is key, so we do the self-assist and will do so as long as we are able to that physically.

• Like 1

@RoadTravelled A medium suitcase may be something I could work with. A rolling suitcase could be manageable but trying to walk about with your suitcase and grab your breakfast at the buffet before you head out is so stressful. Those Platinum perks sure do come in handy! At least the backpack can hold some necessities and you have the opportunity to drop it off at your stateroom immediately. I always have to carry around whatever I bring onboard until dinner time. You probably get your suitcases faster too! 

Giving up on the fancy evening clothes is a big thing! The nightly attire takes up significant space. Suit jackets are a pain to keep pressed, particularly if you try to put them in a suitcase. The free laundry perk is also huge! I have yet to experience that. Many cruise lines that I have higher loyalty with don't offer that perk. I'm also one of those that getting used to reusing cover ups and bathing suits. In years past I would have one bathing suit and coverup set picked out each day. 

If you self-assist do you have time to have a bite of breakfast beforehand? The elevator always gets so busy with people and their luggage! That drives me crazy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3Sisters said:

If you self-assist do you have time to have a bite of breakfast beforehand? The elevator always gets so busy with people and their luggage! That drives me crazy. 

Yes, we go up and grab a quick breakfast in the buffet.  As I remember, you only have to be out of the cabin by 8:30am.  So, after breakfast, we come back to the cabin, finish packing, and then head out.  Easy!

• Like 1

@RoadTravelled I like your disembarkation routine! I tend to let the crew members take care of my luggage, but that can come with its own set of issues. Thankfully I haven't lost any luggage, but I have had to wait in very long lines to retrieve my bags. The idea of having breakfast in the buffet early enough and leaving your luggage in your stateroom is a grand idea. The problem I have is mainly the elevators! Getting off the ship with many suitcases and lots of kids without elevator space is nearly impossible. The idea of potentially getting breakfast in bed the day of disembarkation is also a smart move. Not having to fight early buffet crowds is typically best.

Edited by Kendall James-Vargas